Author Topic: Deputy who stayed outside during Parkland shooting arrested and charged with child neglect  (Read 1779 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Here's the story on Israel owing Peterson BIG time!

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/04/report-coward-broward-covered-sexual-assault-incident-involving-sheriff-scott-israels-son/

@Bigun

Thanks!

Looks to me like Sheriff Israel is now in "duck and cover" mode,hoping to hold out long enough to start collecting his pension before the cards begin to fall.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

@sneakypete

I remember a number of explanations came out at the time as to why the deputy did not act.  One was that protocol dictated he not enter until backup arrived....

When other officers arrived, he directed them to stay back 500 ft and not enter the building.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-scot-peterson-arrested-terminated-20190604-247rpiefs5abpjkv43jgdlayhi-story.html

...The investigation showed Peterson refused to investigate where the gunshots were coming from, retreated during the gunfire as victims were being shot, did not move from his hiding place for 48 minutes and directed other law enforcement who arrived on the scene to remain 500 feet away from the building, FDLE spokeswoman Jessica Cary said in an emailed statement....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I remember a number of explanations came out at the time as to why the deputy did not act.  One was that protocol dictated he not enter until backup arrived.  Another said he was not allowed to carry his firearm on school property grounds.  Unfortunately, I'm not at home where my laptop is, so I can't find any links to share on this subject.  Maybe I'll hunt for them later.  Could be these explanations were not true. 

Don't know if the charges will stick or not.  A lot might depend on whether there were valid reasons for him not going into the school -- or more specifically, whether the court will find any defense to these charges as valid.  As I said before though, even if he is exonerated, I expect he will always be blamed for not at least trying to save lives.

@Applewood

I am not a lawyer and I don't play a lawyer on teebee,but I can't see any set of circumstances that would restrict a sworn police officer from entering ANY public building with his firearm drawn while in pursuit of a shooting suspect.

The guy just punked out,period. At least one report claims he even told the first cops that showed up that the shooter was in another building.

I don't know how accurate any of these reports are,but the one thing I am POSITIVE about is a sworn police officer not only has a right,but has a DUTY to enter a building to track down and try to arrest a shooter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Applewood

I am not a lawyer and I don't play a lawyer on teebee,but I can't see any set of circumstances that would restrict a sworn police officer from entering ANY public building with his firearm drawn while in pursuit of a shooting suspect.

The guy just punked out,period. At least one report claims he even told the first cops that showed up that the shooter was in another building.

I don't know how accurate any of these reports are,but the one thing I am POSITIVE about is a sworn police officer not only has a right,but has a DUTY to enter a building to track down and try to arrest a shooter.

Wasn't there a court decision years ago that a Police Officer does not have the duty to protect?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wasn't there a court decision years ago that a Police Officer does not have the duty to protect?

@Cyber Liberty

I don't know,but I suppose anything is possible  in 21st Century 'murika.

Offline thackney

Correct.

U.S. judge says law enforcement officers had no legal duty to protect Parkland students during mass shooting
https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2018/12/21/us-judge-says-law-enforcement-officers-had-no-legal-duty-protect-parkland-students-during-mass-shooting/?utm_term=.f1b5fa1aa1ed

It is likely why the charge is neglect of a child.  As he was assigned to the school, his purpose in this case is likely viewed as a teacher that abandoned their children.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline goatprairie

If the job of the police is not to protect, then why do they put "to serve and protect" on a lot of cop cars?
I think it would be implicit that the job of the police is to protect the citizens, if not, WHY THE HELL HIRE THEM!!!!
If I hire an armed guard to protect my place of business, and he does nothing when the place gets robbed, I think I would be in my rights to sue him.

Offline berdie

I have a hard time understanding how this guy lives with himself.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
My guess is that he'll be permitted to plead guilty to a lesser change and get off with, say, 10 years' sentence, out in 5...

Offline verga

IMHO,this is just the sheriff using distraction to remove attention from himself. He KNEW the guy was a slug. That was why he was assigned as a school cop. He was lazy and non-aggressive in addition to being old and fat,and nobody wanted to partner with him,so they put him in a school to put in his time until he could retire.

Who here REALLY thinks they put their best cops at schools?
IK can't / won't speak for other areas. but the SRO's around here are not slugs by any stretch of the imagination. In 13 years I have been here we have had 3 different ones and they have all been top notch. Two are former military. All three have been very supportive and involved with various things even in their off hours.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IK can't / won't speak for other areas. but the SRO's around here are not slugs by any stretch of the imagination. In 13 years I have been here we have had 3 different ones and they have all been top notch. Two are former military. All three have been very supportive and involved with various things even in their off hours.

@verga

Good to know,but I still think they could be put to better use elsewhere.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@verga

Good to know,but I still think they could be put to better use elsewhere.

Protecting and policing schools isn't a good use?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Even a Realtor is required to take/attend Continuing Education Classes (CEC) every year.

If he is required to work in a school environment, he should have had similar hands-on training for such an event.

One would think you'd see right away that he held self-preservation above protecting the public/students in this case.  This is awful what he did.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Protecting and policing schools isn't a good use?

@Sanguine

Not really.

How many schools are there in America?

How many have attacks each year?

Offline verga

@Sanguine

Not really.

How many schools are there in America?

How many have attacks each year?
That is not the sole function. Ours deal with issues that arise over the course of the year. These include fights, thefts, harassment, normal policing duties.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.