Author Topic: Here’s Pope Francis’ big change to the Lord's Prayer  (Read 484 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://nypost.com/2019/06/05/heres-pope-francis-big-change-to-the-our-father/

Pope Francis officially approved a change to the most famous prayer in Christianity.

The Catholic leader changed the phrase “lead us not into temptation” to “do not let us fall into temptation,” as mentioned in the gospel of Matthew 6:13, because the original translation implies that God induces temptation. The change, officials said, is closer to the original intent of the prayer.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Here’s Pope Francis’ big change to the Lord's Prayer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:26:43 pm »
https://nypost.com/2019/06/05/heres-pope-francis-big-change-to-the-our-father/

Pope Francis officially approved a change to the most famous prayer in Christianity.

The Catholic leader changed the phrase “lead us not into temptation” to “do not let us fall into temptation,” as mentioned in the gospel of Matthew 6:13, because the original translation implies that God induces temptation. The change, officials said, is closer to the original intent of the prayer.

(excerpt)

Glad I am not Catholic.  Can you imagine trying to unlearn the most used prayer on earth.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »
 Revelation 22:18-19 says, "For I testify unto everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, and from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:41:40 pm »
When I saw the headline I was appropriately outraged.  ...until I read the story.  The change he is making is a good one, IMHO.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 03:42:12 pm »
Revelation 22:18-19 says, "For I testify unto everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, and from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

So, we should be reading it in Aramaic, ancient Hebrew and ancient Greek?

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 03:43:47 pm »

Yep, I bet King James is rotting in hell.  :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 04:17:27 pm »

Not to mention that the end (i.e. "For thine is the kingdom .  .  .") was added later and is not part of the original prayer.  Besides, the quote from Revelations adresses Biblical prophesy only.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 04:21:20 pm »
Not to mention that the end (i.e. "For thine is the kingdom .  .  .") was added later and is not part of the original prayer.  Besides, the quote from Revelations adresses Biblical prophesy only.
... and specifically the book of Revelation itself. Basically, a copyright threat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 04:25:13 pm »
because the original translation implies that God induces temptation.
Yet if that's what the text says, and the vast majority of translation efforts either use "lead" or "bring," then changing it to fit the Church's ungrounded thoughts on what God is is, well, a sin.

The only thing that that phrase says is that, as followers of God, we hope not to be led into situations that may tempt us. There will be times where we are led into situations where we are surrounded by temptation, sometimes out of necessity. Jesus Himself was led into temptation, and came out without caving.