Author Topic: Democrats plan Capitol Hill event to put Trump's mental health under fire  (Read 1823 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats plan Capitol Hill event to put Trump's mental health under fire
by Kimberly Leonard
 | June 05, 2019 12:00 AM

Democrats are planning to host a Capitol Hill event featuring psychiatrists who will warn that President Trump is unfit for office based on his mental health.

The event will be led by Dr. Bandy Lee, a Yale School of Medicine psychiatrist and editor of The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, a book that argues psychiatrists have a responsibility to warn the public when a president is dangerous. The position is controversial because psychiatric associations urge members never to diagnose patients they haven't personally evaluated, saying it undermines the scientific rigor of the profession.

But Lee and others who agree with her stance say that their description of the president's behavior, of his showing mental instability and dangerousness, shouldn't be interpreted as issuing a diagnosis.

“The president's condition has been visibly deteriorating to the point where there's a lot of talk right now about his mental state beyond mental health professionals," Lee said. "It no longer takes a mental health professional to recognize the seriousness of the current presidency."

The date for the town hall hasn't been set but would be held "imminently soon within the next couple of weeks," Lee said. Budget Committee Chairman John Yarmuth, D-Ky., who has called for Trump's impeachment, confirmed the event was in the works, but said it would be more likely to occur in July because lawmakers have a full plate in June with spending bills.

"We're planning to put together an event," Yarmuth said. "She's calling it a town hall. We haven't actually determined the format, but it's going to be an event where she is going to present her findings, and media will be invited."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/democrats-plan-capitol-hill-event-to-put-trumps-mental-health-under-fire
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
More reasons for the public to realize these people are Quacks practicing quackery.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

Oh look, the party that endorses the concept of non-binary genders & think pubescent girls and boys showering together is a great idea is holding an event highlighting someone else's mental health 'problems'.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“The president's condition has been visibly deteriorating to the point where there's a lot of talk right now about his mental state beyond mental health professionals," Lee said. "It no longer takes a mental health professional to recognize the seriousness of the current presidency."

The average person can easily recognize he’s a narcissistic a-hole, but he has been, for decades. The only difference is that he’s gotten more attention, as a public figure.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Bandy Lee is crazy.  And, she has been a rabid anti-Trumper from way back.  She is also not licensed, if I remember correctly. Here are some of the stories linked on TBR:

1 Editorial/Opinion / Psych Prof Who Called Trump ‘Mentally Impaired’ May Not Have A License To Practice
« by rangerrebew on January 11, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »

......  in her home state of Connecticut.  The professor, Bandy Lee, made the headlines over the past few days when  ......

2 Editorial/Opinion / Re: Trump's 'pattern of cognitive decline' alarms psychiatrists
« by To-Whose-Benefit? on April 10, 2019, 10:20:59 PM »

...... : jmyrlefuller on April 06, 2019, 04:50:23 PM  Bandy Lee has been peddling these claims for years. No one  ......

3 Politics / Democrats plan Capitol Hill event to put Trump's mental health under fire
« by mystery-ak on Today at 08:18:11 AM »

......  his mental health.  The event will be led by Dr. Bandy Lee, a Yale School of Medicine psychiatrist and  ......

4 Politics / Re: Psychiatrist: Trump admin officials contacted me because president was ‘scaring’ them
« by XenaLee on September 06, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »

......  because President Trump was "scaring" them.   Dr. Bandy Lee told Salon and The New York Daily News on  ......

5 Politics / Re: Democrats to hold new meeting with psychiatrist who calls Trump a ‘danger’ to public
« by To-Whose-Benefit? on January 08, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »

...... , in a “salon-like” setting to hear from Dr. Bandy Lee, a Yale University professor and forensic  ......

6 Politics / Psych Prof Who Called Trump ‘Mentally Impaired’ May Not Have A License To Practice
« by mystery-ak on January 11, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »

......  in her home state of Connecticut.  The professor, Bandy Lee, made the headlines over the past few days when  ......

7 Politics / Re: Lawmakers briefed by Yale psychiatrist on Trump's mental health: report
« by Sanguine on January 04, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »

...... , but she is far afield:  Quote  Biography  Dr. Bandy Lee is an internationally recognized expert on  ......

8 Editorial/Opinion / Re: WHO’S CRAZY? TRUMP OR THE ANTI-TRUMP SHRINKS?
« by jmyrlefuller on January 09, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »

9 National News/Current Events / Re: Yale Professor Says Trump Could Cause ‘Extinction of the Human Species’

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Bandy Lee is crazy.  And, she has been a rabid anti-Trumper from way back.  She is also not licensed, if I remember correctly. Here are some of the stories linked on TBR:

1 Editorial/Opinion / Psych Prof Who Called Trump ‘Mentally Impaired’ May Not Have A License To Practice

2 Editorial/Opinion / Re: Trump's 'pattern of cognitive decline' alarms psychiatrists

...... : jmyrlefuller on April 06, 2019, 04:50:23 PM  Bandy Lee has been peddling these claims for years. No one  ......

3 Politics / Democrats plan Capitol Hill event to put Trump's mental health under fire

......  his mental health.  The event will be led by Dr. Bandy Lee, a Yale School of Medicine psychiatrist and  ......

4 Politics / Re: Psychiatrist: Trump admin officials contacted me because president was ‘scaring’ them

......  because President Trump was "scaring" them.   Dr. Bandy Lee told Salon and The New York Daily News on  ......

5 Politics / Re: Democrats to hold new meeting with psychiatrist who calls Trump a ‘danger’ to public

...... , in a “salon-like” setting to hear from Dr. Bandy Lee, a Yale University professor and forensic  ......

6 Politics / Psych Prof Who Called Trump ‘Mentally Impaired’ May Not Have A License To Practice

7 Politics / Re: Lawmakers briefed by Yale psychiatrist on Trump's mental health: report

...... , but she is far afield:  Quote  Biography  Dr. Bandy Lee is an internationally recognized expert on  ......

9 National News/Current Events / Re: Yale Professor Says Trump Could Cause ‘Extinction of the Human Species’

@Sanguine

Thanks for the post.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline libertybele

The average person can easily recognize he’s a narcissistic a-hole, but he has been, for decades. The only difference is that he’s gotten more attention, as a public figure.

Lots of world leaders have been narcissistic.  The fact that the DEMS want to 'test' his mental abilities, indicates to me that they know they have no grounds for impeachment and this is yet another lame attempt to bring him down.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online rustynail

Catch 22.

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty

Some facts about Bandy Lee and the rule about making a diagnosis:

Someone said she did not have a license to practice.  I don't know if she does or not - if she is teaching only, not seeing patients, she does not need a license.  When she was seeing patients, she had to have a license.

I have the book she edited, "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump".  It is written by 27 Psychiatrists and mental health Experts.  I will explain why they wrote the book.

The Goldwater "rule" was adopted only by Psychiatrists, no other mental health organisation at the beginning of that rule.  Other mental health workers now go by that rule, too, however, there is an exception to the rule and people not in mental health do not know it or refuse to believe it so they can keep going against mental health workers.  Some people here will do the same thing - trash mental health workers, including me.  I will keep writing the truth of the rule and what it means, plus comment on other articles/comments in the mental health field.

The rule to not make a diagnosis unless the mental health worker sees the patient/client, is the rule mental health workers use, EXCEPT when there is a danger to him/herself, and/or the public.  In that case, it is required we contact law enforcement and make the danger known to the public.

Why the people wrote the book:
Because Trump's behavior is public day after day, it is possible to make a diagnosis and the ones in their book, are the same ones I have spoken about since he became a candidate.

The article says: “The president's condition has been visibly deteriorating to the point where there's a lot of talk right now about his mental state beyond mental health professionals," Lee said. "It no longer takes a mental health professional to recognize the seriousness of the current presidency."

She is right and it is right to bring this to the public.  It is Trump's behavior that shows him to be abnormal - they are reporting his behavior as that behavior shows him to have certain mental health disorders that lead them to the conclusion he is too impaired to be president.

Now, some uninformed people here will dump on this post, writing comments against mental health workers, as they usually do.  I have written the truth so will not respond to those who write hateful words against mental health workers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 03:02:10 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
And yet Trump has been president and running the country quite competently for two and half years despite the attempted coup. Yes, he's a narcissist but an effective POTUS.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Partisans have been using the art of psychological pathology to stamp "Insane" on the foreheads of dissidents for years as a means of silencing and exiling them.  The Soviet Union was proud of its insane asylums in Siberia.  There were no opponents to Stalinism, just a bunch of crazy people.

This is why leftists brand all opposition to their actions as having some kind of phobia.  It's easy to dismiss opponents as nuts, and then take action to isolate and eliminate them.  Practitioners of this policy must be stopped, for they wield "public safety" as a weapon to soothe their consciences.

To say the "Goldwater Rule" only applies to one branch of the Psychological arts (leaving all the others free to smear people) is a specious dodge.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 03:17:24 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Partisans have been using the art of psychological pathology to stamp "Insane" on the foreheads of dissidents for years as a means of silencing and exiling them.  The Soviet Union was proud of its insane asylums in Siberia.  There were no opponents to Stalinism, just a bunch of crazy people.

This is why leftists brand all opposition to their actions as having some kind of phobia.  It's easy to dismiss opponents as nuts, and then take action to isolate and eliminate them.  Practitioners of this policy must be stopped, for they wield "public safety" as a weapon to soothe their consciences.

To say the "Goldwater Rule" only applies to one branch of the Psychological arts (leaving all the others free to smear people) is a specious dodge.

Exactly right. Thanks for putting this in its proper perspective.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Victoria33

@Cyber Liberty

You said: "To say the "Goldwater Rule" only applies to one branch of the Psychological arts (leaving all the others free to smear people) is a specious dodge."

I was giving the history of the Goldwater Rule. In the beginning, it was only Psychiatrists who adopted the rule. Years later, other mental health workers adopted it in their organization rules.  It is not a law - only a rule.  And, there has always been the exception to alert the public and law enforcement  if there is a danger.

Case in point:
I psychologically evaluated a patient who I thought was still in the mental hospital.  He was not, had just been released but the psychiatrist wanted a mental evaluation, which I did.  When I finished the evaluation, I knew the patient was going to kill someone soon, likely his mother.  I told the psychiatrist that as soon as the patient left my office.  That is when I was told the patient was no longer in the mental hospital.  I told the psychiatrist, law enforcement should be told this as well as his mother should be told.

The next day the patient was holed up in his house with weapons, threatening the life of his mother.  Law enforcement surrounded the house.  The psychiatrist was able to help the officers by telling them the psychological tests indicated he was dangerous with killing on his mind, and what he might do.  The mother was able to get out of the house while the son was looking out windows to see law enforcement.  Eventually, law enforcement was able to get him out of the house without shots being fired.

"what he might do":  The Rorschach test (ink blot), is useless if a patient is normal, except it does tell you the person is likely normal.  It is a boring test for normal people.

It is extremely helpful if the patient has a mental disorder.  In such a case, when the patient sees an inkblot  card, sometimes even the first one, patient goes into his/her own world - he/she is not with you anymore - he/she has retreated in his/her mind and see something they deem to be real in the card.  Sometimes it doesn't happen until the first card with red ink is presented.   In almost every patient who has a mental disorder, he/she will see the red ink as real blood.  He/she may jump back from the card as it is real blood to him/her. 

In the case of the patient I described, he saw real killing in every card with red ink.  In his mind, he was really killing people in those cards and said so, that he had to kill them.

Another test, Thematic Apperception Test, or TAT, is a series of pictures (If you put the name of the test in "Search", you will see some of the pictures).  The patient is asked to make up a story with the people/objects on each card.  A person with a mental disorder will invariably have intense stories that reflect what he/she is concerned about.  The patient I described, killed every person in every picture - in his mind, he had to do it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Dr. Bandy Lee was determined to be a kook months ago when first posted here.

Usual Suspects running out of new material.

Recycling same olde tired BS.

Wednesday Online Psych Eval Day.

What do you see in the inkblot?

Crazy Trump, Trump is a dictator fascist, nazi. Ad infinitum.

TDS is the crazy thing. An obsession. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

Dr. Bandy Lee was determined to be a kook months ago when first posted here.

Usual Suspects running out of new material.

Recycling same olde tired BS.

Wednesday Online Psych Eval Day.

What do you see in the inkblot?

Crazy Trump, Trump is a dictator fascist, nazi. Ad infinitum.

TDS is the crazy thing. An obsession.

I wish they'd just stick with 'I hate Trump' instead of boring the life out of everyone with these incessant (and patently insincere) rationalizations justifying their wish that he'd be removed from office.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Victoria33

You are describing the proper use of an in-person evaluation of a person's risk to himself and others.  This is proper.

The article is about someone with a political ax to grind using a remote analysis of a person's mental health to push an agenda of undoing a legal election. I respect your use of the tool, but I don't respect Bandy's misuse.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You are describing the proper use of an in-person evaluation of a person's risk to himself and others.  This is proper.

The article is about someone with a political ax to grind using a remote analysis of a person's mental health to push an agenda of undoing a legal election. I respect your use of the tool, but I don't respect Bandy's misuse.

A huge part of the problem is that a proper psychological evaluation will consider the appropriateness of the patient's response to various statements, his view of what actions are proper or justified, etc..  But when you are talking about politics and policy, there is no universally acknowledged standard for what is right, good, or even acceptable.    And in many instances, our factual understandings are so different as to amount to different realities.  What a conservative may believe is a good idea is something progressive may believe is actually delusional.

Bottom line -- this is just another attempt by self-appointed elites to try to overturn an election.  So screw them.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

I very much appreciate you taking the time to research and post this!

888high58888

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
A huge part of the problem is that a proper psychological evaluation will consider the appropriateness of the patient's response to various statements, his view of what actions are proper or justified, etc..  But when you are talking about politics and policy, there is no universally acknowledged standard for what is right, good, or even acceptable.    And in many instances, our factual understandings are so different as to amount to different realities.  What a conservative may believe is a good idea is something progressive may believe is actually delusional.

Bottom line -- this is just another attempt by self-appointed elites to try to overturn an election.  So screw them.

Bingo!!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Dems need to take a long hard look in the mirror and think about their own mental health first.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Rush "opining," mocking dems ver this, bandylee psychobable crapola.

If some on THIS SITE had self-awareness, they would realize they are yet again on the side of whacko democrats; so owerful is their #nevertrump derangement syndrome- obsession.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Dems need to take a long hard look in the mirror and think about their own mental health first.

Remember I'm OK, You're OK from the 60's and 70's?  It's been changed to "I'm OK, You're Bleeped."
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Remember I'm OK, You're OK from the 60's and 70's?  It's been changed to "I'm OK, You're Bleeped."

Both side seem to be using the updated version.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!