Author Topic: Republicans threaten revolt, may block Trump's Mexico tariffs  (Read 1617 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Republicans are warning that President Donald Trump could face a shocking rebellion against him on the Senate floor if the president slaps Mexico with wide-ranging tariffs.

At a closed-door lunch Tuesday, two Trump administration officials laid out the president’s view: There is a crisis at the border and Mexico needs to stem the surge of migrants to avoid the new levies.

But White House deputy counsel Pat Philbin and Assistant Attorney General Steve Engel faced brutal push-back from the GOP, according to multiple senators, with some threatening that Trump could actually face a veto-proof majority to overturn the tariffs.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told reporters the party spent “almost our entire lunch” going back and forth with the administration and warned afterward “there is not much support in my conference for tariffs, that's for sure.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/04/trump-mexico-tariffs-senate-1353180
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Republicans threaten revolt, may block Trump's Mexico tariffs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:56:37 pm »
Great.  It's one move that may actually be effective, and the GOPers want to block it.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:12:07 am »
Tom  Donohue's boys to the rescue.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 12:37:42 am »
Great.  It's one move that may actually be effective, and the GOPers want to block it.

More than half the GOP could easily change jerseys and join the other side but for the fact the only seat available to each of them when they ran happened to be in a republican district.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 01:12:48 am »
Seven joined the dems, voting for amnexty today.

no spines
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:18:44 am »
Tom  Donohue's boys to the rescue.

Yup, that Chamber of Commerce money talks!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 01:20:30 am »
Even if they get 67 in the Senate, they would still need 290 in the House. That seems unlikely.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:52:03 am »
Even if they get 67 in the Senate, they would still need 290 in the House. That seems unlikely.

????  Why is it unlikely in the House??  The House will vote against Trump every time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 02:54:40 am »
More than half the GOP could easily change jerseys and join the other side but for the fact the only seat available to each of them when they ran happened to be in a republican district.

Exactly right.  9999hair out0000

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 03:09:14 am »

Well...it's being reported that Trump's threat of tariffs may be having an impact.

Mexico cracks down on migrants following Trump tariff threats

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-cracks-down-migrants-following-125855774.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 04:11:28 am »
????  Why is it unlikely in the House??  The House will vote against Trump every time.

It’s not a simple majority vote. Do the math for a veto override. It’d require over 50 defections.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 04:22:48 am »
Good to see Rebublicans oppose Democrat trade policies.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:09 am »
I was going to post;  I assume the same RINO'S  as before?  THE DIRTY DOZEN.  What is wrong with these people?  Mitt Romney ..same ahole as always.  We got rid of "NO NAME', & here is his replacement.
-------------------------------------------
“When it comes to applying a tariff to Mexico, I for one would not support that. I do not favor tariffs being applied to friends like Mexico,” said Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah). “If there’s a vote I think it’s a very difficult vote for those of us who oppose tariffs. I would not be inclined to vote [for] a tariff against a friend.”= MORE OF THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:55:09 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 04:58:30 am »
Probably most of these RINO'S AGAIN.  They don't care about Americans.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The 12 Senate Republicans who voted AGAINST PRESIDENT TRUMP for NATIONAL EMERGENCY ON BORDER;

Roger Wicker of Mississippi,

Marco Rubio of Florida,= FOR ALL ILLEGALS. "GANG OF EIGHT"

Rob Portman of Ohio,
 Susan Collins of Maine,
 Lisa Murkowski of Alaska,
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania,
 Roy Blunt of Missouri,
 Lamar Alexander of Tennessee,

Mitt Romney of Utah,

Rand Paul of Kentucky,
Jerry Moran of Kansas

and Mike Lee of Utah.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 05:00:07 am »
Good to see Rebublicans oppose Democrat trade policies.

Those are NOT...REPUBLICANS...RINO's=DEMON-RATS.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 05:09:02 am »
I was going to post;  I assume the same RINO'S  as before?  THE DIRTY DOZEN.  What is wrong with these people?  Mitt Romney ..same ahole as always.  We got rid of "NO NAME', & here is his replacement.
-------------------------------------------
“When it comes to applying a tariff to Mexico, I for one would not support that. I do not favor tariffs being applied to friends like Mexico,” said Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah). “If there’s a vote I think it’s a very difficult vote for those of us who oppose tariffs. I would not be inclined to vote [for] a tariff against a friend.”= MORE OF THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Mexico is no friend.  Its a serial abuser.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 06:07:42 am »
Cheap Labor Ãœber Alles!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:58:13 am »
I hope Fox News covers this so Trump knows about it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:46:16 am »
I hope Fox News covers this so Trump knows about it.

I hope your keyboard freezes. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 12:23:56 pm »
Good
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 12:31:52 pm »
I hope your keyboard freezes.

I have the same wish for Trump's keyboard and phone.

OTOH, it would be nice if certain posters here would disable their Caps Lock key.

:rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
A Republican Revolt May Be Brewing On Mexico Tariffs

Republican senators are worried about the president's tariffs on Mexico.

by David Thornton

President Trump’s announcement of the implementation of graduated tariffs on Mexico came as a surprise to pretty much everyone last week. The announcement upended the successful completion of the US-Mexico-Canada agreement, which was nearing ratification and may be sparking a Republican revolt against the president.

On Twitter yesterday, the Cato Institute’s resident trade lawyer, Scott Lincicome pointed out that five days after the president’s announcement of the new tariffs and less than a week before the new taxes are slated to take effect, there has been no documentation from the White House about the new policies.

Scott Lincicome
 âœ”  @scottlincicome 

Anyone else find it odd that it's been 5 days since the Mexico tariff announcement and we still don't have a single piece of official White House documentation on the decision?

2:01 PM - Jun 4, 2019

“And no tweets do not count jeez,” Lincicome added. (I’ll plug Lincicome as a very entertaining and informative account to follow if you are interested in trade issues.)

<..snip..>

https://theresurgent.com/2019/06/05/a-republican-revolt-may-be-brewing-on-mexico-tariffs/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 03:22:45 pm »

Those are NOT...REPUBLICANS...RINO's=DEMON-RATS.

So help me out here. Why are tariffs okay when a Republican president does them, but not okay when a Democrat President does them? Republican legislators voted against both. They were being consistent.  Why can't you?

Mexico is not responsible for protecting our border, especially when we are attracting illegals with tens of billions of dollars of free stuff.  Maybe Trump should concentrate on cutting off the 'free stuff' magnet and stop releasing captured illegals back into US society (all of which Trump has the power to do) instead of raising taxes on American consumers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mod2

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 03:31:28 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:25 pm »
So help me out here. Why are tariffs okay when a Republican president does them, but not okay when a Democrat President does them? Republican legislators voted against both. They were being consistent.  Why can't you?

Mexico is not responsible for protecting our border, especially when we are attracting illegals with tens of billions of dollars of free stuff.  Maybe Trump should concentrate on cutting off the 'free stuff' magnet and stop releasing captured illegals back into US society (all of which Trump has the power to do) instead of raising taxes on American consumers.

You're delving into the six dimensional chess tactics employed by Trump. No matter the move, his base applauds it. Winning! MAGA!