Author Topic: Venezuela crisis: What happened to uprising against Maduro?  (Read 532 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Venezuela crisis: What happened to uprising against Maduro?
By Barbara Plett Usher BBC state department correspondent, Caracas
    31 May 2019

I have it on good authority that the plot to unseat Venezuela's President Nicolás Maduro started with members of his inner circle, not with the opposition.

The big question is why they backed out, although this Washington Post article weaves quite a convincing tale of the intrigue.

What is clear is that it was a sophisticated scheme, the like of which we most probably will not see again soon.

Discontent at the top did expose fractures in the Maduro government, suggesting the president has been weakened by internal tensions. But one month on, neither he nor the opposition headed by National Assembly Speaker Juan Guaidó seems capable of vanquishing the other in a bold definitive move.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48476300

Offline Absalom

Re: Venezuela crisis: What happened to uprising against Maduro?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 07:32:51 pm »
Er......................what is Groucho Guaido up to??????

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 08:28:04 pm »
No Pinochet in Venezuela.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 09:14:43 pm »
No Pinochet in Venezuela.

I recently met a fellow that served 8 years in the US Army Special Forces, including Columbia and Panama. I intend asking him what he thinks about Venezuela.

I believe once our forces CIA etc were fairly effective in Iran and Venezuela. Prosperous, oil rich, westward leaning regimes.

And then we became not effective.

People came along in the CIA, that missed USSR breakup, missed Saddam, missed Sept. 11, 2001.

The resulting "intelligence"  operators are Brennan, Clapper, Comey that would frame an opposition party US President.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »
I recently met a fellow that served 8 years in the US Army Special Forces, including Columbia and Panama. I intend asking him what he thinks about Venezuela.
I believe once our forces CIA etc were fairly effective in Iran and Venezuela. Prosperous, oil rich, westward leaning regimes.
And then we became not effective.
People came along in the CIA, that missed USSR breakup, missed Saddam, missed Sept. 11, 2001.
The resulting "intelligence"  operators are Brennan, Clapper, Comey that would frame an opposition party US President.
-----------------------------
A reflection.
As you're well aware, the effectiveness of any organization is a function of
its attitudes, behaviors, impulses and sentiments; w/leadership at the top.
Assess the leadership quotient of our last 5 POTUS' and our performance
is plain for any and all to see.
The only matter left is for history to write the chapters.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:51:42 pm »
This is the 2nd time I've remarked on things, how dire is it that the soccer/football games continue? Baseball too. It makes me wonder. They are just finishing up a match right now.

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/06/03/venezuela/primera-division/caracas-futbol-club/zulia-futbol-club/3022899/?ICID=HP_MS_64_01

Vs. other games, they don't list attendance for these matches but still...