Author Topic: June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Applewood

Seems you are still confused on how it works.  What legislative bills can Trump approve other than what is passed by Congress?

:thud:

For the umpteenth time:    Yes, I know he can't originate and pass legislation.  That job belongs to congress.  But as I've said a million times already -- he could have worked with congress to get them moving. 

I n suggest you read corbe's post about NCLB.  President Bush showed with that legislation how a real president -- a leader -- can get things done.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

For the umpteenth time:    Yes, I know he can't originate and pass legislation.  That job belongs to congress.  But as I've said a million times already -- he could have worked with congress to get them moving. 

I n suggest you read corbe's post about NCLB.  President Bush showed with that legislation how a real president -- a leader -- can get things done.
The NCLB was a horrible government intrusion so bad that it is now essentially defunct as those measures are managed for the most part by the states, the rightful place for direction on Education, not federal.

Not a good example to bring up on 'how to get things done'.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Art of the Deal, Baby!

Mexico dispatches team to DC negotiate tariff solution, as Trump demands illegal immigration remedy
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mexico-dispatches-team-to-dc-negotiate-tariff-solution-as-trump-demands-illegal-immigration-remedy

Your kidding right?  I think it has already been established that people should not waste their money on the book.  There is no "art of the deal"  Its the art of scam and any corrupt politician or person looking to scam people know how to do it.  And its likely any deal with Obrador is going to be a dud for the US.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
The NCLB was a horrible government intrusion so bad that it is now essentially defunct as those measures are managed for the most part by the states, the rightful place for direction on Education, not federal.

Exactly, a big government stooge working with other big government stooges from both sides of the aisle to expand the leviathan.  It is an asinine example.

Online corbe

Picked up 2 bottles of Cuervo today at the Liquor store, so I'm ready for whatever.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

Picked up 2 bottles of Cuervo today at the Liquor store, so I'm ready for whatever.

Ah, @corbe ...Margaritaville!!! ....Wastin' away again in Margaritaville, Searchin' for my long lost shaker of salt.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlf4LvMJus
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

Yes it was bad legislation IMO and I said to corbe in my response that I didnt like it.  But you're missing the point of my response.  The article corbe posted shows how a real leader with the cooperation of congress gets things done. 

Maybe you should read corbe's post and my replies in greater detail.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

GWB campaigned on Education Reform extensively (becoming NCLB) in 2000. 
   He got in done in a year, in spite of 9/11.   /JS

http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/articles/258/george-bush-and-no-child-left-behind-a-federalist-perspective

and taxcuts, and war authorization, and a prescription drug law.

Yes it was bad legislation IMO and I said to corbe in my response that I didnt like it.  But you're missing the point of my response.  The article corbe posted shows how a real leader with the cooperation of congress gets things done. 

Maybe you should read corbe's post and my replies in greater detail.
And using a bad law enacted by a Republican President with both houses of Congress also Republican does not make a good example make.  It is rare that laws passed by Congress are subsequently debunked and thrown in the garbage like this one.

FYI, the current President has one side of Congress with a decidedly different state of mind toward anything and everything he comes up with, so something akin to this is not remotely possible to accomplish.  Unless, of course, it also is bad for America.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:45:13 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

And using a bad law enacted by a Republican President with both houses of Congress also Republican does not make a good example make.  It is rare that laws passed by Congress are subsequently debunked and thrown in the garbage like this one.

You are deliberately missing the point -- too focused on whether the law was a good one.  Missing the forest for the trees. 

I give up.  No sense trying to explain this anymore. 

Online corbe

Thank you @Applewood for understanding the 'O'riginal point I was trying to make. I stated earlier that at the last minute the Ted Kennedy 'Union Compromise' risked torpedoing the whole $hit and shebang, GWB plodded on to get what he could (The Teachers Union already had control). The Legislation set much needed Nationwide standards and testing, including the Teachers. 
   My major point, lost on a few, is when GWB took office he had a slim majority in the House and Senate (VP Cheney tiebreaker) until Jeffords jumped in June.  I bring this up because (though a different era in politics), Bush got a lot more done (pre 9/11) than Trump has facing virtually the same Congressional odds.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

You are deliberately missing the point -- too focused on whether the law was a good one.  Missing the forest for the trees. 

I give up.  No sense trying to explain this anymore.
And you missed the entire point that Bush got a law enacted by a Congress controlled by his own party, not in part controlled by radical leftists as is the case now.

You are Dan Rather-ing it by saying "The facts are true even though the story isn't"

Offline jpsb

So excuse me for wanting to pay for a cheaper widget. More money for me.
Widgets are cheap in Nigeria move there.

Offline kevindavis007

Widgets are cheap in Nigeria move there.

So where is it written that I have to buy American only?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

So where is it written that I have to buy American only?

We have seen your posts.  I don't think you have ever bought America...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

@kevindavis

Yeah, don't you realize that if you don't "buy American," you are a traitor?  (/sarc)  I remember my late uncle, a rabid union guy, saying that.  He nearly had a coronary when his daughter and son-in-law bought their first Toyota.  Never mind that the Toyota was likely made in the US and that his "American" car may have been made overseas.

I have  bought a few items that were made in the USA.  They were no better and sometimes worse than the ones made overseas.  But for the most part, the American-made product was more expensive.

Buying American is not going to save jobs, nor will it bring jobs lost to foreign countries back to the US.  It is just too dang expensive to make things here.  Penalizing the American consumer through tarriffs won't bring back jobs either.

Offline Applewood

Trump's proposed tariffs on Mexico would be biggest tax hike in almost 30 years: report

President Trump's proposed tariffs on Mexican imports – an effort to pressure the country to halt the flow of migrants from Central America – could constitute the biggest tax hike on American consumers in nearly three decades, according to an analysis by the Tax Foundation.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/trade/446540-trumps-proposed-tariffs-on-mexico-would-be-biggest-tax-hike-in

And the analysis from the Tax Foundation is here:

https://taxfoundation.org/trade-china-tariffs-economic-impact/

Offline kevindavis007

We have seen your posts.  I don't think you have ever bought America...

How I spend MY MONEY IS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!!!

Offline kevindavis007

@kevindavis

Yeah, don't you realize that if you don't "buy American," you are a traitor?  (/sarc)  I remember my late uncle, a rabid union guy, saying that.  He nearly had a coronary when his daughter and son-in-law bought their first Toyota.  Never mind that the Toyota was likely made in the US and that his "American" car may have been made overseas.

I have  bought a few items that were made in the USA.  They were no better and sometimes worse than the ones made overseas.  But for the most part, the American-made product was more expensive.

Buying American is not going to save jobs, nor will it bring jobs lost to foreign countries back to the US.  It is just too dang expensive to make things here.  Penalizing the American consumer through tarriffs won't bring back jobs either.

@Applewood

That is right. I have to buy American so the person who made the overpriced product can still have a job and most likely vote for Dem regardless if the person is employed or not.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

How I spend MY MONEY IS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!!!

Kevin. I really love the caps!  Give me more.

Offline Night Hides Not

Kevin. I really love the caps!  Give me more.

I think we ought to adopt a rule, akin to Godwin's Law...you lose the argument when you gratuitously and excessively use CAPS in your post.

Volume is no substitute for cognitive thought.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online corbe

Chances are if you buy American and it breaks you still have to talk to someone in India about the crappy decision you made.

Offline Wingnut

I think we ought to adopt a rule, akin to Godwin's Law...you lose the argument when you gratuitously and excessively use CAPS in your post.

Volume is no substitute for cognitive thought.

I love it.  But I must say kevindavis is not a constant violator... but we could turn our eye on the "unamerican" person who posts up that cap shit, all the time.

Offline Night Hides Not

I love it.  But I must say kevindavis is not a constant violator... but we could turn our eye on the "unamerican" person who posts up that cap shit, all the time.

Actually, I agreed with kevin's comment. I thought being a conservative meant that we respect an individual's right to spend their money on whatever they damn please...as long as it's legal, of course.

"Buying American" is such a meaningless term in today's economy. I lived in El Paso for 20 years, home of the maquiladoras, and several Southern states now build Mercedes and Beemers with American labor.

It ranks right up there with, "we're gonna build a big, beautiful wall and Mexico's going to pay for it." Good for a hearty cheer at a Trump rally, but not much else.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.