Author Topic: June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Applewood

Exactly.  Some people need to be reminded how we get laws passed in this country.

If you mean me -- I know how the legislative system works.  But it seems Trump and the rest of his party don't.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

https://www.propublica.org/article/president-donald-trump-losses-fred-barbash-washington-post-q-and-a

Federal judges have ruled against the Trump administration at least 63 times over the past two years, an extraordinary record of legal defeat that has stymied large parts of the president’s agenda on the environment, immigration and other matters.

so much winning.
Did the Post drill down to determine how many of these rulings were either overturned or ruled by Obama-appointed judges?

I read an article like this and see nothing but the partisanship being openly displayed by so-called impartial judges.

And as to the author of the article - the guy writes mostly radical hit-pieces seeking to undercut an agenda he does not like.

Read up on them.

https://www.propublica.org/people/joe-sexton
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

GWB campaigned on Education Reform extensively (becoming NCLB) in 2000. 
   He got in done in a year, in spite of 9/11.   /JS

Getting Education Policy Passed

Bush’s decision making style, while detrimental in later policy processes, complemented his first legislative victory. “On many important issues, such as the No Child Left Behind bill, the decision process worked well”. 8 Congress and the public rallied with George Bush because he sold this policy in a very effective manner. President Bush’s personality was superb for campaigning. He was enthusiastic, assertive, and extremely personable, all characteristics that were valuable in getting a strong coalition together to support this issue. He used his tactics in governing by campaigning to push this top priority through Congress. It fit his personality well, as he had to delegate work and broadly talk about the legislation aggressively and moved this legislation forward. “Even when he has taken stands, Bush typically has not taken a personal role in negotiating details of legislation until late in the consideration of a bill”. On his priority issues, he has tended to focus on a few essentials, cede ground when necessary to reach his ultimate objective, and rely on Republican leaders to keep the troops in line”. 9 This is a prominent example of how Bush operated within his administration, acting as the chief delegator, but never becoming involved in policy detail. This process involving the No Child Left Behind Act matched President Bush’s style and it worked well in getting this priority through the Legislature.

The importance of President Bush’s commitment to education change was not just personal, but was used, in part, to help shape Bush’s legacy. The administration knew that they wanted a new expansive federal education policy to prove that the GOP was moving in a different direction. It would be the President’s first deterrence from Republican standards; it would become an action that would define his Presidency. Bush broke away from the GOP’s opposition to a lively federal role in education policy and politics. George Bush stayed the course and turned away from previous conservative positions such as the 1994 Contract with America and the 1996 Republican Party platform which had promised to abolish the United States Department of Education. The focus on passage of this Act would be to get this group on board.

The Republican ideology had traditionally been unreceptive to expansion of government into education, claiming that an expansive federal policy would become an intrusion into the lives of American citizens. Even House Majority Leader John Boehner in the lead up to the election that, “it is clear that the current experiment of having the federal government heavily involved in education has failed,” and voted to abolish the Dept. of Education. The new “compassionate conservative” President would use this accomplishment to show America that Republicans could deliver on an issue that Democrats had championed in the past. It was a strategic move, changing America’s outlook on Republicans while gaining respect politically for compromising with the opposition. It worked and bipartisanship on the bill came together.

With the help of a close group working within the White House, President Bush would see his ideas begin to develop. This focus on general principles, gut instinct, and loyalty were the aspects of the office that George Bush acted and reacted upon. He used his “Decider” power when his agenda was not going according to plan. “He found success not by compromise but by working with Democrats who shared his goal to fashion a policy whose time had come. Bush’s knowledge of education and his ebullient personality combined to make him an effective salesman for policies that elites had already by and large accepted”. 10 As previously mentioned, President Bush enjoyed the top-down approach, where he would be the puppeteer and watch from afar the progress that his close allies were achieving in Congress.

With the passage the Bush administration set out to close the inherent achievement gap in the American school system and push to create outstanding academic institutions for all students. The NCLB enactment became an imprint of the legacy of George W. Bush. That success was a combination of the right place at the right time in tandem with President Bush’s personality commitment to education and need for results. With this passage, he proved to America that he was the correct person to the job, and lived up to what he set out in his campaign. The House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384-45) and United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91-8). President Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002.

http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/articles/258/george-bush-and-no-child-left-behind-a-federalist-perspective
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kevindavis007

Let's say it costs $1,000 dollars to build a widget in Mexico. Building that same widget in the USA costs $2,000
dues to higher labor rates and environment related rules.  Now who in their right mind would ever buy the Made In
USA widget? So Mexico makes all the widgets, gets all the widget making jobs and Mexico get all the US money.
This is not at all good for the US economy but there is something the USA can do. The USA can put a tariff on
Mexican widgets so Mexican Widgets cost about as much as US widgets. Leveling the playing field so to speak. It
is what just about every other country does to our widgets so I am fine with using tariffs to gain a desired goal.

Those that only care about themselves and do not care about the country will say why should I pay $2,000 when
I could pay $1,000.  Back in the day the US knew tariffs were a good thing for the country and it's citizens. "If we
make IT here, we will have IT and we will have the money too".

If you are talking about what happened after WWII let me explain this to you. Up to the 1960s no other country had the ability to make widgets CAUSE THE REST OF THE WORLD WAS DEVASTATED by the war. None of our factories got hit.

So excuse me for wanting to pay for a cheaper widget. More money for me.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline dfwgator

If you are talking about what happened after WWII let me explain this to you. Up to the 1960s no other country had the ability to make widgets CAUSE THE REST OF THE WORLD WAS DEVASTATED by the war. None of our factories got hit.

And higher taxes for you to pay for all the programs for all the poor saps put out of work.

Offline dfwgator

Art of the Deal, Baby!

Mexico dispatches team to DC negotiate tariff solution, as Trump demands illegal immigration remedy
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mexico-dispatches-team-to-dc-negotiate-tariff-solution-as-trump-demands-illegal-immigration-remedy

Offline skeeter

But less money for the americans who would otherwise be making the widget, but can’t compete with heavily government-subsidized foreign equivalents.

Offline kevindavis007

And higher taxes for you to pay for all the programs for all the poor saps put out of work.

So I have to buy American just to keep the person his or her job going? What about automation? I suppose you want that stopped as well?

Offline kevindavis007

But less money for the americans who would otherwise be making the widget, but can’t compete with heavily government-subsidized foreign equivalents.

But more for me.

Online roamer_1

There are lots of widgets made in right to work states, and IIRC the USSC ruled that union members that do not
want to pay union dues don't have to pay. So your point is mute. Tariffs keep jobs in the USA that would other
wise go over seas.

If it does so at all, which I doubt, it does so artificially, and at an immense cost.

Technically, the way to bring those jobs backand keep the jobs that are here is by competition, not government, by cutting labor and regulatory overhead.and finding ways to produce more efficiently.

Government interference is never the right answer.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This thread is a disgusting, bio-hazard.  And one doesn't even require a black light to see it.

:laugh:

He should place an immediate surtax on monetary transfers originating from the US and its territories, too.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

In order not to pay Tariffs, if they start rising, companies will leave Mexico, which has taken 30% of our Auto Industry, and come back home to the USA. Mexico must take back their country from the drug lords and cartels. The Tariff is about stopping drugs as well as illegals!

7:27 AM - 31 May 2019

Is he certain about that? Just recently, he said the tariffs on China would make companies leave for places like Vietnam.

I don't think he's certain about anything.  He's just throwing stuff out because he's worried about the election.  Hoping that he can provide the winning rhetoric.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:32:15 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

The group who took up private donations and has started to build; that project has been halted by a cease and desist order. 

Yes, 50 miles is 50 miles that we didn't have before.  I get that.  The wall will never be completed because of the bill that Trump signed allowing states to opt out of a border --- that's what people don't realize and his supporters refuse to acknowledge.

More than obvious is that a wall can't work if cities can opt out.  Just look at Memorial Day.  Most came in at El Paso.  Isn't that Beta O'Rourke territory?  They are coming in by the High School.  By the high school.  Just what you want some human trafficking happening at the local high school.  I read one article that had street names like its down town El Paso.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/32467-el-paso-border-agents-catch-2-200-illegals-on-memorial-day-congolese-caught-at-eagle-pass
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

More than obvious is that a wall can't work if cities can opt out. 

Yeah, that's right. But it will get the traffic off the backs of the ranchers, anyway. That much is good - If it were to actually happen.

Offline Chosen Daughter

@libertybele
I couldn't agree more.  Sorry I should have included a sarcasm tag with that last post.  The point I failed to make was Trump is failing spectacularly on the border.  He has made the problem worse with threats and promises he can't fulfill.

Exactly.  They know it too.  And Trump should have known Obrador was not going to stop the invasion.  He announced to all of Mexico he thought it was a human right to immigrate to the United States.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This thread wins Fishrrman's "Seinfeld thread award" for the day.

I'm FOR tariffs on Mexico.
25% sounds about right to me.
Or even higher.

We want to cause PAIN in that country -- MUCH PAIN.
And keep up the pressure until they begin to think about halting the illegal invaders at their own border.

Of course, this probably isn't going to solve the border crisis, but it's a start.

There's only ONE THING that "solves" the illegal invasion:
A WALL.
And perhaps closing the border, which I advocate.
Closing it completely -- neither people nor goods coming across.

Goods can be transported via ships, which are easier to police.
People can be directed to ships or planes, again, easier to police.

I have no power to do anything (other than cast one vote on election day).
But if I did, that border would be CLOSED.
Maybe... permanently.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Yeah, that's right. But it will get the traffic off the backs of the ranchers, anyway. That much is good - If it were to actually happen.

I suppose it is, but its a real danger to others in El Paso.

Offline Applewood

@corbe

Thank you for the history lesson regarding the NCLB.  I didn't like that legislation, but the article you posted shows how a president can get things done in cooperation with congress.  I don't see anything in that piece that says that President Bush 43 waited around for congress to pass legislation.  He didn't insult and refuse to work with members of his own party.  I didn't hear of him pouting and storming out of meetings when he didn't get his way.  He even brought both parties together to work on this bill.  Of course, it seems he had it easier since both parties seemed to want the same thing.  But this was a proactive president who did his job, not spending time fooling around, waiting for others to take the lead and whining when he couldn't get what he wanted.  This is leadership. 

Offline LegalAmerican

Art of the Deal, Baby!

Mexico dispatches team to DC negotiate tariff solution, as Trump demands illegal immigration remedy
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mexico-dispatches-team-to-dc-negotiate-tariff-solution-as-trump-demands-illegal-immigration-remedy

............. :thumbsup:

Some "Americans " are just too dumb to live. How did this happen? 

Online corbe

@Applewood NCLB was a great piece of legislation until Ted Kennedy held it up at the last minute for Union Support.
   GWB didn't look at it as 'All or Nothing', he compromised just as Reagan did.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

This thread wins Fishrrman's "Seinfeld thread award" for the day.

I'm FOR tariffs on Mexico.
25% sounds about right to me.
Or even higher.

We want to cause PAIN in that country -- MUCH PAIN.
And keep up the pressure until they begin to think about halting the illegal invaders at their own border.

Of course, this probably isn't going to solve the border crisis, but it's a start.

There's only ONE THING that "solves" the illegal invasion:
A WALL.
And perhaps closing the border, which I advocate.
Closing it completely -- neither people nor goods coming across.

Goods can be transported via ships, which are easier to police.
People can be directed to ships or planes, again, easier to police.

I have no power to do anything (other than cast one vote on election day).
But if I did, that border would be CLOSED.
Maybe... permanently.

........ :thumbsup:

###Please, in the future keep your murderous thoughts to yourself###    Yes. I posted that. It is them or us. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 01:01:45 am by MOD8 »

Why not just move to the lower cost of living place if that is your primary motivation?

Widgets made in Bangladesh I hear are very cheap.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

But more for me.

And that is the key.  IT'S YOUR FLIPPING MONEY!  It's not "our" money, or "money for Americans", it belongs to YOU.  You should be allowed to spend it as you see fit, it's a free country or so they say.  Throwing up taxes to try to force you to buy products from certain locations is akin to throwing up taxes to force you to buy insurance you don't want.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online corbe

Keep your hands off my cheap widgets.

If you mean me -- I know how the legislative system works.  But it seems Trump and the rest of his party don't.
Seems you are still confused on how it works.  What legislative bills can Trump approve other than what is passed by Congress?