Author Topic: This 14-year-old Georgia girl will be youngest student to attend Spelman College  (Read 1362 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
A 14-year-old Georgia girl will be the youngest student to attend Spelman College after excelling academically from a young age......

.....Sydney Wilson was solving algebraic equations in the first grade and began taking high-school level classes at The Wilson Academy when she was ten....

https://wreg.com/2019/05/26/this-14-year-old-georgia-girl-will-be-youngest-student-to-attend-spelman-college/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good for her,although I worry that going to Spelman will mean she ends up voting Dim.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good for her,although I worry that going to Spelman will mean she ends up voting Dim.

Really?   As opposed to any other university? 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

All you care is how she votes versus how she achieves as a brilliant individual?

Offline Applewood

Well, I would guess 99% of colleges and universities are left-leaning.  Spelman may be particularly so since it is a liberal arts school, all (or mostly) black and female.  I'd like to hope though that as Miss Wilson grows up and gets out into the real world, whatever leftist political views she has will change.  Happened to me.  Once I grew up, I ditched the liberals and moved right.  Maybe this will happen to her.

Right now though I'm just happy for Miss Wilson and wish her all the best in her academic pursuits.  After reading so many stories daily about black poverty, unwanted pregnancies, crime, drug use and so forth, it's refreshing to read a positive story about a young black girl for a change.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Really?   As opposed to any other university?

@Sanguine

I dunno,brainiac. Supposed you compose a list of universities for me to choose from while you pretend that Spelman is anything more than an indoctrination center for the left?

After all,the Dims need to keep the Knee-Grows on the Dim Plantation,don't they?

I will admit she may just be smart enough to avoid indoctrination,though. Especially given her chosen career field.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All you care is how she votes versus how she achieves as a brilliant individual?

@ABX

DUHHHHHHHH!

Her political affiliation and her votes will have more of an affect on the world we live in than her career.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well, I would guess 99% of colleges and universities are left-leaning.

@Applewood

Maybe a little high,but not by much.

Spelman may be particularly so since it is a liberal arts school, all (or mostly) black and female.

A polite way of saying "Communist Indoctrination Center". The one thing the left has been really successful at doing is destroying the culture and the future of American blacks by turning them into professional victims. Take away a people's ability to fail,and you also take away their ability to succeed and take pride in their accomplishments.

I'd like to hope though that as Miss Wilson grows up and gets out into the real world, whatever leftist political views she has will change.

Me,too,but going to a leftist indoctrination  center like Spelman lessens the chances of that happening.

Happened to me.  Once I grew up, I ditched the liberals and moved right.  Maybe this will happen to her.

We can only hope.

Right now though I'm just happy for Miss Wilson and wish her all the best in her academic pursuits.

I agree,and have no doubt at all that she will be highly successful in academia.  Truth to tell,I suspect she would have a hard time NOT being successful given her natural intellectual gifts.

After reading so many stories daily about black poverty, unwanted pregnancies, crime, drug use and so forth, it's refreshing to read a positive story about a young black girl for a change.

I agree,but would like to add there is nothing special about a young black girl when it comes to this. Our public schools have became little more than leftist indoctrination centers where rigid thought is required instead of creative thought. MOST students aren't as gifted as she is,and most of them probably won't be getting degrees in the actual sciences,where facts remain facts and are not open to PC determination.  This is another advantage she will have over most students,but there is never going to be any doubt about her mental ability.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:59:52 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@Applewood

Maybe a little high,but not by much.

A polite way of saying "Communist Indoctrination Center". The one thing the left has been really successful at doing is destroying the culture and the future of American blacks by turning them into professional victims. Take away a people's ability to fail,and you also take away their ability to succeed and take pride in their accomplishments.

Me,too,but going to a leftist indoctrination  center like Spelman lessens the chances of that happening.

We can only hope.

I agree,and have no doubt at all that she will be highly successful in academia.  Truth to tell,I suspect she would have a hard time NOT being successful given her natural intellectual gifts.

I agree,but would like to add there is nothing special about a young black girl when it comes to this. Our public schools have became little more than leftist indoctrination centers where rigid thought is required instead of creative thought. MOST students aren't as gifted as she is,and most of them probably won't be getting degrees in the actual sciences,where facts remain facts and are not open to PC determination.  This is another advantage she will have over most students,but there is never going to be any doubt about her mental ability.

Well, duuuuuuuuh!  You just made my earlier point.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well, duuuuuuuuh!  You just made my earlier point.

@Sanguine

Well,duuuuuh! No,I didn't. Or at least not the point you seemed to be trying to make.

Offline Applewood

@sneakypete

I agree, but would like to add there is nothing special about a young black girl when it comes to this. Our public schools have became little more than leftist indoctrination centers where rigid thought is required instead of creative thought. MOST students aren't as gifted as she is, and most of them probably won't be getting degrees in the actual sciences, where facts remain facts and are not open to PC determination.  This is another advantage she will have over most students, but there is never going to be any doubt about her mental ability.

I was thinking whatever attitudes this young lady has now and will have may have already been formed or at least started to form, both at home and at the school she already attended.  I took a look at the school she is graduating from -- The Wilson Academy.  It was started by her father and from the looks of the school's website, the stress is on academics (particularly on STEM courses), not on social justice and all that other [expletive] public schools teach.

https://thewilsonacademy.org/academic-philosophy/

So I do have hope Miss Wilson will not be in our faces or in our ears crying the blues about discrimination, injustices and all that other stuff. She will be too busy making a real difference in this world with a real education.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I wouldn't call her "brilliant" at all. She's at a high-school graduate level. Great for a 14-year-old. Below average for an adult. Besides, academic success and actual intelligence and/or aptitude for success later in life are not correlated.

Plus, she had the benefit of attending a private academy not bound to the rigid system imposed by the public schools.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

So I do have hope Miss Wilson will not be in our faces or in our ears crying the blues about discrimination, injustices and all that other stuff. She will be too busy making a real difference in this world with a real education.

@Applewood

I really do think there is a good chance of that happening. She is just too smart and driven to ignore her gifts and go for the easy money. Let her get her fame from getting a Nobel in a science category,instead of screaming in front of a tv camera.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I wouldn't call her "brilliant" at all. She's at a high-school graduate level. Great for a 14-year-old. Below average for an adult.

I believe she is already operating at a college level,and given that just a couple of years ago she was an actual child,that is big.

Besides, academic success and actual intelligence and/or aptitude for success later in life are not correlated

I will argue that one when it comes to the hard sciences. It's not like she is great a finger painting or reciting the alphabet,and her being able to put in the hard work to get as far as she has gotten at such a young age indicates to me she is going to be successful in her career field.

Plus, she had the benefit of attending a private academy not bound to the rigid system imposed by the public schools.

Which would have been no help at all to her if she were of average or below-average intelligence and/or lazy.

Bill Cipher

I wouldn't call her "brilliant" at all. She's at a high-school graduate level. Great for a 14-year-old. Below average for an adult. Besides, academic success and actual intelligence and/or aptitude for success later in life are not correlated.

Almost all 14 year olds are not capable of such an accomplishment.  She is brilliant. 

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Almost all 14 year olds are not capable of such an accomplishment.  She is brilliant.
She peaked early. Just because she's a child prodigy does not ensure she will remain ahead of her peers in adulthood.

She could be Einstein. She could be Charlotte Church. No one knows.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
She peaked early. Just because she's a child prodigy does not ensure she will remain ahead of her peers in adulthood.

She could be Einstein. She could be Charlotte Church. No one knows.

@jmyrlefuller

I don't get it. The girl is obviously intellectually gifted as well as enthusiastic about learning,and yet so many people seem reluctant to give her her due. Makes no sense at all to me.

You are right that no one knows what her future will bring,just like no one knows what anyone's future will bring. We CAN,however, make informed guesses by looking at what she has already accomplished. MY bet is she is going to do well unless she gets involved in politics. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@jmyrlefuller

I don't get it. The girl is obviously intellectually gifted as well as enthusiastic about learning,and yet so many people seem reluctant to give her her due. Makes no sense at all to me.

You are right that no one knows what her future will bring,just like no one knows what anyone's future will bring. We CAN,however, make informed guesses by looking at what she has already accomplished. MY bet is she is going to do well unless she gets involved in politics.

@sneakypete I'm with you on this.  Instead of "good for her" it's all sorts of doom and gloom and she's not really that smart and she's going to fail.  I don't get it.    :shrug:

Offline Applewood

It would be nice if some real journalist (if there are any real journalists left) would follow Miss Wilson and some years down the road give us all an update on how she's doing, what career she chose, whether she accomplished anything and so forth. I for one would be very interested in knowing how she turns out.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It would be nice if some real journalist (if there are any real journalists left) would follow Miss Wilson and some years down the road give us all an update on how she's doing, what career she chose, whether she accomplished anything and so forth. I for one would be very interested in knowing how she turns out.

@Applewood

I wouldn't worry about that. Slow news days will take care of that,as editors look for "fillers". I suspect there will be a short story about her when she graduates from college,as well as another story on her as she gets her first job. Newspapers need "human interest" stuff like this to sell newspapers and remain in business.

I know I am rooting for her. It's good to hear something positive about teens for a change.

Bill Cipher

@jmyrlefuller

I’m with you on this one. 

Offline Applewood

@Applewood
I know I am rooting for her.  It's good to hear something positive about teens for a change.

On that, you and I agree.