Author Topic: Donald Trump says he 'feels badly for Theresa May' ahead of his state visit - but still wants answer  (Read 308 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald Trump says he 'feels badly for Theresa May' ahead of his state visit - but still wants answers from her over Britain's role in 'spying' on his campaign
Daily Mail/UK, May 25, 2019

•Donald Trump told reporters he thought Theresa May was a 'very strong woman'
•May tearfully announced resignation yesterday that comes into effect June 7
•Trump is due for State Visit to the UK on June 3 where he will talk to Mrs May
•Wants to confront her about 'rumours that UK was involved in the Russian hoax'

The President said he was 'feeling very badly' for the outgoing Prime Minister but said he may have to confront her over allegations GCHQ was involved in wire tapping on behalf of the Obama Administration.

He told reporters on the White House lawn on Friday: 'There's word and rumour that the FBI and others were involved, CIA were involved with the UK having to do with the Russian hoax and I may very well talk to her about that. Yes.'

Trump called Mrs May a 'very strong woman' the day after she announced her resignation as Prime Minister after admitting her failure to secure a Brexit deal. 

He said: 'I feel badly for Theresa, I like her very much. She's a good woman, she worked hard.

'She decided to do something that some people were surprised at. It's for the good of her country.'

Mrs May's resignation will come into effect on June 7, so she will still be acting Prime Minister during Trump's visit.

More:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7069617/Donald-Trump-says-feels-badly-Theresa-calls-good-woman-ahead-State-Visit.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Offline The_Reader_David

As one of the columists in The (London) Telegraph titled a recent opinion piece:  If only May had been been bloody difficult with the EU instead of with her MPs.  The whole problem was that she thought you could negotiate with the EU.  You can't.  Yanis Varoufakis (one of only two self-identified leftists for whom I have any respect) told her as much.  Perhaps soon Prime Minister Johnson (please, let Boris get the job!) will do what should have been done 26 months ago when Article 50 was invoked:  begin serious preparations for trading with the EU on WTO terms, including unilaterally lowering tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade with all WTO members, in such a way that the UK for its part will not need to create a hard border with the Republic of Ireland -- if the EU forces the RoI to put one up, that's on them, they'll have to figure out a way to do it that doesn't violate the Good Friday Accords -- and starting trade negotiations with the rest of the world.  As October 31 approaches, minds in Brussels (and Berlin and Paris) may be concentrated enough that they will propose something better, but is not the UK will have prepared.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.