Author Topic: Trump to Enforce Clinton-Era Law Requiring Sponsors to Pay Back Welfare Benefits of Immigrants  (Read 695 times)

rangerrebew

Trump to Enforce Clinton-Era Law Requiring Sponsors to Pay Back Welfare Benefits of Immigrants

President Donald Trump signed a memorandum on Thursday directing agencies to enforce a previously unenforced Clinton-era law that requires sponsors of immigrants to pay the government back for the welfare benefits those immigrants use.

The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) and the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act, were signed into law by then President Bill Clinton in 1996, but the provisions requiring government repayment were never enforced.

Sponsors will be required to sign an affidavit detailing what their financial responsibility will be to pay back the government for any government assistance program that the immigrant uses, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and cash assistance, as well as food stamps, Section 8 housing and rental assistance, Medicare Part D prescription drug benefits, and Medicaid for non-emergencies, Fox News reports.

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/melanie-arter/trump-enforce-clinton-era-law-requiring-sponsors-pay-back-welfare-benefits

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yep, the laws are there.  It's the will that's been lacking.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Yep, the laws are there.  It's the will that's been lacking.

@Sanguine

I think that Trump is very conflicted about the whole immigration topic.

As virtually everyone agrees at this point, "principles" are certainly not his guiding light on most topics.  Absent the principles, he says and reacts to a lot by how he feels at a particular point in time.  And perhaps, whom he has spoken with last.

I believe that there is a part of him that truly relates to, and wishes to support and remedy, the plight of ordinary Americans that have been suffering the consequences of both our unbridled legal immigration policies of many decades, and the complete lack of enforcement against the mounting invasion of illegal aliens.

But there is another part of him that is swayed by the "practical" and emotionally laden arguments.  There are a lot of voices that tell him "business needs these workers, we can't compete in a global economy unless we can obtain low wage workers..."  Of course we know that this "practical" side has led him to employ scores of foreign workers (legal or potentially otherwise) within his many business ventures.  There are other voices that play to the emotional side, telling him that they are people that are just looking for opportunity, and color it in terms of the earlier European immigrants' struggles.

He sits and listens to both, at certain junctures he is swayed more toward one camp or the other.

This is clear as he has hardline representatives of both camps amongst his closest advisers, witness Stephen Miller's and JarVanka's presence.

We have all witnessed this turmoil and conflict playing out in his rallies for several years now.  In segments that hearken back to the old time circus and medicine show promoters, he goes off on emotionally laden interludes that contain both promises to build a "big beautiful wall across the whole border" along with a "big beautiful DOOR right in the middle of it!"  He speaks one moment about the "monsters" and "savages" that he will prevent from entering the country, and a moment later about the "good people" that he wants to welcome in for their want of a better life.

If you just re-watch some of these rally videos, you can hear it as the cognitive dissonance washes over the crowd as they process the disconnects...  loud raucous cheers dim to almost silence for a moment, then come roaring back as he shouts and points toward another emotional trigger.

I suspect that it has been an ongoing internal struggle for Trump since he assumed office; however because of his office, the entire nation is pulled along in an existential national struggle.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You could well be correct.  I don't watch his rallies, so I can't speak to that.

However, he is at least conflicted.  The rest of the feds are not.  They are pro-immigration by any means.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Do illegals have "Sponsors?"  I don't think they do, so this would be a drop in the bucket.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Donald TrumpPublished 2 days ago
Trump signs memorandum requiring immigrant sponsors to pay for social services

President Trump is signed a memorandum Thursday that will enforce a 23-year-old provision requiring sponsors of legal immigrants in the U.S. to reimburse the government for any social services such as Medicaid or welfare used by the immigrant, Fox News has learned.

The provision was part of the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) and Welfare Reform laws that were signed by then-President Bill Clinton, but despite being enshrined in federal law, the rule has not been enforced.

Under the provision, each future sponsor of an immigrant would need to sign an affidavit that would spell out the financial responsibilities for the sponsored immigrant and create a collection mechanism to recover funds from the sponsor. The Department of Health and Human Services is to collect the data of the sponsors and the immigrants, while the Treasury Department would collect the funds.

The move – part of the president’s push for a merit-based immigration system – is meant to make the person sponsoring the immigrant responsible for any medical or financial benefits the immigrant receives.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-memorandum-requiring-immigrant-sponsors-pay-social-services

This is a great move.  The kind of move that I can give credit to the President for.  It seems it should'nt just be future but they should collect the data on all sponsors now and put them on notice that any future welfare will come out of their pockets.  This has been the law and just as others have said we already have laws, we need to just comply with them.  Something went very wrong that this has been ignored all these years.  Americans have been wronged.  Robbed to pay for government ignoring a law that is already on the books.

This also is a law that Joe Biden voted for.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:25:08 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Is the law that organizations purporting to be religious which have hauled in Federally funed (tax money) fortunes, one immigrant at a time to import these folks will have to pay, or will individuals be hit with the tab?

I see this as one tool to stem the unmitigated flow of folks like those who have built ethnic enclave all over America.

"Little Mogadishu" comes to mind (Minneapolis suburb), but there are other areas where imported 'refugees' have changed the demographics and culture, and not necessarily for the better.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

Is the law that organizations purporting to be religious which have hauled in Federally funed (tax money) fortunes, one immigrant at a time to import these folks will have to pay, or will individuals be hit with the tab?

I see this as one tool to stem the unmitigated flow of folks like those who have built ethnic enclave all over America.

"Little Mogadishu" comes to mind (Minneapolis suburb), but there are other areas where imported 'refugees' have changed the demographics and culture, and not necessarily for the better.

I hear you.  I am disgusted also with the religious organizations which are tax free who are organizing illegal immigrant flow.  Sheltering them.  Advocating for them.  This is also helped by Trump who changed the law to allow for political campaigning and activities by religious organizations.  The most obvious and I spoke with another member here about it is the "church" involved in organizing the caravans coming from Central America.  And as we are freedom of religion in this country we know that Extremist Islamic Mosques can also be engaged in politics and campaigning because of this.  Catholic church heavily involved in the flow of illegal immigrants.  But most people proclaimed win for religious freedom.  I think that they should take their exemption status away if they are involved in illegal activity.  For Christian churches they are sinning.  God instructs us to obey the laws. 

Absolutely, not all illegal immigration is from Central America.  Even at the southern border they are arresting people from over 50 countries.  The Northern border has seen an increase also.  Demographics have changed on the West Coast also.  Illegal immigrants are treated like citizens and they are registered to vote when they get driver licences.  California had a voting scam where people were voting twice.

Overall this is a great thing but they should go farther.  Like you said the religious organizations.  And they have the information on current sponsors.  They should put the law into affect and stop those who are scamming this country now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:03:19 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

American Civil Liberties Union
American Friends Service Committee
American Immigration Lawyers Association
American Immigration Council
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
Cato Institute
CHIRLA
Emerald Isle Immigration Center of New York
Essential Workers Immigration Coalition
Expats Reunite
Grantmakers Concerned With Immigrants and Refugees
Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (Maine)
Immigrant Legal Resource Center
Immigrant Solidarity Network
International Migration Policy Program
Immigration Voice
Information Technology Association of America
    Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)
    Lambda Legal
    Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force
    Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
    Migration Policy Institute
    NAFSA: Association of International Educators
    National Council of La Raza
    National Immigration Forum
    National Immigration Law Center
    National Lawyers Guild (National Immigration Project)
    National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
    Rand
    Survivors of Torture, International (SURVIVORS)
    U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
The list is far from complete (CAIR, for instance is absent).

The Catholics are only a part of this, but everyone seems to want to blame them.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

American Civil Liberties Union
American Friends Service Committee
American Immigration Lawyers Association
American Immigration Council
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
Cato Institute
CHIRLA
Emerald Isle Immigration Center of New York
Essential Workers Immigration Coalition
Expats Reunite
Grantmakers Concerned With Immigrants and Refugees
Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (Maine)
Immigrant Legal Resource Center
Immigrant Solidarity Network
International Migration Policy Program
Immigration Voice
Information Technology Association of America
    Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)
    Lambda Legal
    Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force
    Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
    Migration Policy Institute
    NAFSA: Association of International Educators
    National Council of La Raza
    National Immigration Forum
    National Immigration Law Center
    National Lawyers Guild (National Immigration Project)
    National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
    Rand
    Survivors of Torture, International (SURVIVORS)
    U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
The list is far from complete (CAIR, for instance is absent).

The Catholics are only a part of this, but everyone seems to want to blame them.

No, not saying that.  I only mentioned Catholics because I saw a Paul Ryan video of him speaking to a Catholic organization that gives aid to illegal immigrants.  I am sure there are Protestant churches and organizations that do also.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Paul+Ryan+speaking+to+Catholic+immigration+charity&&view=detail&mid=6D18C009AC5149600D276D18C009AC5149600D27&&FORM=VRDGAR
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:03:51 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Mod2

Offline Smokin Joe

No, not saying that.  I only mentioned Catholics because I saw a Paul Ryan video of him speaking to a Catholic organization that gives aid to illegal immigrants.  I am sure there are Protestant churches and organizations that do also.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Paul+Ryan+speaking+to+Catholic+immigration+charity&&view=detail&mid=6D18C009AC5149600D276D18C009AC5149600D27&&FORM=VRDGAR
I really did not think you were, actually, I just wanted to point out that there seems to be a tendency to blame Catholics, when actually, almost all denominations are at least used as a beard for the organizations reaping the $6,000/head to bring people in from all over.
Hold the organizations liable. One way to stem the flow of n'er do wells.

C S Lewis