General Category > Military/Defense News

Marine sergeant dies a few days after collapsing during a unit run in North Carolina

<< < (2/4) > >>

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on May 16, 2019, 11:59:58 am ---There was also a story about a couple of Navy recruits dying while on morning runs in boot camp.

Sounds to me like the US Navy and USMC need better medical screening programs to find existing/developing heart/heart-related problems. A Corpsman with a stethoscope just ain't going to cut it anymore.

--- End quote ---

Reading between the lines, there seem to be a number of these that are sickle-cell related.  I do know there is some politics involved in screening for sickle cell as it disqualifies a much higher percentage of black recruits.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: 240B on May 16, 2019, 12:29:09 pm ---I have seen this too. Don't know what it is, but it is not uncommon for someone to drop out of a run or an exercise.
My opinion is that if someone has a pre-existing undiagnosed condition, the military will find it. Sometimes fatally.

Try waking up every day at 5am for a 10 click run, with obstacles every 100 meters. Do that for 6 months to life. If you make it you make it. If you don't it's not your fault. That's just the way it is.

--- End quote ---

@240B

I  have been on 5 mile morning runs before breakfast wearing jump boots and fatigue uniform,and seen people break formation to puke up last night's whiskey,and then run fast to catch up and get back in their place in the column. Done it myself a time or two,too.

I have seen people just fall right over already asleep from fatigue and sleep deprivation,but I never saw anyone die from it.

The tells me the USN and the USMC are doing something wrong.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 16, 2019, 01:03:17 pm ---Reading between the lines, there seem to be a number of these that are sickle-cell related.  I do know there is some politics involved in screening for sickle cell as it disqualifies a much higher percentage of black recruits.

--- End quote ---

@Maj Bill Martin

Thanks,I didn't know that. I DID know that no negative reporting in allowed of anyone that isn't white,though,and if it is someone that isn't white they never seem to be able to find a photo to publish with the story.

InHeavenThereIsNoBeer:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 16, 2019, 01:03:17 pm ---Reading between the lines, there seem to be a number of these that are sickle-cell related.  I do know there is some politics involved in screening for sickle cell as it disqualifies a much higher percentage of black recruits.

--- End quote ---

That really sucks, because one could justifiably replace "disqualifies" with "saves the life of".

rangerrebew:
I'm about to post an article which claims 71% of Americans are unfit to serve, so maybe recruiters and the medical corps are pushing the envelope a bit too hard. *hmmmm*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version