General Category > Military/Defense News

Marine sergeant dies a few days after collapsing during a unit run in North Carolina

(1/4) > >>

rangerrebew:
Marine sergeant dies a few days after collapsing during a unit run in North Carolina
By: Shawn Snow  

A Marine died on Saturday after collapsing during a unit run held days prior at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to Marine officials.

Aid was “rendered on-site immediately” to Sgt. Mark A Bryant after he collapsed May 7 during a run with Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force – Southern Command, according to Maj. Matthew Mallalieu, a spokesman with the task force.

Bryant was transported by life flight to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina, where he passed away on Saturday, Mallalieu said.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2019/05/14/marine-sergeant-dies-a-few-days-after-collapsing-during-a-unit-run-in-north-carolina/

sneakypete:
There was also a story about a couple of Navy recruits dying while on morning runs in boot camp.

Sounds to me like the US Navy and USMC need better medical screening programs to find existing/developing heart/heart-related problems. A Corpsman with a stethoscope just ain't going to cut it anymore.

rustynail:
Was he carrying a female's gear?

240B:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on May 16, 2019, 11:59:58 am ---There was also a story about a couple of Navy recruits dying while on morning runs in boot camp.

Sounds to me like the US Navy and USMC need better medical screening programs to find existing/developing heart/heart-related problems. A Corpsman with a stethoscope just ain't going to cut it anymore.

--- End quote ---
I have seen this too. Don't know what it is, but it is not uncommon for someone to drop out of a run or an exercise.
My opinion is that if someone has a pre-existing undiagnosed condition, the military will find it. Sometimes fatally.

Try waking up every day at 5am for a 10 click run, with obstacles every 100 meters. Do that for 6 months to life. If you make it you make it. If you don't it's not your fault. That's just the way it is.

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: 240B on May 16, 2019, 12:29:09 pm ---I have seen this too. Don't know what it is, but it is not uncommon for someone to drop out of a run or an exercise.
My opinion is that if someone has a pre-existing undiagnosed condition, the military will find it. Sometimes fatally.

Try waking up every day at 5am for a 10 click run, with obstacles every 100 meters. Do that for 6 months to life. If you make it you make it. If you don't it's not your fault. That's just the way it is.

--- End quote ---

This is pretty much correct.  These kind of things have always happened, and are more or less inevitable when you take very large numbers of people and put them through vigorous exercise.

Some latent conditions that aren't apparent during normal screenings, and only arise during intense physical stress, are inevitably going to affect a very small percentage of people.   This occasionally happens with college athletes as well -- someone will simply drop dead during practice, etc..  Very sad, but I'm not sure it is completely avoidable as a practical matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version