Author Topic: Jordan Peterson: When the left goes too far — the dangerous doctrine of equity  (Read 364 times)

rangerrebew

Jordan Peterson: When the left goes too far — the dangerous doctrine of equity

They don’t care that there are well-documented reasons for unequal outcomes in occupational choice and pay in addition to whatever role genuine prejudice plays

Special to National Post   
Jordan Peterson

May 10, 2019
10:01 AM EDT

The mantra of Diversity, Inclusivity and Equity (DIE) perhaps constitutes the primary identifying factor of the tiny minority of radical collectivist ideologues that nonetheless have come to dominate the humanities and social sciences in Western universities (and, increasingly, the HR departments of corporations). Of these three, equity is the most egregious, self-righteous, historically-ignorant and dangerous. “Equity” is a term designed to signal “equality,” in some manner, and is a term designed to appeal to the natural human tendency toward fairness, but it does not mean the classic equality of the West, which is equality before the law and equality of opportunity.

Equality before the law means that each citizen will be treated fairly by the criminal justice and judicial systems regardless of their status — and that the state recognizes that each individual has an intrinsic value which serves as a limit to state power, and which the polity must respect. There is likely no more fundamental presumption grounding our culture.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jordan-peterson-when-the-left-goes-too-far-the-dangerous-doctrine-of-equity

Offline goatprairie

Conservatives, well aware of human frailty/imperfection, instinctively know that in any fair system some people are going to be better at certain things than others.
This is probaby what most separates us from liberals who appear to be inherently unwilling to believe that most people fail by their own errors and not some outside force(s).
From the inception of the modern feminist movement in the sixties, the heads of the movement made it clear that they viewed the unequal distribution of wealth and power between men and women as some evil plot i.e. The Patriarchy that kept all women down.
In fact Gloria Steinem, the Head Hag In Charge, insisted that the sexes were not only virtually equal in all mental capabilities, with a little weight training females could perform as well as males in areas like sports and physical tasks.
It was all a bunch of illiterate claptrap, but many women wishing to be seen as victims gladly swallowed the malarkey.
You still have  a number of Hollyweird celebs who insist they and all other American women are victims.
I have one sister who was ahead of me and my other siblings in math. Working for a top Fortune 500 firm she is the one who  made the most money among me and six siblings including three brothers, and we've all done alright and better.
That's the way things go. Some people are better at certain things than others.
But try telling a liberal that.