Author Topic: Country House declared Kentucky Derby winner after ‘inquiry ruling’; Maximum Security disqualified,  (Read 2092 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Kentucky Derby appeal filed by Maximum Security owners is denied

Basically: we don't care, the stewards' decisions are final regardless of whether they're right.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horseracing/2019/05/06/maximum-security-kentucky-derby-appeal/1121088001/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Idiot

How sad for Maximum Security.
It was a muddy track and Maximum Security slid a bit to the outside.  You mean they can control a horse to within inches of where it needs to be?  Not a chance.  Plus the jockey said the horse was spooked by the crowd and reacted.  If it were intentional then that would be another thing....but it wasn't.

Maximum Security was THE WINNER.  Taking the win away was just a joke. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:44:34 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It was a muddy track and Maximum Security slid a bit to the outside.  You mean they can control a horse to within inches of where it needs to be?  Not a chance.  Plus the jockey said the horse was spooked by the crowd and reacted.  If it were intentional then that would be another thing....but it wasn't.

Maximum Security was THE WINNER.  Taking the win away was just a joke.
Basically, that was what I saw as well, adjusting for sloppy track conditions, not a credible attempt to interfere with another horse, one which Maximum Security had passed, and which came in a few lengths behind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Basically, that was what I saw as well, adjusting for sloppy track conditions, not a credible attempt to interfere with another horse, one which Maximum Security had passed, and which came in a few lengths behind.

Yeah, I expect law suits. 

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Maximum Security's fourth win prior to the Derby (he was, of course, 4-for-4 before the Derby) was in similar conditions in the 24 January Optional Claiming race at Gulfstream Park. He wasn't exactly a stranger to sloppy tracks and neither was his jockey.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maximum Security's fourth win prior to the Derby (he was, of course, 4-for-4 before the Derby) was in similar conditions in the 24 January Optional Claiming race at Gulfstream Park. He wasn't exactly a stranger to sloppy tracks and neither was his jockey.
Run any horse around the same track on the same day and he won't step in the same place. Each event is different, for lots of reasons. This was a different track.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis