Author Topic: Trump should consider Robert E. Lee's act of treason before defending him  (Read 685 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump should consider Robert E. Lee's act of treason before defending him
By Christopher R. Hill, opinion contributor — 04/30/19 09:30 AM EDT

There is something relentless about President Trump’s capacity to simplify and willfully or otherwise misunderstand current events. But when he evokes history, especially to illustrate the present, the problems intensify.

The latest reprise of this appeared on the White House lawn as the president prepared to make his pilgrimage to the annual meeting of the National Rifle Association. The president doubled down to explain his infamous comment of two years ago that some people marching alongside members of the KKK and American Nazi Party in Charlottesville, Va., actually were quite decent folks — just citizens concerned about a plan to take down a statue of Robert E. Lee, who killed more Union troops than any other Confederate general during the Civil War. After all, the president schooled us, why should that statue be removed? Lee was a great general — and, gesturing toward the White House, Trump explained that he’s heard many people say the same within its walls.

Unlike most wars in which the victor writes the history, the story of the American Civil War is one that has been told at least as much by the prodigy of the vanquished. To give the president his due, the positive narrative over the decades of Robert E. Lee’s contribution to the Confederate cause was considerable. 

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/441168-trump-should-consider-robert-e-lees-act-of-treason-before-defending-him
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Even without getting into the weeds around reasoning for the Civil War or how 'noble' the Confederacy was and if they were worth looking up to (a whole other debate), Lee himself said there should be no monument to the Confederacy and no honoring what they did. Anything else is dishonoring his wishes. It is ironic some have raised statues to him (most under Woodrow Wilson's administration) to 'honor' him when in fact, it is a dishonor to his wishes.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Act of Treason my AZZ!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Trump should consider Robert E. Lee's act of treason before defending him
By Christopher R. Hill, opinion contributor — 04/30/19 09:30 AM EDT

@mystery-ak

Christopher R.Hill is a PC fool. It was LINCOLN tat committed treason. We were a VOLUNTARY UNION until Lincoln and his yankee backers went "full Hitler" in their grab for power and profits.

In FACT,the United States has been a lie ever since 1865 because we are no longer a voluntary union.

The way things are going,it shouldn't shock anyone that we are destined to break up into self-governing regions or become slaves/serfs to a CEO/Global Corporate Kingdom if we don't. This will probably happen one way or the other within 20 years.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:21:55 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

Trump was defending those who do not believe erasing our history serves any useful purpose, whom the Left thinks we should all damn to hell.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
@mystery-ak

Christopher R.Hill is a PC fool. It was LINCOLN tat committed treason. We were a VOLUNTARY UNION until Lincoln and his yankee backers went "full Hitler" in their grab for power and profits.

In FACT,the United States has been a lie ever since 1865 because we are no longer a voluntary union.

The way things are going,it shouldn't shock anyone that we are destined to break up into self-governing regions or become slaves/serfs to a CEO/Global Corporate Kingdom if we don't. This will probably happen one way or the other within 20 years.

@sneakypete

Agree wholeheartedly!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline dfwgator

Unlike most wars in which the victor writes the history, the story of the American Civil War is one that has been told at least as much by the prodigy of the vanquished.   

Which is why we didn't have a Second Civil War........yet.

Offline goatprairie

Even without getting into the weeds around reasoning for the Civil War or how 'noble' the Confederacy was and if they were worth looking up to (a whole other debate), Lee himself said there should be no monument to the Confederacy and no honoring what they did. Anything else is dishonoring his wishes. It is ironic some have raised statues to him (most under Woodrow Wilson's administration) to 'honor' him when in fact, it is a dishonor to his wishes.
Lee before the war also opposed secession saying that it was simply rebellion and not stated in the constitution. When later in the war he proposed freeing slaves to fight for the Confederacy and because they'd all have to be eventually freed anyway, he was met with disbelief by Confederate leaders and boosters, especially Jefferson Davis who flatly turned him down.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Lee was placed in the unenviable position of treason against his state or treason against his country.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Which is why we didn't have a Second Civil War........yet.

@dfwgator

civil war noun
Definition of civil war
: a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civil%20war

We have not yet had one of those but it's coming!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

Lee was placed in the unenviable position of treason against his state or treason against his country.

Back then that was a distinction without a difference, especially in the south.

Offline Hoodat

The Commonwealth of Virginia was his country.  He ceased being a US citizen the second that Virginia seceded, which was their right.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

@dfwgator

civil war noun
Definition of civil war
: a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civil%20war

I prefer calling it the War of Secession.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Trump was defending those who do not believe erasing our history serves any useful purpose, whom the Left thinks we should all damn to hell.

@skeeter

The left hates history because it always exposes them for being the monsters they are. That's why they only talk about the future.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Lee before the war also opposed secession saying that it was simply rebellion and not stated in the constitution. When later in the war he proposed freeing slaves to fight for the Confederacy and because they'd all have to be eventually freed anyway, he was met with disbelief by Confederate leaders and boosters, especially Jefferson Davis who flatly turned him down.

@goatprairie

I don't know who taught you that,but he was a liar. There were in FACT blacks fighting for the Confederacy. There is even a few black Confederate graveyards scattered about the south,but nobody in the media has ever wanted to talk about them,

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Hoodat

I prefer to call it "The War of Northern Aggression". A war that is still being fought.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I prefer the War of Northern Aggression because that is EXACTLY what it was/is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:35:04 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien