Author Topic: CNN: Former US-North Korea envoy says Trump approved plan to pay $2 million to free American student  (Read 267 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Former US-North Korea envoy says Trump approved plan to pay $2 million to free American student
By Zachary Cohen, CNN    April 29, 2019

Washington (CNN)Joseph Yun, the former State Department Special Representative for North Korea, confirmed Monday that he signed an agreement to pay North Korea $2 million for the release of American student Otto Warmbier in 2017.

In an interview with CNN's Jim Sciutto, Yun said that he did so with the approval of then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and that it was his understanding President Donald Trump had also signed off on the decision.

"As soon as North Korea side told me that this bill for $2 million would have to be paid ... I contacted my boss then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson," Yun said, noting that Tillerson "got back to me very quickly thereafter to say yes, go ahead and sign."

Read more at: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/29/politics/joseph-yun-warmbier-north-korea/index.html

Okay, we learned we already "approved" it, I suppose but then, the other stories say we didn't pay it so we reneged on a debt?  Reading the rest of the story, it does not affirm we paid it, it seems to repeat that it doesn't look like we did pay.