Author Topic: Copenhagen in flames after right-wing protesters provocatively throw the Quran on the ground  (Read 543 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Copenhagen in flames after right-wing protesters provocatively throw the Quran on the ground
By Emma R.   15 April 2019

An angry crowd of counter-protesters showed up and attacked Paludan’s demonstration, and when the police intervened, they were attacked as well.

“We had been expecting counter-protests, but not that it would lead to the type of unrest that we have seen today”, said Copenhagen police chief Jørgen Bergen Skov at a press conference in the evening, while the riots were still ongoing.

People threw, among other things, paving stones, bicycles and plastic chairs against the police, and footage from Nørrebro shows how cars and other property are ablaze.

Read more at: https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/04/copenhagen-in-flames-after-right-wing-protesters-provocatively-throw-the-quran-on-the-ground/

NY Times does report on this incident, not much other coverage readily available. I'm sure if one hunted for it, they could find it.

In Copenhagen, Reaction to an Anti-Muslim Event Turns Violent
By Martin Selsoe Sorensen
    April 15, 2019

COPENHAGEN — After an anti-Muslim provocateur publicly desecrated the Quran in Copenhagen, demonstrations against him on Sunday and early Monday descended into violent clashes between protesters, who set about 70 fires in the streets, and the police, who made 23 arrests.

The unrest in the Norrebro district of the Danish capital began on Sunday after Rasmus Paludan, the founder of a tiny far-right party, tossed a book he claimed was the Quran into the air and let it fall to the ground.

Mr. Paludan has spent the past months touring Denmark and staging offensive protests against Muslims and immigrants, often in neighborhoods with large immigrant populations. Until recently, he had largely been ignored by mainstream Danish news outlets, but the riots have propelled him to the center of national attention.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/world/europe/copenhagen-riots-quran.html

So, a Voice of Europe article is once more confirmed.

And where would we be without the NYT, this happens time and again. I may disagree with their editorial board but the rest of the articles might be worth checking out. They do some reporting others don't.  Again, I'm sure if one took the time, they could find other articles.

Ah! More coverage:

http://cphpost.dk/news/danish-round-up-police-establish-double-punishment-zones-in-copenhagen-following-rioting.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:55:07 pm by TomSea »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Liberals : Islamophobia leads to violence so it must be banned.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mountaineer

What's the definition of "right wing"? Is that just anyone who opposes Muslims in today's parlance?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What's the definition of "right wing"? Is that just anyone who opposes Muslims in today's parlance?

That's been a concern of others. And afterall, that "Voice of Europe" appears conservative.

Some of these terms to me, are just sort of "short hand", and I don't put too much stock in the terms they use although, I agree, at times, they can have ugly or at least, shady connotations.  What's worse, is when they say "far right-wing".

So, in other words, if we are going to be picky, you really can't, imo, have satisfactory types of definitions.

Offline WalkingLiberty

So, this group throws a Quran on the ground and the people protesting it light up their own neighborhoods.  I have long heard that Muslims were low IQ because of the rampant incest of uncles marrying nieces, etc.  Maybe it's true.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So, this group throws a Quran on the ground and the people protesting it light up their own neighborhoods.  I have long heard that Muslims were low IQ because of the rampant incest of uncles marrying nieces, etc.  Maybe it's true.

@WalkingLiberty

It does appear to be the beginning of a good plan,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I didn’t see this in the news, but then I just woke up and am drinking my morning coffee
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mountaineer asked:
"What's the definition of "right wing"? Is that just anyone who opposes Muslims in today's parlance?"

These days, it seems that if you're one step to the right of Karl Marx, you're a "right wing extremist"...