Author Topic: Judge blocks Trump's wait-in-Mexico asylum policy  (Read 683 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Judge blocks Trump's wait-in-Mexico asylum policy
« on: April 09, 2019, 11:06:31 am »
Judge blocks Trump's wait-in-Mexico asylum policy
Washington Times, Apr 8, 2019

A federal judge ordered the Trump administration to stop its new policy of sending asylum-seekers who jumped the border back to Mexico to wait while their cases proceed, ruling Monday that the plan was likely illegal.

Known informally as the “wait-in-Mexico policy,” and officially as the Migrant Protection Protocols, the plan was a major part of the administration’s moves to try to stem the flow of immigrants crossing into the U.S. illegally.

Judge Richard Seeborg, an Obama appointee to the bench, said not only does the policy violate immigration law, but Mexico is so dangerous that making asylum-seekers wait there — even if they’re not from Mexico — is untenable.

[...]

Migrants from Central America have figured out how to use asylum claims to gain a foothold in the U.S., where they are quickly released and disappear into the shadows. In moving ahead with the wait-in-Mexico policy, the administration hoped to deny them the chance to disappear into the U.S., figuring that would discourage some from coming.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/8/judge-blocks-trump-policy-returning-asylum-seekers/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Judge blocks Trump's wait-in-Mexico asylum policy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 11:07:14 am »
Any deep thoughts on this @libertybele  @Chosen Daughter  @Smokin Joe ?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:46:07 am »
Since when do state judges decide foreign policy?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:59:18 am »
My understanding is that you need to apply for asylum in the nearest consulate or embassy. Since they are "passing through" Mexico to get here, that would be where they apply. The judge has no business or standing. Ignore it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 03:32:05 pm »
Yep. Article 2, Section 3 of the United States Constitution:
... he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed...

We have laws against crashing our borders. Kick them out.

Note Article 4, Section 4:
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

What more mandate does he need?
Article VI
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any state to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Judge is out of line.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:48:30 pm »
A federal judge ordered the Trump administration to stop its new policy of sending asylum-seekers who jumped the border back to Mexico to wait while their cases proceed, ruling Monday that the plan was likely illegal.

Likely illegal?  What in the heck does "likely illegal" mean?  What a law broken or not?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 04:02:20 pm »
8 U.S. Code § 1158

(a) Authority to apply for asylum
(1) In general

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.
(2) Exceptions
(A) Safe third country

Paragraph (1) shall not apply to an alien if the Attorney General determines that the alien may be removed, pursuant to a bilateral or multilateral agreement, to a country (other than the country of the alien’s nationality or, in the case of an alien having no nationality, the country of the alien’s last habitual residence) in which the alien’s life or freedom would not be threatened on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, and where the alien would have access to a full and fair procedure for determining a claim to asylum or equivalent temporary protection, unless the Attorney General finds that it is in the public interest for the alien to receive asylum in the United States.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

Mexico has already agreed to help these aliens.  And the fact that they were able to travel 2500 miles through Mexico without arrest shows proves that their asylum designation is bogus.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 04:12:19 pm »
My understanding is that you need to apply for asylum in the nearest consulate or embassy. Since they are "passing through" Mexico to get here, that would be where they apply. The judge has no business or standing. Ignore it.

That's my thought too.  Does Trump have what it takes to do the right thing?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:13:07 pm by Sanguine »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 04:33:18 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia realize that I support Trump's efforts to protect this country.  I can NOT and WILL not support him when he makes idles threats and does nothing!  I can NOT and WILL not support him when he signs a bill that grants amnesty or allows states to opt out of a barrier.  I can NOT and WILL not support a president that waits till he loses a majority of his Congress before he decides to act.  It was a futile attempt, he knew it and so did Nancy.  She called his lame bluff.  Trying to convince people that he was serious about the shutdown, or even building a wall is laughable as his actions speak otherwise.

Trump signed an e.o. on asylum in which he has every right to do so.   Bammy signed several e.o.'s and Holder was even ordered by judge(s) to comply they did not., iow -- Trump has the AUTHORITY he needs to follow through with his e.o.

We are being invaded.  HE has the right, authority and OBLIGATION to protect the citizens of this country from INVASION.  Isn't an invasion a declaration of war??

He also HAS THE AUTHORITY to declare a moratorium on ALL migration into this country (as has been done in the past) which would include those wanting asylum.  We are NOT the world's door step.

Him backing down with Mexico for a year is only giving those illegals notice that they've got a year to come here

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 04:37:56 pm »
That's my thought too.  Does Trump have what it takes to do the right thing?

Remember that Trump has already NOT done the right thing. He has already allowed the U.N. to determine who gets in and who doesn't and is allowing them to determine where these people will be placed including inside the U.S.  I believe that he gave the e.o. AFTER he already agreed to allow U.N. policy to dictate to the U.S. 

Again, he waits and then acts after the fact.  It seems that learning on this issue as he goes along is costing us bigly.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 09:06:05 pm »

That is my understanding as well. International law. So how does a judge overturn that?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:27 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia realize that I support Trump's efforts to protect this country.  I can NOT and WILL not support him when he makes idles threats and does nothing!  I can NOT and WILL not support him when he signs a bill that grants amnesty or allows states to opt out of a barrier.  I can NOT and WILL not support a president that waits till he loses a majority of his Congress before he decides to act.  It was a futile attempt, he knew it and so did Nancy.  She called his lame bluff.  Trying to convince people that he was serious about the shutdown, or even building a wall is laughable as his actions speak otherwise.

Trump signed an e.o. on asylum in which he has every right to do so.   Bammy signed several e.o.'s and Holder was even ordered by judge(s) to comply they did not., iow -- Trump has the AUTHORITY he needs to follow through with his e.o.

We are being invaded.  HE has the right, authority and OBLIGATION to protect the citizens of this country from INVASION.  Isn't an invasion a declaration of war??

He also HAS THE AUTHORITY to declare a moratorium on ALL migration into this country (as has been done in the past) which would include those wanting asylum.  We are NOT the world's door step.

Him backing down with Mexico for a year is only giving those illegals notice that they've got a year to come here

Please, I beg you @libertybele  --- buy a vowel.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 11:32:44 pm »
Please, I beg you @libertybele  --- buy a vowel.

Look at all the posts from others in here @ RIV in regards to this issue.  The chaos at the border is absolutely shameful. There has NEVER been chaos like this at the border, even under Bammy.

When are you and the other Trumpers going to realize that you've been duped?  He has no intention of curtailing this invasion.  He's brought this chaos on, by his threats, tweets, and back pedaling.  He's lost ALL credibility.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 01:03:18 am »
The Donald Trump that I was sold would tell that judge to pound sand.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 01:05:50 am »

Look at all the posts from others in here @ RIV in regards to this issue.  The chaos at the border is absolutely shameful. There has NEVER been chaos like this at the border, even under Bammy.

When are you and the other Trumpers going to realize that you've been duped?  He has no intention of curtailing this invasion.  He's brought this chaos on, by his threats, tweets, and back pedaling.  He's lost ALL credibility.

Okay I was wrong.  You should buy TWO vowels.   :laugh: