Author Topic: In America, The number of people who have no religion has risen 266% in three decades  (Read 309 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: UK DAILY MAIL

URL: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6886705/Is-America-Godless-number-people-no-religion-rose-266-three-decades.html

by : Valerie Bauman

The number of Americans who identify as having no religion has risen 266 percent since 1991, to now tie statistically with the number of Catholics and Evangelicals, according to a new survey.

People with no religion – known as 'nones' among statisticians – account for 23.1 percent of the U.S. population, while Catholics make up 23 percent and Evangelicals account for 22.5 percent, according to the General Social Survey.

Those three groups now represent the largest the religious groups in America.

The survey has tracked a broad swath of American trends since 1972, offering comprehensive insight into the evolving face of religion over more than four decades.

Ryan Burge, a political science professor at Eastern Illinois University who analyzed the data, said that experts have several theories about why the number of 'nones' has risen so dramatically in recent decades.

'One of them is that many people used to lie about what they were,' he told DailyMail.com. 'Many people were (always) atheist or non-religious, but it was previously culturally unacceptable to not have a religion in America.'

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Offline Victoria33

@SirLinksALot
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak
@QueenCatofAragon

Thanks for posting this.  I copied the info and sent it to my Catholic church friends.
The sex problem with some Catholic Priests/Pastors is briefly mentioned but the Catholic numbers hold in spite of this which is what he indicates.  This is because we Catholics know a Priest is a human, not God.  We also do not worship the Pope.  He is human, too.  Our belief is in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. One bad number we have, not covered here, is not enough Priests for our Churches.  Young and/or old for that matter, are not training to be Priests.  That is another story, but we need more Priests.
For me, I think of the Pope as the keeper of ancient manuscripts in the Vatican library.

I expect all of you are the same - you don't worship your pastor; he is human.  Back to the numbers in this article: I was surprised to see regular Christian denomination's numbers going down like they are. These are the denominations that have been here hundreds of years - Presbyterian, Christian, Methodist, Church of Christ, etc.  It appears these church members are leaving these churches and going to the Evangelical churches, or giving up on religion.  That is the worst part - nonbeliever numbers are going up.
Thanks for reading this; I am just responding to this article as I feel it in my soul.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:28:24 pm by Victoria33 »