Author Topic: My brother is in jail in Mauritania — for reporting on a massive fraud  (Read 249 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My brother is in jail in Mauritania — for reporting on a massive fraud
By Nasser Weddady

Imagine that convicted U.S. investor and scammer Bernie Madoff, who ran America’s largest Ponzi scheme, was protected by the White House. Next imagine that the president was benefiting from the scam and protecting Madoff from prosecution.

This is exactly what is unfolding in the West African nation of Mauritania today. The man who alerted the public to a nationwide fraud is sitting in jail. The alleged scammer is free and is likely being shielded from the law by the nation’s president, Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz.

This story began three years ago, in January 2016, when my brother, Abderrahmane Weddady, launched a campaign to warn people about a possible swindle. A Muslim cleric was offering to buy real estate at prices 30 to 40 percent above its real market value, thus offering people a quick way to cash in on their homes.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/01/my-brother-is-jail-mauritania-reporting-massive-fraud/