Author Topic: Commentary: A college lecture on Confederate statues made me realize I’m squelching free speech on  (Read 134 times)

rangerrebew

Commentary: A college lecture on Confederate statues made me realize I’m squelching free speech on campus

I am the problem with free speech on college campus. At the very least, I don’t help. President Donald Trump took action earlier this month to deal with what he sees as an assault on conservative voices. The squelching of diverse viewpoints and the disinvitation of conservatives to college campuses is a well-documented trend that has led to an increasingly fervent left and fewer and fewer conservative and moderate students who are willing to speak.

While this problem largely correlates with a persistent rise in the number of liberal professors, I would argue that much of the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of my peers and me.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-free-speech-college-campuses-trump-conservative-voice-20190325-story.html