Author Topic: Ah, this was Opening Day . . .  (Read 3072 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Ah, this was Opening Day . . .
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 02:17:29 am »
I don't believe Leo was being critical.  He was acknowledging that at any given moment there are multiple things going on out there that the average fan sitting in the stands or watching on TV aren't aware of.
Indeed there were. Including a small truckload of Durocher's own fooleries and cheats.

So I do believe the beauty of baseball is that it can be loved at a multitude of levels.
If it couldn't, it wouldn't be the one sport above all that's inspired the most lyrical writing about it, from Marianne Moore and John Updike to Robert Pinsky and Red Smith.

Sabermetrics be damned. :laugh:
I should never damn anything that only enhances both my understanding and my love for the game even deeper---especially when it came to one point I often forget: you can't possibly see every baseball game played, or every baseball player play every game he's ever played (even if you had one of those programs where you could divide your big screen into fifteen subscreens with every day's game playing, unless you had fifteen pairs of eyes and as many brains), so it gives you as true a depth of what those games and those players actually did when you missed them, and what it was actually worth in contexts. Sometimes you can even get lost enough in the watching of a game that you might forget or even miss the smallest thing making the biggest difference. And sometimes, no matter what you saw with your own eyes or heard with your own ears (to this day there's a singular joy in listening to baseball on the radio and putting your mind's eye to work), you might not have realised just how great the players you've seen for as often as you were able to see them really were. (Or, how great they ended up not being, in the case of, for very hypothetical example, a kid you just saw hit one clean out of the stadium but never got to see again, until you picked up a record book or hit a stat Website and noticed it was the only hit he ever got in a season or even in the Show.)

I do think there are those sabermetricians who are unaware of the concept of making their thoughts or concepts simpler. I got those early Bill James Baseball Abstracts, myself, and I'm about as much of a mathemetician as Eric Clapton is an animal trainer, but I also got that a lot of people wondered whether they should laugh, take an ibuprofen, or run those early Abstracts through Uniblab. So when I started getting into my own deeper statistical analyses, I made a conscious effort to try to keep it simple. And as the man on the radio used to say, it ain't easy, Clyde.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.