Author Topic: Look at the science and stop the march toward legalized marijuana  (Read 432 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Look at the science and stop the march toward legalized marijuana
by Washington Examiner
 | March 29, 2019 11:04 AM

The marijuana industry had a good day in Washington Thursday, as the House Financial Services Committee passed a bill to liberalize banking laws covering the industry. This win for pot came after a pretty tough blow: A new study published in the Lancet, a highly respected medical journal, found that high-potency marijuana can make you psychotic. In fact, about half of all cases of psychoses in Amsterdam could be prevented “if high-potency cannabis were no longer available,” the data suggest.

The study doesn’t prove causality, but it certainly suggests it may be there. It illustrates the need for more research into the careless and unscientific claims that marijuana use is harmless. It also cries out for U.S. policymakers to put the brakes on the push to legalize recreational marijuana use and weaken guardrails around “medical” marijuana.

The better policy would be to go slow, based on only solid science.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/look-at-the-science-and-stop-the-march-toward-legalized-marijuana
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Look at the science and stop the march toward legalized marijuana
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 04:05:04 pm »
A new study published in the Lancet, a highly respected medical journal
Fuller's rule of life #3: Never trust anything published in The Lancet.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 04:43:26 pm »
I subscribe to the "Gateway Substance" warning. Tobacco, alcohol, MJ lead up the drug heiarchy, to meth,cocaine, opioids, etc.

Mother don't let your babies, grow up to be drug addicts.

A lot of the homeless lying around our cities, are drug addicts.

See the video titled "Seattle is Dying."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 05:06:01 pm »
None of the problems described even come close to the problems created by government prohibitions. The government should not be in the job of protecting people from themselves. Otherwise we might as well ban everything that could be harmful if abused.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:49:16 pm »
None of the problems described even come close to the problems created by government prohibitions. The government should not be in the job of protecting people from themselves. Otherwise we might as well ban everything that could be harmful if abused.
I tend to agree, but at the same time I'm pretty tired of the mj advocates who prate about how harmless it is.
Obviously, it's a drug that carries risks like all drugs...even aspirin.
Nevertheless, until it is proved to be a great risk like fentanyl, I'm not opposed to legalization.
Just don't tell me it's harmless.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 12:43:55 am »
"Reefer Madness..."

They were right.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 09:49:59 am »
"Reefer Madness..."

They were right.
Well, it's easy enough to tell who likes the sh*t.

Look at what has happened to Denver since Colorado legalized pot. Not just the 'official' reports where the stats will say property crime is down (no, it isn't, the police just aren't doing anything about it unless it is really big). If the reports don't get filled out, it didn't happen, right? I know a couple of people who have moved out because of the deteriorating situation there.
Where the town is now a sanctuary city for illegals,
Where you can literally sh*t in the street.
Where there are shoot up havens...with free needles and stuff.
And where the legislation in the State is becoming increasingly wacko....

Do you really want to open that Pandora's box across the country?

No thanks. Why don't we see what is happening with the places which have already legalized it?

In North Dakota, an initiated measure to legalize Medical marijuana passed at the ballot box, but a measure to legalize Recreational marijuana failed, by about the same margins. That seems sane to me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis