State Chapters > Texas

Cloud of Cancer-Causing Chemical Hangs Over the Houston Channel

<< < (2/3) > >>

Idiot:

--- Quote from: thackney on March 25, 2019, 02:16:24 pm ---Texas sues company behind Deer Park terminal fire
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/03/22/texas-sues-company-deer-park-terminal-fire/

Attorney General Ken Paxton filed an environmental lawsuit against Intercontinental Terminals Company late Friday seeking tens of thousands of dollars in damages....

--- End quote ---
Well that didn't take long.  :laugh:

jpsb:
I probably need to sue too. I live right on the bay. I've warned a few friends not to bring their dogs over for a
swim. No more fishing, swimming or sailing. Sucks. I wonder when it will be safe to use the bay again.

thackney:
News Release # 22
https://itcresponse.com/

Unified Command continues clean-up operations at the Intercontinental Terminals Company LLC (ITC) facility, Tucker’s Bayou and Houston Ship Channel near Deer Park, Texas.

Since March 19, 2019, more than 1,100 federal, state and local first responders, agencies, and environmental cleanup contractors have been on the scene and actively assessing, booming and continuing to remove product from affected areas.

ITC operational personnel are pumping out tank 80-7. They are currently transferring product from 80-14 and will begin transferring from tanks 80-15 and 80-10 all to tank 80-18. They’re also still pumping product from the ditch using vacuum trucks and hoses. That product is being transferred to tank 100-28. They are still foaming the tank farm hourly to maintain a 2-foot level of foam.

We continue to monitor air and water quality. Updates are available on this ITC’s web page www.iterm.com/news, as well as, those of the responding agencies.

The Coast Guard Captain of the Port has opened the San Jacinto River for a period of time to allow vessel traffic through the channel on Sunday between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Monday, between 9 a.m. and noon. The Houston Ship Channel remains closed to traffic between Tucker’s Bayou and HSC Light 116 and closed for cargo operations from HSC Light 139 to HSC Light 129.

Tucker’s Bayou and the adjacent ITC piers remain the primary impacted location and the product is contained within booming. Overflights were able to confirm the western leading edge of the product is located at Patrick’s Bayou and the eastern leading edge is at Old River, with pockets of additional product in the vicinity of Lynchburg Ferry and San Jacinto Port.

Approximately 27,000-feet of boom has been deployed, covering Tucker’s Bayou, the ITC docks, Patrick’s Bayou, Old River, Carpenter’s Bayou, Battleship Texas, Santa Ana Bayou, the western shore of the mouth of the San Jacinto River, and the oyster beds located in Burnett Bay.

There are currently 34 vessels, including 15 skimmers, on scene conducting operations. An additional seven skimmers and 12 vessels are scheduled to arrive on scene to support assessment, protection, and recovery operations.

Incident Summary:

Response assets:
• Personnel assigned: 775
• Fire-fighting equipment: 14
• Product removal vehicles: 20
• Vessels assigned: 45
• Boom deployed: 27,000 feet

Skimmers have recovered more than 1.3 million gallons of oil water mixture as cleanup crews
work 24 hours a day. More than 27,000 feet of boom deployed.

Recovered material:
• Oily water mixture 1.3 million gallons removed from the water
• Pyrolysis gasoline (or Pygas) 12,647 barrels removed from tank 80-7

Idiot:
I find it amazing that any oil/gasoline actually ended up in the channel. I would have thought that the tank farm dikes would have held it all in.  Maybe time to rethink the containment for those tank farms?  I'm guess the lawyers/lawsuits will force a change.

thackney:

--- Quote from: mrpotatohead on March 25, 2019, 02:54:08 pm ---I find it amazing that any oil/gasoline actually ended up in the channel. I would have thought that the tank farm dikes would have held it all in.  Maybe time to rethink the containment for those tank farms?  I'm guess the lawyers/lawsuits will force a change.

--- End quote ---

I would guess the pounding the fire water did over days damaged the dike walls.

https://patch.com/texas/pasadena-tx/houston-ship-channel-closed-after-dike-wall-fails-itc-site

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version