Author Topic: Israeli envoy: Trump will formally recognize Israel's control of Golan Heights on Monday  (Read 314 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Israeli envoy: Trump will formally recognize Israel's control of Golan Heights on Monday
By Rebecca Kheel - 03/24/19 06:49 PM EDT

President Trump’s decision to recognize Israel’s control of the Golan Heights will be formalized Monday when Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visits the White House, Israel’s ambassador to the United States said Sunday.

Ambassador Ron Dermer made the announcement at the opening night of this year’s American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference in Washington, D.C., after having been asked about the threat Israel faces from Iran in Syria.

“If we’re going to talk about Syria, I think it’s important for me to thank President Trump for recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights,” Dermer said to applause from the crowd.

“I think that deserves a standing ovation,” he added, with the crowd following suit by standing to applaud.

“It’s so significant in historical terms because 52 years ago we acquired that territory in a defensive war,” Dermer continued. “There’s one thing to achieve a military victory, which our brave soldiers did. It’s another thing to translate that military victory into a diplomatic victory. It took us 52 years to do that, and I think it will formally be declared, that diplomatic victory, tomorrow at the White House, and the people of Israel are very grateful to President Trump.”

Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria during the 1967 Six-Day War and annexed the territory in 1981, a move that was not formally recognized by the U.S. and other nations who said its permanent status should be determined through negotiations.

Last week, though, Trump announced on Twitter that he would recognize Israel’s control over the Golan Heights.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/435545-israeli-ambassador-to-us-trump-will-formally-recognize-israels-control-of
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34