Author Topic: To Pay for Reparations, Will Democrats Sue Themselves? - Larry Elder  (Read 532 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
To Pay for Reparations, Will Democrats Sue Themselves?

After the election and re-election of the country’s first black president, who would have thought that, less than two years later, leading Democrats would seriously debate paying blacks reparations for slavery?

Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi supports a bill that would set up a commission to consider reparations, which she says is “One of the things that we can do not only just in terms of trying to make up for a horrible, sinful thing that happened in our country in terms of slavery, but for our country to live up to who we think we are.” She added: “We have to reduce the disparity in income in our country. We have to reduce the disparity in access to education in an affordable way in our country, reduce the health disparities in our country.”

But two years ago, President Barack Obama called reparations a political nonstarter. “It is easy to make that theoretical argument,” Obama said in an interview. “But as a practical matter, it is hard to think of any society in human history in which a majority population has said that as a consequence of historic wrongs, we are now going to take a big chunk of the nation’s resources over a long period of time to make that right.”

President John F. Kennedy took the same positions. Asked in1963 about race-based affirmation action for blacks, Kennedy said: “I don’t think we can undo the past. In fact, the past is going to be with us for a good many years in uneducated men and women who lost their chance for a decent education. We have to do the best we can now. That is what we are trying to do. I don’t think quotas are a good idea. I think it is a mistake to begin to assign quotas on the basis of religion or race or color, or nationality. … On the other hand, I do think that we ought to make an effort to give a fair chance to everyone who is qualified, not through a quota, but just look over our employment rolls, look over our areas where we are hiring people, and at least make sure we are giving everyone a fair chance, but not hard-and-fast quotas. We are too mixed, this society of ours, to begin to divide ourselves on the basis of race or color.”

Read more at: https://www.larryelder.com/column/to-pay-for-reparations-will-democrats-sue-themselves/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: To Pay for Reparations, Will Democrats Sue Themselves? - Larry Elder
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:54:16 pm »
 :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 04:56:33 pm »
The funny thing is,  if blacks got reparations for slavery, where do you think all that money is going to wind up in a very short amount of time?

Right back in the hands of Whitey!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »
The funny thing is,  if blacks got reparations for slavery, where do you think all that money is going to wind up in a very short amount of time?

Right back in the hands of Whitey!
As you know well, it would never end. As soon as the majority lost their unearned dough, they'd ask for more. Once it is established that certain people are owed money for what happened to their ancestors hundreds of years before, they will always have their hand out.
Look at South Africa. The black thieves running the country are now demanding total ownership of everything whites have. White settlers built what civilization there is in SA, and if they're all eliminated, SA will descend back into third world status. See Zimbabwe.
The Chinese are looking on with great interest waiting for SA to totally disintegrate, and then they'll take over. They won't be nearly as understanding of black failure as white liberals are.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:18:08 pm »
President John F. Kennedy took the same positions. Asked in1963 about race-based affirmation action for blacks, Kennedy said: “I don’t think we can undo the past. In fact, the past is going to be with us for a good many years in uneducated men and women who lost their chance for a decent education. 

This would be the same John Kenedy who as Senator couldn't muster the conviction to vote for the 1957 Civil Rights Act.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:32:56 pm »
Speaking of the 1957 Civil Rights Act, author after author will say JFK voted against it.... I heard the bill was watered down in committee.

Here is the roll call from that vote.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/85-1957/s75

Check the Massachusetts  voting and read the table carefully, JFK is a yeah, there is some sort of history here. I don't deny he voted against it. An expert or historian needs to clarify it.  I actually have looked up the vote.

Maybe someone knows, because someone popped this table on me as well. What the heck?

So, what I think happened is JFK was in the committee that severely watered the bill down, he voted against a much better civil rights bill in committee so a largely trimmed down bill (only 18 voted against it) could pass.  I read about it one time in an article but since, haven't found that same information.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:40:55 pm by TomSea »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 06:55:53 pm »
Speaking of the 1957 Civil Rights Act, author after author will say JFK voted against it.... I heard the bill was watered down in committee.

Here is the roll call from that vote.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/85-1957/s75

Check the Massachusetts  voting and read the table carefully, JFK is a yeah, there is some sort of history here. I don't deny he voted against it. An expert or historian needs to clarify it.  I actually have looked up the vote.

Maybe someone knows, because someone popped this table on me as well. What the heck?

@TomSea  - Thanks for the link.  I had always understood that he abstained.  Maybe it was the 1960 CRA.  But tracking down that vote through this same site, it comes out 'YEA'.  The curious part of this source data is that it shows votes recorded AFTER the alleged 'final vote' tallies.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:36:18 pm »
@TomSea  - Thanks for the link.  I had always understood that he abstained.  Maybe it was the 1960 CRA.  But tracking down that vote through this same site, it comes out 'YEA'.  The curious part of this source data is that it shows votes recorded AFTER the alleged 'final vote' tallies.
Kennedy put political realism before any form of beliefs when he voted against Eisenhower’s 1957 Civil Rights Act.
https://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/the-civil-rights-movement-in-america-1945-to-1968/john-kennedy-and-civil-rights/

A neutral website, I think the answer is, if this is ever brought up is to say then, "why do so many authors say Kennedy voted against civil rights?", He obviously did. Just some roll call on a bill may not be total evidence of the situation, just some webpage.

@Hoodat

I think any competent historian probably would say he voted against it in 1957.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
Of Course the Dems would sue themselves.

So long as the damages come out of Taxes/Public Monies.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 12:48:33 am »
Well, I'll just put on my leftist/democrat-communist thinkin' cap for a moment.

If I wanted to acquire cash with which to pay said reparations, I'd take a certain percentage "off the top" of all existing IRA's, 401k's, etc.

From the "haves" to the "have nots".
Dem's da best kind o' reparashuns.

Simple.
Easy.
Nuthin' to it!