Author Topic: Best concerts you've ever attended  (Read 8276 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Best concerts you've ever attended
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:32 pm »
I have been to many.  I think it is a toss up between Fleetwood Mac and Kansas. You haven't lived until you have seen Stevie Nicks almost face plant after chugging Jack D.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:57:14 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

Re: Best concerts you've ever attended
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:18 pm »
Its hard to say which was best but I can tell you which was most physically demanding - Led Zep in 1977 two and a half hours at 90 degrees 20 ft from the stage with a 110 lb girlfriend on the shoulders. Couldn't hear a thing for three days.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:21:47 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:21:16 pm »
I haven't seen that many. Both Dylan and Peter Tosh were very good shows.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:43 pm »
Boston and Nightwish

Trans Siberia Orchestra is on the bucket list...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:43:26 pm »
The one that made my ears bleed was Nazareth.  The opening act was Black Oak Arkansas.    Jim Dandy to the rescue...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:07:40 am »
RUSH - Jackson, MS - 1982

Also, if you get the opportunity to see Steve Winwood, don't pass it up.  Saw him in Atlanta three years ago.  It was an awesome show.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:59:57 am »
Iron Butterfly.....69 Mississippi River Festival...just to hear their one and only hit..In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida..some drunk vomited on my blanket....

Johnny Mathais..[don't judge..I got free tickets turned out to be a good show]...Mississippi River Festival

John Denver...Mississippi River Festival....early 70's

Beach Boys.... "  '''

I've forgotten many others....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:01:19 am »
I won free tickets on the radio to a Fleetwood Mac show... they were great, even if not my exact band and type of music.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:11:08 am »
Madhouse Rock (Alice Cooper) '79
America ('74)
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (3X) '75-'76-'77
et.al.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:30:18 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 01:16:02 am »
The London Symphony Orchestra string section, at the Barbican Centre, performing works by Britten, Elgar and R.V. Williams, including Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, which I regard as the most beautiful piece of music composed in the 20th century.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 01:16:27 am »
Humble Pie, and maybe the next best was ZZ Top.  T-Rex, Todd Rundgren, Bowie (in his Ziggy Stardust days), Willie Nelson, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt, Joe Ely, John Hiatt and Buddy Guy, BB King, and even Alice Cooper was great.  And, so many more.  Speaking of Black Oak, they played for a "house party" at the place next to Graceland.  Awesome party.  Music gives me joy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:17:20 am »
Iron Butterfly.....69 Mississippi River Festival...just to hear their one and only hit..In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida..some drunk vomited on my blanket....

Johnny Mathais..[don't judge..I got free tickets turned out to be a good show]...Mississippi River Festival

John Denver...Mississippi River Festival....early 70's

Beach Boys.... "  '''

I've forgotten many others....

Johnny Mathis had a beautiful voice.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 01:23:51 am »
Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell rock opera.  Justbfar enough away from the stage that the sweat he was slinging couldn't hit me.

Kris Kristofferson, no band just a man and his guitar singing his own poetry.  https://www.houstonpress.com/music/kris-kristofferson-delivers-a-debate-night-sermon-at-redneck-country-club-8847238

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:27:34 am »
Humble Pie, and maybe the next best was ZZ Top.  T-Rex, Todd Rundgren, Bowie (in his Ziggy Stardust days), Willie Nelson, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt, Joe Ely, John Hiatt and Buddy Guy, BB King, and even Alice Cooper was great.  And, so many more.  Speaking of Black Oak, they played for a "house party" at the place next to Graceland.  Awesome party.  Music gives me joy.

PartyAnimal
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:28:31 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 01:27:56 am »
Best concert I missed...

Beatles at Busch Stadium....best friend's dad promised to get tickets..he had connections...major fail..even he couldn't get them...I cried and cried....I missed seeing Paul 8888crybaby
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 01:31:53 am »

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:27 am »
Back in the day....
Rush
And
Iron Maiden - had back stage passes, managed to fenagle that into a about 4 hours at the after show party, spent 3 of those sitting on a couch talking guitars, amplifiers and general musicianship w lead guitarist Adrian Smith.

But the best one was the one where my band opened for Molly Hatchett

(And now a few lightbulbs go off about my screen name)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:39:08 am by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 01:40:24 am »
Rush
And
Iron Maiden - had back stage passes, managed to fenagle that into a about 4 hours at the after show party, spent 3 of those sitting on a couch talking guitars, amplifiers and general musicianship w lead guitarist Adrian Smith.

But the best one was the one where my band opened for Molly Hatchett

(And now a few lightbulbs go off about my screen name)

I figured it had something to do with guitars, but had no idea you were so illustrious!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 01:42:17 am »
And, Marshall Tucker up in the Ozarks.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:31 am »
Back in the day....

I only saw the usual. Van Halen with David Lee Roth was the biggest party. Saw them with Sammy Hagar. Foreigner. Styx. Heart. Journey. Megadeath. ZZ Top twice. BTO. Rush. Judas Priest. A nice surprise was Three Doors Down with Seether and Shinedown. Boston. Bryan Adama. DIO was the loudest. When they hit it they blew every circuit breaker in the venue. There were more.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 01:50:47 am »
Boston and Nightwish

Trans Siberia Orchestra is on the bucket list...

Nightwish is certainly on my top too. They put on an amazing show. I got lucky enough to be able to do an event photoshoot  for Floor's second show. (And have seen them 3 other times).

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 02:05:43 am »
I had to think about this awhile, but the "concerts" I most enjoyed weren't really concerts at all.  Just a bunch of good folks gathered around the porch at Hondo Crouch's place on a Saturday afternoon listening to folks, many of whom went on to great things, jam while hugging my honey.

That little place is now known as Luckenbach these days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 02:10:25 am »
@The Ghost

Enjoyed the thread...good idea..
Support the USO

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 02:25:09 am »
I had to think about this awhile, but the "concerts" I most enjoyed weren't really concerts at all.  Just a bunch of good folks gathered around the porch at Hondo Crouch's place on a Saturday afternoon listening to folks, many of whom went on to great things, jam while hugging my honey.

That little place is now known as Luckenbach these days.
My Grandma-in-law's Kitchen (large, even by McMansion standards, the largest room in her house) was the Saturday night gathering place, guitars, a fiddle, mandolin, even a banjo or two, and despite Grandma's mild objections a bit of whiskey... Good times, though, and fond memories.

...That and on the back porch of the 'big house' when I was working on an Archaeological crew in Va.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:26:21 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 02:56:17 am »
My first show was a Grateful Dead show.
Yes, I has been a long strange trip, even if trip doesn't mean what it used to anymore.

Some standouts were the Dead circa 77
Yes, in the round, 78?
Springsteen 79
Queen 82.
Willie Nelson 99.
Stevie Ray Vaughan 89/90?

Two Tons of Steel and Asleep at the Wheel, several times, I love those two bands

Paul's Simon and Bob Dylan, same show, 2002, I think, both together, same bill.
I could actually understand and follow Dylan, with Charlie Robison on guitar.

Two that shocked me how good they were, although I like them both as writers, I had no idea how good them were live.

James Taylor, great band and great show, free tickets, to boot!

Lyle Lovett and his large band.
Every, and I mean every,  musician on the stage was top notch.
Opened up with a hard swing version of Count Basie's Tickle Toe, and I was hooked.