Author Topic: Democrat Congressman Wants to Tax and Register Squirrel Guns  (Read 712 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Democrat Congressman Wants to Tax and Register Squirrel Guns
« on: March 09, 2019, 10:31:23 pm »
NRA Explore Friday, March 8, 2019

By the standards of today’s anti-gun zealots, Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL) seems at first glance to be aiming rather low with H.R. 1263, which seeks to add to the National Firearms Act any “semiautomatic rifle or shotgun that has the capacity to accept a detachable [magazine].”

Oh, don’t get us wrong. No reasonable, freedom-loving person would try to impose such a preposterous, constitutionally-suspect burden on such a large swath of America’s firearm owners.

But unless you’re actually proposing to ban and confiscate guns, and maybe even to nuke resisters, you’re hardly at the vanguard of contemporary Democrat firearm prohibitionists.

Only last year, Deutch himself was co-sponsoring legislation to ban America’s most popular centerfire rifles.

And even now, he’s trying to ban and encourage the surrender of the types of magazines that are standard equipment on the firearms Americans commonly use to protect themselves and their homes.

So what gives? Is Ted going soft on his hatred for firearms?

Not really.

As usual, the devil is in the details.

More: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190308/democrat-congressman-wants-to-tax-and-register-squirrel-guns

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Democrat Congressman Wants to Tax and Register Squirrel Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:11:27 am »
"Squirrel Rifles"?????

What is this,the early  1800's?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:10 am »
You prefer "varmint gun/rifle"?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:09:56 am »
"Squirrel Rifles"?????

What is this,the early  1800's?
You never hunted squirrels? And yep, we used a .22. If we'd had a 10/.22 we'd have used that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:03:37 pm »
You never hunted squirrels? And yep, we used a .22. If we'd had a 10/.22 we'd have used that.

@Smokin Joe

The only guns I ever heard called "Squirrel Rifles" when I was growing up were the small caliber black powder muskets. The typical "real rifle" was 45 caliber or larger back then.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 01:08:33 pm »
@Smokin Joe

The only guns I ever heard called "Squirrel Rifles" when I was growing up were the small caliber black powder muskets. The typical "real rifle" was 45 caliber or larger back then.
@sneakypete
Jeez Pete...what are you, about 120 years old?

(I jest... :beer:)
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 01:29:14 pm »
My Squirrel Gun Pa-Pa gave me.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »
I suppose squirrel hunting was 'normal' and fun when there wasn't a grocery store nearby with a meat aisle.

It's downright pathetic to shoot/hunt those furry tailed creatures.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Shoot squirrels??    A pox on all your houses!    :cool:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 02:40:27 pm »
My kids had a pet squirrel they kept for around 5 years. Other than destroyed miniblinds, keyboards and cables, Nugget was a cute pet.

And yes, I shoot and trap squirrels. If you ever grow and then try to harvest a crop from your fruit and nut trees, you will recognize the need to reduce the quantity of squirrel thieves. I've had years where I did not do any squirrel eradication where I had zero harvest from my 4 pecan trees and 2 fig trees. They would eat some tangerines, but not as bad as the other trees.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »
My kids had a pet squirrel they kept for around 5 years. Other than destroyed miniblinds, keyboards and cables, Nugget was a cute pet.

And yes, I shoot and trap squirrels. If you ever grow and then try to harvest a crop from your fruit and nut trees, you will recognize the need to reduce the quantity of squirrel thieves. I've had years where I did not do any squirrel eradication where I had zero harvest from my 4 pecan trees and 2 fig trees. They would eat some tangerines, but not as bad as the other trees.

I dunno.

Few years ago, I was watching in horror as my grandson was taking pot-shots at the squirrels trying to get to the bird feeders.

Impulsively, I grabbed it and smashed it to bits while his father and uncle watched, mouths open.

Maybe I overreacted.    :shrug:

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 03:14:47 pm »
I suppose squirrel hunting was 'normal' and fun when there wasn't a grocery store nearby with a meat aisle.
My grandfather fed me squirrel as a boy once.  I told him it tasted terrible.  He said he thought tasted like chicken.  I told him to buy some freaking chicken...it's the cheapest meat at the grocery store.

What a waste of bullets.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 03:16:47 pm »
I dunno.

Few years ago, I was watching in horror as my grandson was taking pot-shots at the squirrels trying to get to the bird feeders.

Impulsively, I grabbed it and smashed it to bits while his father and uncle watched, mouths open.

Maybe I overreacted.    :shrug:

:laugh:

Maybe?????

How about teaching your grandson that there is a time and a place to hunt squirrels. And then find the time. Find the place. And take your grandson squirrel hunting.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 03:22:50 pm »
Maybe?????

How about teaching your grandson that there is a time and a place to hunt squirrels. And then find the time. Find the place. And take your grandson squirrel hunting.

But, THAT'S exactly what I was teaching him.  Not the hell, in front of me!!

BTW...now he's 17, and he has them eating out of his hand on the deck.

We all laugh.