Author Topic: Traffickers used Russia's World Cup to enslave us, say Nigerian women  (Read 278 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
World News
March 6, 2019
Traffickers used Russia's World Cup to enslave us, say Nigerian women
Maria Vasilyeva

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Blessing Obuson thought Russia’s soccer World Cup would be an opportunity to find a job and flew into Moscow from Nigeria last June on a fan ID. Instead, she found herself forced to work as a prostitute.

Fan IDs allowed visa-free entry to World Cup supporters with match tickets, but did not confer the right to work. Despite that, Obuson, 19, said she had hoped to work as a shop assistant to provide for her 2-year-old daughter and younger siblings back in Nigeria’s Edo state.

Instead, she said she was locked in a flat on the outskirts of Moscow and forced into sex work along with 11 other Nigerian women who were supervised by a madam, also from Nigeria.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-nigeria-sexcrimes/traffickers-used-russias-world-cup-to-enslave-us-say-nigerian-women-idUSKCN1QN1OC

Good article on sex trafficking, I believe all of the villains are those forcing them into this, other Nigerians and nothing about Russians really. I think we probably have similar situations here. Sex slavery. It's good if this main character found her freedom. She was able to tell an English-speaking client what was happening and then, soon, obtained her freedom when the police showed up. Harrowing.

Picture of her at link, I don't think the picture would transfer over.