Exclusive Content > Research

The Longest-Lasting Cars to Reach 200,000 Miles and Beyond

<< < (2/7) > >>

InHeavenThereIsNoBeer:

--- Quote from: rustynail on June 14, 2019, 11:02:51 pm ---Interesting article.  Would not have guessed the percentages were so low.

--- End quote ---

Seems a bit low, but then I don't know how many Cash for Clunkers claimed.

Also, I think their methodology is crap.  They studied only used vehicles sold in 2018, then make it sound like it's a valid sample to extrapolate to the general population of vehicles.  But could it be that most people "trade in" vehicles with much lower miles, while the people that have vehicles with over 200k miles tend to keep them longer/forever?  Or that people aren't interested in buying a used car with >200k[1]? Just because it wasn't resold in 2018 doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

[1] Actually, the guys back home who raced bomber class weren't interested in engines that didn't have at least 200k on them.  They figured by that point, any defects/irregularities in the casting of the block would have shown themselves.

truth_seeker:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 15, 2019, 02:20:52 am ---I had a 1986 Saab 900S that was well over 300K and still running fine when I sold it to my BIL because he needed a reliable vehicle.  Don't make them like that anymore.  Back then the only other thing Saab Scannia made was jet fighter aircraft for  NATO and it showed.

--- End quote ---

I would not have figured you as a Saab guy. @Bigun

I got a used 2000 9-3. Loved it. My first turbo, first front wheel drive vehicle.

Sad to see them fail.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on June 15, 2019, 02:00:28 am ---Buick. End of discussion.

They don't get broke in good till 150k.

My '98 has 290K on it right now and runs great, cheap to fix, and gets 30+ MPG on the highway.

--- End quote ---

@Free Vulcan

IMNSHO,it is a rare American car today that won't go over 200k miles with nothing more than minimal repairs. Modern oils,and computers that insure the engines are in perfect tune at every RPM range are responsible for this. Back in the old points days,your engine could only be in perfect tune at idle or wide-open throttle. Now they are in a perfect state of tune no matter where they are in the RPM band.

And don't get me started on diesel pu's. My 06 GMC 2500 4X4 has 365 hp and 665 ft lbs of torque and the 6 speed Allison auto trans,and I switched every fluid in it over to synthetic when I bought it,and it was showing 98 K miles. I once pulled 20k lbs with it from ND to Virginia several years ago,and cruised down the road at 75 mph with the cruise control on and didn't even know I was pulling anything. I am going to be shocked if I don't get at least 400 K out of it before any major mechanical repairs are needed. I have several people lined up wanting to buy it if I ever decide to sell it,AND they are offering me more than I paid for it when I bought it in 2010.  Of course,the fact that new ones like this cost more than 60 grand today and have smog control equipment that my truck never had has something to do with that. The only smog equipment mine left the factory with was an EGR valve.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on June 15, 2019, 03:58:28 am ---@Free Vulcan

IMNSHO,it is a rare American car today that won't go over 200k miles with nothing more than minimal repairs. Modern oils,and computers that insure the engines are in perfect tune at every RPM range are responsible for this. Back in the old points days,your engine could only be in perfect tune at idle or wide-open throttle. Now they are in a perfect state of tune no matter where they are in the RPM band.

And don't get me started on diesel pu's. My 06 GMC 2500 4X4 has 365 hp and 665 ft lbs of torque and the 6 speed Allison auto trans,and I switched every fluid in it over to synthetic when I bought it,and it was showing 98 K miles. I once pulled 20k lbs with it from ND to Virginia several years ago,and cruised down the road at 75 mph with the cruise control on and didn't even know I was pulling anything. I am going to be shocked if I don't get at least 400 K out of it before any major mechanical repairs are needed. I have several people lined up wanting to buy it if I ever decide to sell it,AND they are offering me more than I paid for it when I bought it in 2010.  Of course,the fact that new ones like this cost more than 60 grand today and have smog control equipment that my truck never had has something to do with that. The only smog equipment mine left the factory with was an EGR valve.

--- End quote ---
I have been running 5.7 gas GM from the late 90s, and switched them all over to synthetic oil. They get plugged in (engine heaters) below 10 above (sometimes warmer), and are always warmed up in winter before making even short hops. Three are above 200K, right now, and while the bolt-ons have been replaced, they have been good mills. I'd still take any of them to the coast (2000 miles, to the East side), and have Routinely trips of 700+ miles one way aren't unusual. I change oil and filter every 3K miles, (if it's black, it's full of abrasives, is how I see it), and keep up the routine stuff.

I think part of the problems people have is that they assume it's okay and don't check anything until an idiot light comes on or it breaks. I am shocked how few people know even the basics of how their car works, something we learned back in the days when we carried an extra point set, a match book, a condenser, and a screwdriver in the glove box at all times....

Free Vulcan:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 15, 2019, 02:20:52 am ---I had a 1986 Saab 900S that was well over 300K and still running fine when I sold it to my BIL because he needed a reliable vehicle.  Don't make them like that anymore.  Back then the only other thing Saab Scannia made was jet fighter aircraft for  NATO and it showed.

--- End quote ---

Saab made some great cars back in the day. I recall they held their trade value well because they were so reliable. I don't know what they are like today, but the old ones were legendary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version