Exclusive Content > Research

The Longest-Lasting Cars to Reach 200,000 Miles and Beyond

(1/7) > >>

Elderberry:
ISeeCars By Julie Blackley

2019 Study Shows Full-Size SUVs Dominate

Full-size SUVs are the vehicles that are most likely to reach 200,000 miles or more, according to a new study by automotive research firm and car search engine iSeeCars.com.

iSeeCars analyzed over 13.8 million cars sold in 2018 to determine which models have the highest percentage of cars that reached 200,000 miles. The top 14 models identified each have at least 2.2 percent (almost three times the overall average) of their vehicles reach that mileage and include a mix of vehicle types with nine SUVs including a hybrid, three pickup trucks, a sedan, and a minivan. 

“With the right maintenance and care, today’s vehicles have the potential to reach 200,000 miles,” said iSeeCars CEO Phong Ly. “While large SUVs and pickup trucks appear most often on the list, those looking for sedans and minivans can also find a vehicle that is proven to be a high-mileage hauler.”

Methodology

iSeeCars.com analyzed over 13.8 million pre-owned cars sold in 2018 from model years 1981 through 2018. Models that were not in production as of the 2018 model year, heavy duty-vehicles, and low-volume models were excluded from further analysis. For each model, the percentage of the number of cars with at least 200,000 miles was calculated.

Tables at Link: https://www.iseecars.com/longest-lasting-cars-2019-study

rustynail:
Interesting article.  Would not have guessed the percentages were so low.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: rustynail on June 14, 2019, 11:02:51 pm ---Interesting article.  Would not have guessed the percentages were so low.

--- End quote ---

I would. And more than that, today's vehicles are not rebuildable - they are so costly and complicated as to make rebuilding them impossible.

I have a 78 Chevy 4x4 whose mileage had rolled over at least once when I acquired it. I have personally seen it roll over once in my presence, and it is about to roll over again. There is not a single thing on it that has not been replaced at least once.

And I am about to rebuild it again. I have an early 80's body to put on her, straight as a whistle, and clean... Brand new wiring harnesses, brand new lights and electronics, new gas tanks, new brakes and brake lines... Rebuilt 3/4 T diffs, and a 5sp trans to give her overdrive... And a nice little flattop 350 sitting in the shed...

This is probably the last time. It will last me till I die.
You cannot do that on anything 96 and up.

Free Vulcan:
Buick. End of discussion.

They don't get broke in good till 150k.

My '98 has 290K on it right now and runs great, cheap to fix, and gets 30+ MPG on the highway.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on June 15, 2019, 02:00:28 am ---Buick. End of discussion.

They don't get broke in good till 150k.

My '98 has 290K on it right now and runs great, cheap to fix, and gets 30+ MPG on the highway.

--- End quote ---

I had a 1986 Saab 900S that was well over 300K and still running fine when I sold it to my BIL because he needed a reliable vehicle.  Don't make them like that anymore.  Back then the only other thing Saab Scannia made was jet fighter aircraft for  NATO and it showed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version