Author Topic: Ted Cruz still unconvinced on Trump’s emergency declaration  (Read 5531 times)

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz still unconvinced on Trump’s emergency declaration

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, one of the Senate’s most knowledgeable experts on constitutional law, remains skeptical of the merits of President Donald Trump’s emergency declaration to build a border wall, he told the Star-Telegram Tuesday.

“I am still assessing the legal authority of the arguments that the administration is putting forward,” Cruz said after a meeting with White House lawyers off the Senate chamber earlier that day.

The meeting was aimed at reassuring Republican senators, many of whom publicly urged the White House not to use an emergency declaration to pull money they’ve appropriated for government agencies to fund a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico............

.............“I emphatically agree that we have a crisis at the border and that we need to solve it, and I am grateful that the president and the administration are leading to secure the border and to build a wall,” said Cruz, who is among the Senate’s toughest border security voices.

“At the same time I’ve long said that any president, Republican or Democrat, must follow the constitution and must follow the laws,” added Cruz, a constitutional lawyer who made his career suing the federal government for overreach as Texas’ solicitor general............

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article226838224.html#storylink=cpy
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Ted Cruz still unconvinced on Trump’s emergency declaration
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:37:11 pm »
I wonder what part of the law is confusing Ted.  I wish he'd be more specific.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:41:48 pm »
I also wonder if this "we have a crisis at the border ... and I'm assessing the legality" isn't a GOP talking point.  Cruz isn't the first republican to come out of the meeting with the lawyers saying almost the same thing, word for word.

I just can't figure out what it helps.  Maybe it's to show a deliberate review rather than a knee jerk support to help bring the squishy "Rs" in the Senate on board.   :pondering:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:36:22 pm »
I also wonder if this "we have a crisis at the border ... and I'm assessing the legality" isn't a GOP talking point.  Cruz isn't the first republican to come out of the meeting with the lawyers saying almost the same thing, word for word.

I just can't figure out what it helps.  Maybe it's to show a deliberate review rather than a knee jerk support to help bring the squishy "Rs" in the Senate on board.   :pondering:

That's pretty much the way I see it as well.

I am often astounded at the degree of literalism I read in these threads.  Everyone knows (or used to know!) that politics is all about posturing, positioning, and creating perceptions.  I think that is what causes many to be mistaken about Trump; they take him too literally.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:19:17 pm »
I wonder what part of the law is confusing Ted.  I wish he'd be more specific.

@Right_in_Virginia

Hard to be more specific when you are running for a Senate seat in Texas and want to actually win re-election.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:49:48 am »
Title:
"Ted Cruz still unconvinced on Trump’s emergency declaration"

Right here is all the evidence as to why Mr. Trump is a superior president to anything Ted Cruz might ever have amounted to...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:53:55 am »
If heroin, fentanyl, meth, human trafficking, are not Emergency enough, for Cruz, I doubt anything would be.

If Pancho Villa and Santa Anna were at the borders, would Cruz be studying the lawyer political winds' directions? 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 02:56:00 am »
If heroin, fentanyl, meth, human trafficking, are not Emergency enough, for Cruz, I doubt anything would be.

If Pancho Villa and Santa Anna were at the borders, would Cruz be studying the lawyer political winds' directions?

He said it was an emergency.  He's questioning the technique.

I share your frustration.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:58:09 am by Sanguine »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 03:09:46 am »
Title:
"Ted Cruz still unconvinced on Trump’s emergency declaration"

Right here is all the evidence as to why Mr. Trump is a superior president to anything Ted Cruz might ever have amounted to...

Ted Cruz is owned by the globalists. You're damn right Trump is superior.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 03:16:52 am »
He said it was an emergency.  He's questioning the technique.

I share your frustration.

Like Cruz, Mark Levine calls himself a Constitutional Lawyer.

Unlike Cruz,Levin explained (yesterday) how and why it is entirely Constitutional.

A point Levin made today is why didn't Cruz object when Obama invoked this measure?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:19:03 am »
Ted Cruz is owned by the globalists. You're damn right Trump is superior.

Oh, @Dexter, now, that's funny!

Which globalists is it that own him?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 03:20:41 am »

Unlike Cruz,Levin explained (yesterday) how and why it is entirely Constitutional.

A point Levin made today is why didn't Cruz object when Obama invoked this measure?

Levin knows better than that.  The issue is money that has already been allocated being redirected to a different purpose after the Congress has rejected allowing it to be spent for the emergency. 

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 03:22:54 am »
Sen Cruz is a man of little to no character (evidence what he did to Ben Carson in Iowa caucus), self serving, pompous, and I can state without doubt will NEVER be POTUS.

His insincere routine is for what purpose?  As I said about Tillis on another thread, you have to be in a coma not to realize we have had a crisis on our southern border for decades.  ONLY President Trump was willing to stand up and address the issue while cowardly smucks like Cruz play moronic games.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 03:23:33 am »
Which globalists is it that own him?

Big international businesses like Koch industries and others that have ties with Ted Cruz are pushing for open borders. Billionaire libertarian business owners have incomprehensible amounts of money and power to gain from open borders. A lot of politicians on both sides are owned by these people. The Republicans are being lied to. If you don't want the globalists to win you need to stop voting for the people they fund.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:26:00 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 03:26:43 am »

I don't know Cruz's position, but just like the rest of the Conservatives, I can predict it:
It is not the declaration of emergency.
It is the denial of the House's right to the purse, and redirecting money that is otherwise allocated.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 03:36:35 am »
Sen Cruz is a man of little to no character (evidence what he did to Ben Carson in Iowa caucus), self serving, pompous, and I can state without doubt will NEVER be POTUS.

His insincere routine is for what purpose?  As I said about Tillis on another thread, you have to be in a coma not to realize we have had a crisis on our southern border for decades.  ONLY President Trump was willing to stand up and address the issue while cowardly smucks like Cruz play moronic games.

@jafo2010 you made this claim on another thread and had it resoundingly refuted.  Drop it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 03:37:44 am »
Big international businesses like Koch industries and others that have ties with Ted Cruz are pushing for open borders. Billionaire libertarian business owners have incomprehensible amounts of money and power to gain from open borders. A lot of politicians on both sides are owned by these people. The Republicans are being lied to. If you don't want the globalists to win you need to stop voting for the people they fund.

Dex, sorry, but that's idiotic.  Cruz has been one of the few advocating for a wall and term limits.  Your information is lacking.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 03:42:29 am »
Dex, sorry, but that's idiotic.  Cruz has been one of the few advocating for a wall and term limits.  Your information is lacking.

I don't trust anybody that gets funding from the globalists, simple as that. Also I don't know how anybody can even watch him speak without getting the creeps. He's very obviously a snake in the grass.
-Socrates

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 03:48:50 am »

Right. Like with Tillis and Sasse, pay no mind to their actual voting record, where the rubber meets the road - No, if they aren't in lockstep with the liberal from NYC, THAT's all that matters. What nonsense!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 03:53:45 am »
Right. Like with Tillis and Sasse, pay no mind to their actual voting record, where the rubber meets the road - No, if they aren't in lockstep with the liberal from NYC, THAT's all that matters. What nonsense!

What?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 03:54:08 am »
I don't trust anybody that gets funding from the globalists, simple as that. Also I don't know how anybody can even watch him speak without getting the creeps. He's very obviously a snake in the grass.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Dexter

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 04:03:01 am »
What?

It took me a moment to figure out what he said there.  :mauslaff:
-Socrates

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 04:31:13 am »
I don't trust anybody that gets funding from the globalists, simple as that.

You mean like Deutche Bank?

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 04:41:39 am »
What?

An attempt at sarcasm.

Lee, Cruz, Sasse, Tillis - all recognized Conservatives, principled Conservatives... Whose voting record and history prove their salt. All are receiving no end of defamation. Accusations that run directly opposite from their obvious records, by drama queens...

Cruz, Sasse, and Tillis all have come out against Tumpy on this issue. All Are questioning the legality of what he proposes to do... And it is the forthright call to suppose they have a principled reason for their opposition. Yet they are being painted as betrayers.

I mean to say that I will rely upon their records.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 04:46:51 am »
An attempt at sarcasm.

Lee, Cruz, Sasse, Tillis - all recognized Conservatives, principled Conservatives... Whose voting record and history prove their salt. All are receiving no end of defamation. Accusations that run directly opposite from their obvious records, by drama queens...

Cruz, Sasse, and Tillis all have come out against Tumpy on this issue. All Are questioning the legality of what he proposes to do... And it is the forthright call to suppose they have a principled reason for their opposition. Yet they are being painted as betrayers.

I mean to say that I will rely upon their records.

Yeah, I'm slow tonight.