Author Topic: New Republican bill would retain and retool Obamacare  (Read 2719 times)

Online corbe

New Republican bill would retain and retool Obamacare
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:00 am »
New Republican bill would retain and retool Obamacare

by Kimberly Leonard

February 25, 2019 07:09 PM

A Republican congressman is taking another swing at overhauling Obamacare even as most members of the party have set their sights on reforming other areas of healthcare.

Rep. Bruce Westerman, R-Ark., will be introducing a bill Tuesday that pulls from different healthcare bills that lawmakers have weighed in the last two years, from the failed GOP "repeal and replace" bill to the floundered Senate bipartisan Obamacare stabilization package. It also keeps a good portion of Obamacare in place and codifies healthcare provisions the Trump administration has authorized through rulemaking.

The details of the bill, known as the Fair Care Act, suggest that Westerman is trying to grapple with the reality that Obamacare is unlikely to be repealed, and looking at ways to make it more conservative. Westerman said he hopes he can bring more Republicans on board even though many of them have moved on from the issue and are focused instead on tackling healthcare costs.

"Healthcare is still a huge issue," said Westerman, who started working on the Fair Care Act one week after the Senate failed to repeal Obamacare in a dramatic late-night vote in 2017. "Just because our healthcare bill fell in that infamous vote in the Senate doesn't mean the healthcare issue has gone away."

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/new-republican-bill-would-retain-and-retool-obamacare
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline rustynail

Re: New Republican bill would retain and retool Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:47 am »
Not a dimes worth of difference.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:42:50 am »
Not a dimes worth of difference.

They're all statists, its just a matter of degree.

Things will just continue to slide until we decide we've had enough.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:43:26 am by skeeter »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:51:27 am »
Root_and_Branch.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:02:16 am »
This is good.  The dems will hate it and it will die.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:18:14 am »
Things will just continue to slide until we decide we've had enough.
I think people have had enough of the current system... otherwise Obamacare would have never been seriously considered.

(For the record, I don't see a viable solution to the system. It's a fundamental problem: too little supply, too much demand, and too many barriers to meeting the demands.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:08:07 am »
I think people have had enough of the current system... otherwise Obamacare would have never been seriously considered.

(For the record, I don't see a viable solution to the system. It's a fundamental problem: too little supply, too much demand, and too many barriers to meeting the demands.)

If you think it's bad now, wait till it's "free"!   The VA provides "free" government healthcare to eligible veterans and it SUCKS! They have about 1/100 of 1% of the clients' full-blown universal government healthcare would have!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 04:15:09 am »
The details of the bill, known as the Fair Care Act, suggest that Westerman is trying to grapple with the reality that Obamacare is unlikely to be repealed, and looking at ways to make it more conservative. Westerman said he hopes he can bring more Republicans on board even though many of them have moved on from the issue and are focused instead on tackling healthcare costs.

Strange. I thought removing the mandate, as part of the tax cut bill, had killed Obamacare. Why would this be necessary?

“When the individual mandate is being repealed, that means Obamacare is being repealed. Because they get their money from the individual mandate,” Trump told reporters during a Cabinet meeting at the White House. “Obamacare has been repealed in this bill.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/20/trump-individual-mandate-repeal-tax-bill-308286
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WalkingLiberty

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 04:21:37 am »

Strange. I thought removing the mandate, as part of the tax cut bill, had killed Obamacare. Why would this be necessary?

“When the individual mandate is being repealed, that means Obamacare is being repealed. Because they get their money from the individual mandate,” Trump told reporters during a Cabinet meeting at the White House. “Obamacare has been repealed in this bill.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/20/trump-individual-mandate-repeal-tax-bill-308286

Strange also, I received my proof of health insurance form to include with my tax paperwork for the upcoming filing.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 04:32:41 am »
Isn't this the campaign issue the GOP has been running on since 2010.  It was R&R something.  It wasn't "retain and retool?"

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:09 am »
   Resuscitate & Rename *

* stolen from another Briefer, Texan I believe.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 04:50:57 am »
If you think it's bad now, wait till it's "free"!   The VA provides "free" government healthcare to eligible veterans and it SUCKS! They have about 1/100 of 1% of the clients' full-blown universal government healthcare would have!
"Indian Health" is no better.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:59 pm »
"Indian Health" is no better.

I'm sure!  And if they can't handle that, how in the hell does anyone think they are going to handle ALL of us?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:19:31 pm »

The solution is plain to see. It's that the government would never agree to implement it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »

It never was seriously considered by the people.  It was rammed down our throats by the Dems who didn't give anyone a say in what they were doing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 04:04:08 pm »
It never was seriously considered by the people.  It was rammed down our throats by the Dems who didn't give anyone a say in what they were doing.

The good old ‘deem and pass’ maneuver the GOP used with regularity in the early 2000s came back to bite hard, after Dems took control.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:04:41 pm by edpc »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 04:05:15 pm »

The good old ‘deem and pass’ maneuver the GOP used with regularity in the early 2000s came back to bite hard, after Dems took control.

It sure did.  And the bait and switch Harry Reid pulled in the senate didn't help matters much either.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 04:47:36 pm »
Easiest way to end Obamacare is to sue on the basis that Democrats violated long established policies to vote with a simple majority in the Senate.

And if that does not work, then again use the simple majority to remove it.  If they can change Senate policy to establish it, they can change Senate policy to end it.  But doing anything like we have done in the past is not the solution.  If you want viable healthcare in America, it must be designed by folks who know how to cut cost in healthcare, and not by the same usual suspects of stakeholders that have had a self interest through the decades.

I could create a system that cost one third less and provide healthcare for all Americans.  The solution is NOT having the government pay for it all.  That is the mindlessness of the Democommies.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:48:44 pm by jafo2010 »

Online LMAO

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 04:53:54 pm »
Isn't this the campaign issue the GOP has been running on since 2010.  It was R&R something.  It wasn't "retain and retool?"

@Once-Ler

goopo
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 05:12:06 pm »
Yet it's telling that most veterans use the VA because it's preferable to the commercial health care system, which sucks just as bad.

The whole system is broken.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 05:32:22 pm »
Yet it's telling that most veterans use the VA because it's preferable to the commercial health care system, which sucks just as bad.

No, in many cases, they were largely restricted to using VA facilities. It’s only been within the past couple years they had more flexibility.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-signs-bill-helping-vets-get-access-to-private-medical-care

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 05:46:57 pm »

Veterans use the VA because they have no choice for the most part.

They want more options which is why allowing them to be treated at civilian hospitals while still being covered by their VA medical plan is something the vets have been clamoring for.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 06:45:14 pm »
Root_and_Branch.

IKR? 

We all knew McConnell was lying through his teeth when he said that.   9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
Veterans use the VA because they have no choice for the most part.

They want more options which is why allowing them to be treated at civilian hospitals while still being covered by their VA medical plan is something the vets have been clamoring for.

I understand that vouchers are happening for Vets that live away from population centers with VA hospitals, but it's denied to the vast majority of Vets living inside an hour's drive away.  McStain's handiwork.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:48:13 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 06:52:38 pm »

No, in many cases, they were largely restricted to using VA facilities. It’s only been within the past couple years they had more flexibility.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-signs-bill-helping-vets-get-access-to-private-medical-care

At first glance, that story is missing some flexibility.  Vouchers so a Vet can see a private Dr.  All the bill in the article seems to do is create more government facilities, which in turns denies more Vets that option.
I will NOT comply.