Author Topic: Colorado governor will sign bill aimed at bypassing electoral college  (Read 668 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Colorado governor will sign bill aimed at bypassing electoral college
By Reid Wilson - 02/25/19 11:19 AM EST

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) will sign a measure to award his state’s electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote, moving a country-wide coalition one step closer to circumventing the electoral college.

In an interview Sunday, Polis called the electoral college an “undemocratic relic” of the nation’s past, one he wants to see relegated to the dustbin of history.

“I’ve long supported electing the president by who gets the most votes,” Polis told The Hill. “It’s a way to move towards direct election of the president.”

Colorado will become the 12th state to join the National Popular Vote interstate compact. Those 12 states and the District of Columbia, which has also passed a popular vote bill, account for 172 electoral votes, just under 98 shy of the 270 votes a presidential candidate needs to win the White House.

The compact will not go into effect until the coalition includes states that add up to 270 electoral votes or more. Once it does go into effect, states that are part of the coalition would award their electoral votes en masse to the candidate who wins the national popular vote.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/431425-colorado-governor-will-sign-bill-aimed-at-bypassing-electoral-college
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Colorado governor will sign bill aimed at bypassing electoral college
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:41:46 pm »
The Electoral College is in the Constitution. Good luck getting the required number of states for an amendment.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 06:43:48 pm »
The compact will not go into effect until the coalition includes states that add up to 270 electoral votes or more. Once it does go into effect, states that are part of the coalition would award their electoral votes en masse to the candidate who wins the national popular vote.

Would this be legal?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 06:49:48 pm »
One thing is certain if "National Popular Vote Interstate Compact" ever reaches the 270 electoral vote threshold the signing compact states control...it is going to the SCOTUS.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 06:50:12 pm »

Would this be legal?
Only if Congress approves it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 07:14:54 pm »
The Electoral College is in the Constitution. Good luck getting the required number of states for an amendment.

They know an amendment will never pass...that's why they are doing this end run around the constitution.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 07:21:59 pm »
I can't remember which Article/Section of the Constitution it's in...but there is wording in there to the effect that states can't do what they are attempting to do with this compact.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 07:24:02 pm »
I can't remember which Article/Section of the Constitution it's in...but there is wording in there to the effect that states can't do what they are attempting to do with this compact.

I looked it up but closed the window....

Okay Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the U.S. Constitution, which requires each state legislature to define a method to appoint its electors to vote in the Electoral College.

Or

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:26:17 pm by The Ghost »

Online Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:29:50 pm »
OR

Article I, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution states that: "No State shall, without the Consent of Congress ... enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 07:32:08 pm »
OR

Article I, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution states that: "No State shall, without the Consent of Congress ... enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power

BINGO!  That's the one I read.