General Category > Economy/Business

(Auto) AFFORDABILITY: THE NEXT FRONTIER.

<< < (5/5)

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on February 19, 2019, 03:12:17 am ---@Elderberry
There's something where you can take the front of a NP203 and bolt it to the back of a 205... Called a doubler... The rock hounds around here do it...

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

That might be fun... And with that, a guy could come up to road gears in the diffs without sacrificing anything offroad or pulling...

I really want to try it out just to try it. :)

--- End quote ---

That's interesting for sure. Reminds me of a neighbor I had back in the 70's. He was in his 80's and as a much younger man who grew up on the Mississippi. For a while, he had a contract to clear debris out of the river. He had 2 HD auto trans in his boat. They were inline with one mounted backwards so he had as many gears in reverse as forward. He could pull coming and going.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on February 19, 2019, 03:28:47 am ---That's interesting for sure. Reminds me of a neighbor I had back in the 70's. He was in his 80's and as a much younger man who grew up on the Mississippi. For a while, he had a contract to clear debris out of the river. He had 2 HD auto trans in his boat. They were inline with one mounted backwards so he had as many gears in reverse as forward. He could pull coming and going.

--- End quote ---

Well, it's about bass ackwards from a drop gear overdrive (which is my intention)... It is basically a drop-gear reduction... That's why the rock crawlers love em... 94:1 low range plus a 4:1 reduction makes for a seriously low crawl...

But say you went with a 33/35/37" tire against, say, a 3:73 gear... That's super tall gears by the time that's done - You'd have to use low in the tranny just to get her moving... So it would sail down the highway, maybe just as good as with an OD...

But then say, you want you slip off onto the gravel or up into the woods... Just kick in the drop gear and you get a 4:1 reduction, and you are right back in the 4's somewhere...

That's nice. So you get a 2wd Hi/Lo BEFORE the transfer case... So even for backing up trailers and such, or hauling a heavy load...

I dunno. Just looks like fun.

As for the boat, yeah, that's something.  Not a boat guy myself... other than party barges, john boats and canoes/kayaks  :shrug: But pulling stuff in water is a whole 'nother universe... That would be fun to figure out.

thackney:

--- Quote from: The Ghost on February 18, 2019, 11:34:32 pm ---(Auto) AFFORDABILITY: THE NEXT FRONTIER.

--- End quote ---

Make that the past frontier:

Jazzhead:
I think the danger lies in the substitution of lease deals for purchases.   And when those leased cars and trucks come off lease, they're on the market at a third or less of a new vehicles.

I used to buy new cars - the last time I did so was 14 years ago,  when I saw a Chrysler 300C in the color I wanted on a transport truck in the dealer's lot.  I bought it right off the truck.   Still have it, and still love it!

But every vehicle I've bought since has been an off-lease vehicle,  or even older.  Both my sister and I needed SUVs in the past year or so, and both of us did the exact same thing -  found 7-year old vehicles that stickered for over $50,000 when new for $15,000 with between 60,000 and 70,000 miles on 'em.   It no longer makes sense to buy rigs like these new.   

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Jazzhead on February 19, 2019, 02:11:42 pm ---I think the danger lies in the substitution of lease deals for purchases.   And when those leased cars and trucks come off lease, they're on the market at a third or less of a new vehicles.

I used to buy new cars - the last time I did so was 14 years ago,  when I saw a Chrysler 300C in the color I wanted on a transport truck in the dealer's lot.  I bought it right off the truck.   Still have it, and still love it!

But every vehicle I've bought since has been an off-lease vehicle,  or even older.  Both my sister and I needed SUVs in the past year or so, and both of us did the exact same thing -  found 7-year old vehicles that stickered for over $50,000 when new for $15,000 with between 60,000 and 70,000 miles on 'em.   It no longer makes sense to buy rigs like these new.

--- End quote ---
Right. We shop estate sales, rental  company sales (similar to off-lease). The estate auctions can have some good vehicles cheap, with a lot of miles left on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version