Author Topic: Several states to join California lawsuit against Trump’s border emergency declaration  (Read 1781 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Several states to join California lawsuit against Trump’s border emergency declaration
By Justin Wise - 02/18/19 09:24 AM EST

Several states will reportedly be joining a lawsuit California is preparing to file against the Trump administration over the president's move to declare a national emergency to get funding for his proposed border wall.

The states include New Mexico, Oregon, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii and Connecticut, according to CBS News. A spokesperson for Colorado attorney general Phil Weiser told KDVR, a local news affiliate, said that Colorado would also be joining the suit.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D) and Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) have already announced plans to sue President Trump over the emergency declaration.

Becerra said Sunday that a lawsuit from the state was imminent.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/430454-several-states-to-join-california-lawsuit-against-trumps-national
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Well isn't that sad.  The President set us all up for failure.  First he signs the bill giving amnesty and aid to drug cartel and illegal immigrants in the country.  He placed limits on where the wall can be built.  Obviously New Mexico is a popular crossing place.  I have seen plenty of articles that say so.  But New Mexico is one suing so obviously they are going to say no to the wall.  Then he Declares an Emergency but at the same time says he didn't have to do it.  It didn't go without notice as noted in the article.  I don't know the other billions of reasons the article refers to.  Had the President declared and not signed he would have been saying to Congress 1.4 billion was not enough.

Just saying.  The President sabotaged the wall.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:34:40 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Mesaclone

Well isn't that sad.  The President set us all up for failure.  First he signs the bill giving amnesty and aid to drug cartel and illegal immigrants in the country.  He placed limits on where the wall can be built.  Obviously New Mexico is a popular crossing place.  I have seen plenty of articles that say so.  But New Mexico is one suing so obviously they are going to say no to the wall.  Then he Declares an Emergency but at the same time says he didn't have to do it.  It didn't go without notice as noted in the article.  I don't know the other billions of reasons the article refers to.  Had the President declared and not signed he would have been saying to Congress 1.4 billion was not enough.

That's a ludicrous statement. He sabotaged nothing and has taken the only possible remaining path towards building the wall. Had he shut the government down again, you'd be looking at a strongly Democratic House, Senate and White House in 2020...so only a true moron would have gone that route. It would feel good for a moment to shut it all down...and the cost would be a complete Dem takeover of the government...who would want such a thing?

Its odd that you blame the one person fighting his ass off to get the wall built...odd and foolish. Without President Trump...who fights for the wall and champions border security? The Republican party? Senate Republicans? The GOP in the House?  Get real. There are people who support the president in this fight...in the Senate and House...but not enough to make real legislation. Thus, he is doing what he must to get the wall built...any other GOP/Conservative president would simply give up. Our man fights on...a true pugilist...and yet you and others come here and blame him. Just plain ridiculous.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mesaclone

As for the legal fight to build the wall...read this from Constitutional expert Jonathan Turley...who is clear that the President will easily win his case at the Supreme Court level (if not in some of the lower...activist style courts).

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/430335-why-trump-will-win-the-wall-fight

Democrats insist Trump can be challenged on his use of emergency authority since they do not believe an emergency exists on the southern border. They will fail spectacularly if the case gets to the Supreme Court. While the source of funding can be challenged, there is no compelling basis to challenge the national emergency declaration.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Only one of those new states even has standing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Only one of those new states even has standing.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how a border wall effects Minnesota or New Jersey or Connecticut much less Hawaii.

:pondering:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how a border wall effects Minnesota or New Jersey or Connecticut much less Hawaii.

Fewer Democrat voters of course!  :whistle:
The Republic is lost.

Offline Victoria33

@txradioguy

I believe the law suit is about Trump can't use an emergency declaration when there is no emergency.  That situation would involve all states.  The courts must define what is an emergency.

To know what is going to happen, read this from an attorney, in Texas, who specializes in eminent domain.  This will answer all questions:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/declaring-national-emergency-fund-trump-s-border-wall-may-be-ncna966586

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:35:10 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

There is a legal school of thought that says only the four border states have legal standing.

Offline Mesaclone

@txradioguy

I believe the law suit is about Trump can't use an emergency declaration when there is no emergency.  That situation would involve all states.  The courts must define what is an emergency.

To know what is going to happen, read this from an attorney, in Texas, who specializes in eminent domain.  This will answer all questions:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/declaring-national-emergency-fund-trump-s-border-wall-may-be-ncna966586

Turley defines exactly why this kind of characterization is completely wrong. Congress 1976 Emergency Act gives president's carte blanche to determine what IS a national emergency...the only mechanism in the law to rebuke that is via a 2/3rds vote of both houses (to overturn an assumed veto). As such, the Supreme Court will yield to both the law as laid out by congress, and the long standing custom of President's defining what qualifies as an emergency. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:55:06 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline RetBobbyMI

What standing does Oregon, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii, Connecticut and Colorado have? They are not border states and are not affected by the funding reprogramming. California and New Mexico might be border states, but like everything related to protecting our borders is a federal responsibility, not the states.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That's a ludicrous statement. He sabotaged nothing and has taken the only possible remaining path towards building the wall. Had he shut the government down again, you'd be looking at a strongly Democratic House, Senate and White House in 2020...so only a true moron would have gone that route. It would feel good for a moment to shut it all down...and the cost would be a complete Dem takeover of the government...who would want such a thing?

Its odd that you blame the one person fighting his ass off to get the wall built...odd and foolish. Without President Trump...who fights for the wall and champions border security? The Republican party? Senate Republicans? The GOP in the House?  Get real. There are people who support the president in this fight...in the Senate and House...but not enough to make real legislation. Thus, he is doing what he must to get the wall built...any other GOP/Conservative president would simply give up. Our man fights on...a true pugilist...and yet you and others come here and blame him. Just plain ridiculous.

Amen, as usual, @Mesaclone   but that kind of weird thinking is all too typical of that lady, along with some other equally confused Briefers.  Those people claim to want a wall ... at least some of them do, but take every opportunity to snipe and nit pick at the one person who is determined to get one.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Hawaii has sharks for that ... and a few in our legislature as well.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

You'd think Colorado would be for the wall, considering reducing the sub rosa influx of marijuana would mean enhanced ability to tax sales. At last stats I saw, about 50% of the sales in state were not taxed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You'd think Colorado would be for the wall, considering reducing the sub rosa influx of marijuana would mean enhanced ability to tax sales. At last stats I saw, about 50% of the sales in state were not taxed.

The Liberals took over this last election cycle.  None of that matters.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
As for the legal fight to build the wall...read this from Constitutional expert Jonathan Turley...who is clear that the President will easily win his case at the Supreme Court level (if not in some of the lower...activist style courts).

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/430335-why-trump-will-win-the-wall-fight

Democrats insist Trump can be challenged on his use of emergency authority since they do not believe an emergency exists on the southern border. They will fail spectacularly if the case gets to the Supreme Court. While the source of funding can be challenged, there is no compelling basis to challenge the national emergency declaration.

Regardless of what the 'experts' say, the only say that matters are the courts and if it goes to SCOTUS the final ruling of the justices.

Don't expect this issue to be resolved overnight, and possibly not by the 2020 elections.  Which brings me back to my original point in my other posts; Trump should have made this issue in the first six months of his presidency.  He should have pushed then and perhaps by now this issue would have been resolved and certainly much better chances under a majority in both Houses.

If this isn't resolved by 2020, don't ever expect to see a wall and certainly don't expect the GOP to hold onto the House, Senate or the Oval office.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

When the guy says "I didn't have to do this," at the press conference announcing a National Emergency...it's really hard not to draw that conclusion.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
What standing do Oregon, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii and Connecticut have in the construction of a barrier on their southern borders?

EDIT:
I shoulda read some of the above responses before I posted!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:24:14 am by Fishrrman »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
What standing do Oregon, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii and Connecticut have in the construction of a barrier on their southern borders?

EDIT:

@Fishrrman

You mean besides Democrat AG's who ran on shutting down the Trump agenda?

Bill Cipher

EDIT:

They will lose money for the military installations in their states because of Trumps actions.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

What standing does Oregon, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii, Connecticut and Colorado have? They are not border states and are not affected by the funding reprogramming. California and New Mexico might be border states, but like everything related to protecting our borders is a federal responsibility, not the states.

They would be affected if the money spent on the wall that was appropriated for other items would have been spent in their state.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
14 other states to right now.  So unfortunate that we had a chance for an Article V Convention of States when most of the legislatures were conservative. That ship has now sailed.  I don't see a whole lot of hope for saving this Republic.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-california-sue-trump-in-ninth-circuit-over-emergency-declaration
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

@Chosen Daughter do you have link(s) to reference?  Thanks. 

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Don't need Moderators here.

What we Need are Hall Monitors.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com