Author Topic: Trump blows up his best legal defense of the border wall national emergency  (Read 534 times)

Online corbe

Trump blows up his best legal defense of the border wall national emergency

by Tiana Lowe

February 15, 2019 11:51 AM

In a freewheeling speech delivered entirely off-teleprompter, President Trump announced the inevitable end to this border wall shutdown showdown: the declaration of a national emergency.

But Trump just as well admitted, this is not a national emergency.

"I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this, but I'd rather do this much faster," Trump said during his Rose Garden rant.

Somewhere in a White House office, the president's counsel is breathing into a bag and cracking open a bottle of bourbon.
In saying the quiet part out loud, Trump has single-handedly offered the dozens of legal teams preparing their lawsuits against the president the greatest gift he could give them. Even though Trump may have the objective legal right to declare a national emergency, admitting that he's unnecessarily doing so just to expedite the process of building the wall (or slats, or fences, or whatever semantics you so desire) will without a doubt be used against him.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/trump-blows-up-his-best-legal-defense-of-the-border-wall-national-emergency
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Rivergirl

Sounded like a toddler.   Others did it toooooooooooo.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sounds like something Donny Deutsch would pen.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GrouchoTex

Even though Trump may have the objective legal right to declare a national emergency, admitting that he's unnecessarily doing so just to expedite the process of building the wall (or slats, or fences, or whatever semantics you so desire) will without a doubt be used against him.

Whoops.
i wished he hadn't done that.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:13:05 pm »
by Tiana Lowe
 | February 15, 2019 11:51 AM

In a freewheeling speech delivered entirely off-teleprompter, President Trump announced the inevitable end to this border wall shutdown showdown: the declaration of a national emergency.

But Trump just as well admitted, this is not a national emergency.

"I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this, but I'd rather do this much faster," Trump said during his Rose Garden rant.

Somewhere in a White House office, the president's counsel is breathing into a bag and cracking open a bottle of bourbon.

In saying the quiet part out loud, Trump has single-handedly offered the dozens of legal teams preparing their lawsuits against the president the greatest gift he could give them. Even though Trump may have the objective legal right to declare a national emergency, admitting that he's unnecessarily doing so just to expedite the process of building the wall (or slats, or fences, or whatever semantics you so desire) will without a doubt be used against him.

Trump's best defense for mobilizing wall construction under the grounds of a national emergency was the establishment of intent: pointing to actual Department of Homeland Security statistics and human costs of unfettered illegal immigration to invoke emergency powers under the constitutional rationale that he's suppressing an insurrection. Congress has failed to clearly define the scope and circumstances required to declare a national emergency, so Trump had legal leeway to make the case that the situation at parts of the southern border presents an immediate danger.

Ann Coulter
✔
@AnnCoulter

No, the goal of a national emergency is for Trump to scam the stupidest people in his base for 2 more years.

Daniel Horowitz @RMConservative

The goal of a national emergency is to end illegal immigration and cartel smuggling. Building 100-200 miles of fencing gradually will not do it. With this new amnesty,they UACs will come anywhere including points of entry and not only get amnesty for themselves but for those here

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/trump-blows-up-his-best-legal-defense-of-the-border-wall-national-emergency
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:13:38 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MOD8

Merged topics.

Offline Absalom

The intent of this matter; to prohibit third world trash from crossing our borders, is very positive.
Yet Trump, incapable of self-discipline and reflection, will not control his infantile impulses.
Instead he chooses to stand before the msm, exchanging insults as they urinate on each other.
Watch the feckless republicrat losers, one by one, drift away from him as days become months.