Author Topic: Senate confirms Trump pick William Barr as new attorney general  (Read 495 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate confirms Trump pick William Barr as new attorney general
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:01 pm »
Senate confirms Trump pick William Barr as new attorney general
By Jordain Carney - 02/14/19 01:09 PM EST

The Senate voted Thursday to approve William Barr as attorney general, giving the Justice Department its first confirmed chief since President Trump ousted Jeff Sessions last fall.

Senators voted 54-45 for Barr’s nomination, capping off a relatively low-drama fight over Trump’s second pick for the post. Barr was largely on a glide path after he cleared the Judiciary Committee and a procedural vote without any missteps that threatened GOP support for his nomination.

Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.) was the only Republican who voted against Barr on Thursday, while Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Doug Jones (Ala.) and Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) broke with their party and supported him.

Democrats have 47 seats in the Senate. With Manchin, Jones and Sinema voting earlier in the week to advance Barr’s nomination, Democrats would have needed to flip six Republicans in addition to Paul to sink his nomination.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/430025-senate-confirms-trump-pick-william-barr-as-new-attorney-general
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Senate confirms Trump pick William Barr as new attorney general
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:01:26 pm »
There wasn't anything about him that was disqualifying. However, it's a really weird appointment for this president. He's been good friends with Mueller for decades. He authored a report calling for more incarceration in the early 90s. Just seems odd for an admin so opposed to the SC and one that pushed for criminal justice reform. I wonder who was behind the recommendation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:03:01 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:35:27 pm »
There wasn't anything about him that was disqualifying. However, it's a really weird appointment for this president. He's been good friends with Mueller for decades. He authored a report calling for more incarceration in the early 90s. Just seems odd for an admin so opposed to the SC and one that pushed for criminal justice reform. I wonder who was behind the recommendation.

Hopefully not the same person who recommended Rosenstein.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:46:18 pm »
Hopefully not the same person who recommended Rosenstein.

I don’t know who that was, exactly, but Giuliani admitted to recommending Sessions.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »
Senate Confirms Gun-Confiscating, Swamp Creature William Barr For Attorney General

Freedom Outpost

https://freedomoutpost.com/senate-confirms-gun-confiscating-swamp-creature-william-barr-for-attorney-general/

Like I told you before, any chance of the real criminals in government being prosecuted is simply not going to happen, and with the Senate's latest swamp creature being confirmed to the post of Attorney General, it only proves my point.  Hillary Clinton will not be prosecuted as you were promised by President Donald Trump and on top of that, William Barr totally ignores your rights when it comes to guns, among many other things.

William Barr served previously as Attorney General under President George H.W. Bush from 1991-1993.

While hearings for the position took place in 1991, Barr said:

On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think … I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included … very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms…

Barr endorsed both the Brady Check portion of the Brady Bill and the semi-auto ban, although he did express a preference for magazine bans: “I would prefer a limitation on the clip [sic] size.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if, during the hearings, Barr defends his past support for gun control by reiterating what he said in 1991.

That is, he supported firearms restrictions as part of a grand bargain to get several “tough on crime” provisions.

But that excuse is not going to fly with the pro-gun community. Because our rights are protected by the Constitution and they can’t be bargained away or negotiated.

Barr might also say his support for gun control was “pre-Heller” — as if that really makes a difference.

If that is Barr’s excuse, then that just means Barr believes that outlawing a large category of firearms is “okey-dokey” if it’s alright with the Supreme Court.

What does this mean for Americans?  I can tell you that a perfect storm is setting itself up with Democrats wanting to advance criminally unconstitutional universal background checks, which are unenforceable without a national gun registry, and red flag laws that President Donald Trump supports, and now there is an AG in office who is more than willing to act like a good little brown shirt and "follow orders," but not follow the Constitution.

You've been warned.

More at link.