Author Topic: At arm’s length: are tattoos finally becoming uncool?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
At arm’s length: are tattoos finally becoming uncool?
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:00:53 am »

The Guardian
Adam Gabbatt
Wed 13 Feb 2019

There were two significant moments in the tattooing world last week. First, Adam Levine, of the curiously popular band Maroon 5, took his top off during the Super Bowl, revealing to the world a sprawling collection of ink. Then Justin Bieber stripped off for an US Vogue cover shoot with Hailey Baldwin, tattoos visible in every shot, his artwork more the focus than the clothes Vogue had dressed him in. Rarely do tattoos appear so prominently on the front of such a prestigious fashion magazine. Bieber’s tattoos making a rare centre-stage appearance on the cover of Vogue should earn sleeves extra kudos – but has it?

Some are wondering if tattoos have finally gone mainstream, jumped the shark (one of Levine’s tattoos is actually of a shark), or even become uncool. But of course, people have been wondering this for years. Decades, even.

“You can go back to 1880, and even probably beforehand,” says Dr Matt Lodder, a tattoo expert and lecturer in art history at the University of Essex, “and there are articles about ‘Now tattoos are middle class’, or ‘Shock horror, women are getting tattoos now’, or whatever it may be.”

Lodder, whose exhibition British Tattoo Art Revealed is touring the UK, adds that while “more people are getting tattoos than ever”, another reason they seem more common is that in 2019 we all have the freedom to show more skin than in, say, the 1950s. “If your bank manager had a tattoo, you’d never see it,” Lodder says. “Now, we’re much more comfortable about showing skin and rolling up sleeves.”

But as someone who has tattoos, I felt distinctly uncomfortable seeing Levine prancing about topless during the Super Bowl. Seeing him held up, in front of hundreds of millions of viewers, as the example of a tattooed man is like your boss declaring they, too, went to that niche music festival, or someone you dislike declaring they are also into that obscure sitcom. He’s ruining it for the rest of us.

(more)
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/feb/13/at-arms-length-are-tattoos-finally-becoming-uncool
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: At arm’s length: are tattoos finally becoming uncool?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:18:29 am »
I don't know about becoming more or less popular, but to me, they are just ugly. Nothing beats what God made IMHO... especially on women.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:20:09 am »
To each their own, but I just never saw anything I wanted to wear that long.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:46 am »
I'm not a fan. Whenever I see heavily tattooed young women, I can't help but wonder what they're going to look like when they're pushing 80.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:05:45 pm »
I'm not a fan. Whenever I see heavily tattooed young women, I can't help but wonder what they're going to look like when they're pushing 80.
"bLeEpInG fAbUlOuS!" they'll reply.

This is a group of people who can never be convinced they are wrong, once they get an idea in their head.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:43 pm »
A recurring nightmare of mine. I wake up covered in tattoos.

The thought of tattoos all over my glorious naked body... it would be like wearing the same ugly outfit day, after day, after day. Make it stop! But, it won’t. It’s permanent baby.

Tattoos, in today’s context, is like a spreading societal madness reflecting a strange need to return to a kind of primitive tribalism.

That, or somehow evolution got shifted into reverse.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
"bLeEpInG fAbUlOuS!" they'll reply.

This is a group of people who can never be convinced they are wrong, once they get an idea in their head.
Agreed. Fabulously sagging, too!

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 03:52:12 pm »
Can't stand tattoos. I remember an article about a woman who had a flaming devil skull tattooed on her breast. When she gave birth she had to have it covered up. Every time her infant saw it, the baby would start screaming.

Neck tattoos, face tattoos, and tattoos on the back of the hand are particularly off-putting. When a person like this talks to me, I don't remember what they say or what they are wearing or anything about them. All I see when I hear the name is that stupid tattoo. It is burned in my brain. Getting a tattoo like this is just declaring young, 'I never intend to have a job of any significance!'

When you get colored tattoos covering both arms, especially women, that will effect your wardrobe. You have just limited yourself to a few colors for the rest of your life.

Read an article about a young woman who covered her back, among other body parts, with horrible satanic themed colored tattoos. When she tried to buy a wedding dress she had to buy what was basically a white burka, because the tattoos were directly clashing with almost all the wedding dresses she tried. Kind of hard to wear a backless White wedding dress with a depiction of Satan looking at the congregation from your back.

I think tattoos in Western countries are a form of self-mutilation. It is a form of self-hate. Primitive tribes have tattoos to represent specific things, such as coming into puberty, getting married, rank in the tribe, or accomplishments in battle, etc. This is understandable for their culture.

Primitive people don't get tattoos of daffy duck, childish random misspelled poorly drawn doodles, or Justin Bieber. There are still people out there with Milli Vanilli tattoos. Girl you know it's true. Never get a tattoo of some passing fad. Some people don't seem to comprehend what forever means.

I have no tattoo and never will. People I hang with do not have tattoos and not on purpose. It is a mindset. Tattoo people live and think a certain way and tend to hang-out with each other. The opposite is true as well.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:53:39 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 03:53:13 pm »
Probably, since even grandmas are lining up to get them.

I never felt the desire for one.  Looking at some of the women who’re covered in ink, with fat rolls hanging out of too-short tops and exposed bra straps, I can’t imagine why, but there it is.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:14 pm »
Probably, since even grandmas are lining up to get them.

I never felt the desire for one.  Looking at some of the women who’re covered in ink, with fat rolls hanging out of too-short tops and exposed bra straps, I can’t imagine why, but there it is.

Told my kids over & over - one day people will consider those who didn't succumb to the tattoo trend free thinkers & those who did be paying thru the nose to have their marks removed.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 04:01:38 pm »

As you age you lose some of the collagen under your skin so that’s why elderly people have different skin than old people. Now imagine getting a tattoo in your 20s, and that artwork being stuck on aging skin. I’ve talked to a few veterans from World War II  throughout my life who got tattoos while in the military but as they got older regretted it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 04:03:02 pm »
Told my kids over & over - one day people will consider those who didn't succumb to the tattoo trend free thinkers & those who did be paying thru the nose to have their marks removed.

Lol, yep.  And now tattoo shops  are all over the place, even in nice shopping centers.  Watch them start to close up.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 04:17:56 pm »
Being "plus sized" just means more room for tats! Woo hoo.

She could have the likenesses of the entire NY Giants roster tatted on that arm, with room for the water boy.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 04:25:28 pm »
I was told more than 20 years ago that a good investment would be a tattoo removal business. Even back then, level headed people knew that eventually the tattoo craze would end, and people will do anything to get rid of them.

When I was in the military, we had this guy who would get his current girlfriend's name tattooed on his left arm. The list was six names long. He had his own form of tattoo removal. He would buy a steel scrubbing pad and simply rub the tattoo out. It was incredibly painful, dangerous, and it left a brutal scar. But it did work. If you can muscle through the horror of it.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
I was told more than 20 years ago that a good investment would be a tattoo removal business. Even back then, level headed people knew that eventually the tattoo craze would end, and people will do anything to get rid of them.

When I was in the military, we had this guy who would get his current girlfriend's name tattooed on his left arm. The list was six names long. He had his own form of tattoo removal. He would buy a steel scrubbing pad and simply rub the tattoo out. It was incredibly painful, dangerous, and it left a brutal scar. But it did work. If you can muscle through the horror of it.

Yikes I think your old friend may have had other issues.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 04:41:27 pm »
Yikes I think your old friend may have had other issues.
We all did.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 04:44:21 pm »
They are becoming normal and mainstream so to hipsters, that makes them uncool. But they certainty aren't going out of fashion. Just the opposite.at the latest convention I was at, you had everyone from all walks of life there. It is no longer the area for just bikers and rockers. It is becoming a serious accepted art.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 04:56:46 pm »
I don't know about becoming more or less popular, but to me, they are just ugly. Nothing beats what God made IMHO... especially on women.
The man I worked for also employed his two son in laws, they approached him one day and told him they needed pay increases because they just couldn't get by on what they got. They thought they had him because of his daughters he wouldn't refuse, what they didn't expect was when he not only refused he told them that obviously they had more money than they needed and would be just fine if they quit spending it on ink for their arms. I don't think most people don't realize how expensive tattoos are.

As a matter of fact a year after my former employers construction business went belly up he started a new business selling high end tattoo ink, it's quite profitable.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:22 pm »
When you get colored tattoos covering both arms, especially women, that will effect your wardrobe. You have just limited yourself to a few colors for the rest of your life.

Something about color tattoos they don't tell you:  The lighter the color, the more difficult to remove with a laser.  The laser relies on a dark pigment to absorb the photons, and yellow, being the lightest, is almost impossible to laser off.  The only alternative is a cover tattoo.

I used to use a microscope laser to cut metal lines on Integrated Circuits back in my old job, and they were the most difficult feature to cut because of their reflectivity. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 05:05:56 pm »
The man I worked for also employed his two son in laws, they approached him one day and told him they needed pay increases because they just couldn't get by on what they got. They thought they had him because of his daughters he wouldn't refuse, what they didn't expect was when he not only refused he told them that obviously they had more money than they needed and would be just fine if they quit spending it on ink for their arms. I don't think most people don't realize how expensive tattoos are.

As a matter of fact a year after my former employers construction business went belly up he started a new business selling high end tattoo ink, it's quite profitable.

Tats are expensive, while the ink is a small part of that cost.  What's expensive is the labor.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
Being "plus sized" just means more room for tats! Woo hoo.

She could have the likenesses of the entire NY Giants roster tatted on that arm, with room for the water boy.

................................why

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:08 pm »
I love the collection of framed art I display on my walls. But, even I change them out from time to time. Tattoos? Oops.

What I can’t understand is the thought processes of those who hadn’t grasped people gain wisdom and grow as a person as they age – they often evolve a different perspective on who they believe themselves to be. But, load up on tattoos and on first sight it screams, “I’m an idiot – a stagnant, selfish, immature idiot!” ...and I’m here about that job offer.

A walking billboard for I have poor judgment and foresight.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:00:55 am by aligncare »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 07:03:02 pm »
As you age you lose some of the collagen under your skin so that’s why elderly people have different skin than old people. Now imagine getting a tattoo in your 20s, and that artwork being stuck on aging skin. I’ve talked to a few veterans from World War II  throughout my life who got tattoos while in the military but as they got older regretted it
Not a few veterans I know got them as a symbol of unit/branch pride, but a couple of others got them to make it easier to identify them (or their parts) if things went wrong. In that context, I can see it. The only one I considered was a maltese cross shield from my old fire department, but that was long enough ago I didn't. Despite peer pressure to advertise for Harley-Davidson, I just said they aren't going to pay me to be a billboard, or offer any discount for parts, so screw it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 07:14:40 pm »
Somehow,  a simple USMC tattoo (or similar emblem of military service) is infinitely more acceptable to me - and who am I to judge?  - than movie characters, unintelligible Asian letters, pictures of food,  random alleged Maori symbols, and the like. Call me a snob,  I don't care.   :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 07:38:31 pm »
To each their own, but I just never saw anything I wanted to wear that long.

More luck than sense... I remember being drunk as hell, sitting in the tatt parlor ready to get a gal's name wrote on me... Thankfully, even in my drunken and love struck stupor, I could calculate that same sort of thing you said, and left off of it.

Not a single tat. About the only foolish thing I didn't do.