Author Topic: Millennials prefer music from 20th century ‘golden age’ to the pop of today, research suggests  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Research has suggested that modern music really isn’t as good as the old classics. A study has found that golden oldies stick in millennials’ minds far more than the relatively bland, homogenous pop of today. A golden age of popular music lasted from the 1960s to the 1990s, academics claimed. Songs from this era proved to be much more memorable than tunes released in the 21st century....

Well known examples included ‘When a Man Loves a Woman’ by Percy Sledge (1966), ‘Baby Come Back’ by Player (1977) and ‘The Tide is High’ by Blondie (1980). Others, including ‘Knock Three Times’ by Dawn (1970), ‘I’m Sorry’ by John Denver (1975) and ‘Truly’ by Lionel Richie (1982) were all but forgotten....

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/07/millennials-prefer-music-20th-century-golden-age-pop-today-research-reveals-8462993/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

We know this to be true.

:headbang: ***guitar man**** ****drummer
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:11:51 pm by Sanguine »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The songs of that era really do seem to be a golden age... it really does seem a proper expression to say, "something was in the air", because it does seem that way. A lot of diverse music.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:14:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline aligncare

We know this to be true.

:headbang: ***guitar man**** ****drummer

Without a doubt.

To my ears, the pop music of today sounds horrid, whiny. Rap and hip hop has been the dominant influence for too long; it’s old, stale, been done to death. Not even Lady Gaga, with her broad vocal skills can fill the creative vacuum. Can’t wait for a musical Renaissance of some kind.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It just proves Millennials mightily suck at making music so they have to steel our memorable and great music.  The poser generation.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Without a doubt.

To my ears, the pop music of today sounds horrid, whiny. Rap and hip hop has been the dominant influence for too long; it’s old, stale, been done to death. Not even Lady Gaga, with her broad vocal skills can fill the creative vacuum. Can’t wait for a musical Renaissance of some kind.

Even LGaGa, Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, and a few others that went popular in the early part of the decade haven't done much in 5 or more years.

What I hear now is generally so insipid it's unlistenable. Most of it is also drenched in leftist intersectional dogma. It's like listening to old corny pro-commie stuff from the old regimes.
The Republic is lost.

Online Polly Ticks

It just proves Millennials mightily suck at making music so they have to steel our memorable and great music.  The poser generation.

We should be so lucky.  I'd rather they steal our music than have to listen to the questionable "music" produced by most of the current generation of entertainers.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Even LGaGa, Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, and a few others that went popular in the early part of the decade haven't done much in 5 or more years.

What I hear now is generally so insipid it's unlistenable. Most of it is also drenched in leftist intersectional dogma. It's like listening to old corny pro-commie stuff from the old regimes.

Good description.  That's exactly what it sounds like.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
We should be so lucky.  I'd rather they steal our music than have to listen to the questionable "music" produced by most of the current generation of entertainers.

True.  It was showcased for all to hear at the SB half time.  They called it Suckapoloosa.

Online Polly Ticks

True.  It was showcased for all to hear at the SB half time.  They called it Suckapoloosa.

And they had to bleep it out twice.
 *****rollingeyes*****
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline RoosGirl

Baby Come Back by Player?  Gag me with a spoon!

Offline Frank Cannon

Eff you. That's a Yacht Rock classic!!!!

Offline RoosGirl

Eff you. That's a Yacht Rock classic!!!!

The finally inquiry report on this incident specifically lists Baby Come Back as directly contributing to the deaths of all passengers.

Online Wingnut

The finally inquiry report on this incident specifically lists Baby Come Back as directly contributing to the deaths of all passengers.

Bless this ship, and all who sail on her. I christen thee The Flying WASP.

Offline berdie

Well, today's popular music is kind  of dull. That's my opinion. I tried to keep up...but it just wasn't working for me.

Why would the younger kids not listen to the parents music? I still listen to Big Band, classical and show tunes that my folks listened to. In the way back machine, there were variety shows that dominated television. That was also a good way to learn new music that stuck with you all your life. Que Sera, Sera I guess.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Well known examples included ‘When a Man Loves a Woman’ by Percy Sledge...

Just so happens I put this very song to download in the 60s thread last night... What are the odds...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL @The Ghost and @RoosGirl you both receive a Top Notch.

Now for some music!!!!!!

Sorry...

Online pookie18

• TBR Contributor

May have gotten it confused with this one from the 60s ;-)

Sorry...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I remember, right around the year 2000 or so, the entire music industry went to crap. About that time, the industry—revenge for Napster, perhaps—began to force a lot of angry and/or trashy rappers onto the world. There's been a few songs that I've enjoyed here and there (I do like Outkast, and they were pretty popular in the early 2000s). And it wasn't just pop and hip-hop: country started going overboard with the formulaic music in the mid-2000s, and in Christian music, Chris Tomlin pretty much wrecked that genre singlehandedly.

A few caveats, though:
1. There's still good music being made. It's just that with so much of it being made, and with so little talent in terms of A&R, a lot of it is getting buried and harder to find.

2. There have been a lot of crappy songs in the past, too. The 1980s, for example: when they said "video killed the radio star," they were not kidding! Synthpop makes me gag, and it annoys me that it's overtaking what used to be the "oldies" stations.

3. If you think about it, though, so much of the 20th century was a golden age for songwriting and performing that is going to be difficult to beat. The 40s and early 50s gave us big band ballads, the rise of the blues, and Western swing, the first truly mainstream country sound. The mid-50s gave us rock and roll and some good harmony music with doo-wop (the late 50s was kind of a doldrum), the 60s gave us great sunshine pop, polished soul music into an art form, and fleshed out rock into something new and glorious, and the 70s gave us some of the best songwriting seen before or since.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Grandkids have preferred 60s-70s-80s Rock and roll and country to the new stuff, even though they listen to the Rap crap too. They like doo-wop, too. Rap all sounds the same. Mother-this and kill-that. ick.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

We do need to apologize to the millennial for one thing tho.   Disco.  Of course the "wokes" say if you hate disco you are both homophobic and a racist because disco emerged out of black, gay clubs in Chicago and New York.  I guess you can't hate anything today because of its lack of intrinsic value, like   the over use of drum machines, synthesisers and other gimmicks employed to produce a disco hit, all at the expense of musical values.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:15:40 pm by The Ghost »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We do need to apologize to the millennial for one thing tho.   Disco.  Of course the "wokes" say if you hate disco you are both homophobic and a racist because disco emerged out of black, gay clubs in Chicago and New York.  I guess you can't hate anything today because of its lack of intrinsic value because of the over use of drum machines, synthesisers and other gimmicks employed to produce a disco hit all at the expense of musical values.
Oh, like rap, only with a melody (and people could dance to it).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Listening to Ken Burns' Country music documentary, which I heard misses the music of the most recent 25years.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Absalom

To each, his own opinion but descriptives such as "golden age" and "classic", are
way beyond hysterical.
What is categorized as modern music is nothing but noise at the max decibel level.
The 19th century produced the last of any serious classical music. Reality!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I’m not a millennial but I agree. I like Sinatra and he was way before my time
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️