Author Topic: Virginia attorney general admits to wearing blackface at 1980 college party  (Read 2481 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Virginia attorney general admits to wearing blackface at 1980 college party
By Dan Merica, CNN

Updated 12:33 PM ET, Wed February 6, 2019

Richmond, Virginia (CNN)Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring admitted Wednesday that he appeared in blackface at a 1980 party, further plunging Richmond into chaos as Democrats here struggle to overcome a trio of scandals rocking their three top statewide elected officials.

Herring said Wednesday that he wore blackface as a 19-year-old to dress up as a rapper at a party. The admission comes days after the Virginia Democrat called on Gov. Ralph Northam to resign after he admitted a racist photo in his medical school yearbook featured him, a charge Northam later denied.

"In 1980, when I was a 19-year-old undergraduate in college, some friends suggested we attend a party dressed like rappers we listened to at the time, like Kurtis Blow, and perform a song," Herring said in a statement. "It sounds ridiculous even now writing it. But because of our ignorance and glib attitudes -- and because we did not have an appreciation for the experiences and perspectives of others -- we dressed up and put on wigs and brown makeup."

He added: "This was a onetime occurrence and I accept full responsibility for my conduct. That conduct clearly shows that, as a young man, I had a callous and inexcusable lack of awareness and insensitivity to the pain my behavior could inflict on others. It was really a minimization of both people of color, and a minimization of a horrific history I knew well even then."

more
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/politics/virginia-attorney-general-blackface/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

I must confess that When I was about 22 years old, and before we were married my wife and I dressed up as Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. It was callous and Dollist of me and I regret my actions to this day. We have both attended sensitivity training about this to over come our obvious bias and disdain for people of cloth.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"In 1980, when I was a 19-year-old undergraduate in college, some friends suggested we attend a party dressed like rappers we listened to at the time, like Kurtis Blow, and perform a song," Herring said in a statement.

These are the breaks.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is insane.

Blazing Saddles, anyone?    :pop41:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I dressed up like the Kingfish one year.  On Old Time Radio I loved his schemes to get rich by duping his brothers in the Mystic Knights of the Sea Lodge.  Classic stuff. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

In 1982, I laughed hysterically, when inner city Baltimore residents made lemonade out of dish detergent. I guess I’m racist.

On July 15, 1982 the Maryland Poison Control Center in Baltimore reported that 33 adults and 46 children had consumed a brand new lemon-scented dishwashing liquid named Sunlight.

https://uselessinformation.org/1188-2/

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I work with the family member of a House Delegate here in Va. Everyone in Richmond is just completely baffled by all this.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Frank Cannon

The VA AG at a recent press conference.....

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Virginia's new state seal

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

He is getting out in front of it, unlike the sinking governor.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

Re: Virginia attorney general admits to wearing blackface at 1980 college party
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:59 am »
He is getting out in front of it, unlike the sinking governor.

How do you get out in front of a run away train/

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 03:44:03 am »
How do you get out in front of a run away train/
You have a point.  He believes it is stoppable by him, so he might be delusional.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 04:04:27 am »
Good grief, liberals having to lie in the bed they made...

Listen around that time I dressed up as a girl/woman/SheThing for a church Halloween party. Glad no pictures survive of it cause I am sure I made a pretty ugly girl. All I remember is I plotted down and man spread one time and my mother knocked my knees together so hard it made my head swim. I was ticked she did this, and thought it was my dumbest costume decision ever. Will I apologize for dressing up like this way back when? Heck no, it was innocent.

Do I feel bad for this liberal AG? Not really, again this is the stupid PC crap they invented and they can choke in it for all I care. Jerks drowning in their own quagmire.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 04:07:33 am »
You have a point.  He believes it is stoppable by him, so he might be delusional.

Don't stop him now

Sorry...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 04:14:52 am »
I dressed up like the Kingfish one year.  On Old Time Radio I loved his schemes to get rich by duping his brothers in the Mystic Knights of the Sea Lodge.  Classic stuff.

Wha? Do you wear a Racoon Coat when you drive around in your Stutz Bearcat?

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 04:21:54 am »
Wha? Do you wear a Racoon Coat when you drive around in your Stutz Bearcat?

I only have a coonskin hat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:34 am »
I only have a coonskin hat.

Those are all the rage in Ol' Virginie these days.

Offline verga

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 10:49:12 am »
I must also confess that when I was in the Army there were several occasions that I wore Camo makeup. Since this was well after the draft in an all volunteer Army I did it of my own volition.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:21 pm »
The same people who cry "you're not allowed to tell people not to be offended by blackface" also cry "you're not allowed to be offended by Colin Kaepernick."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 03:42:11 pm »
I must also confess that when I was in the Army there were several occasions that I wore Camo makeup. Since this was well after the draft in an all volunteer Army I did it of my own volition.

Now that you disclosed that you can expect to lose your plant base.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:02 pm »
Slight thread hijack, but I don’t know where to ask this.

We had on the TV this morning before my husband went to work—- local news morning show.  They announced that they’d looked through Mark Herring’s yearbook and found someone else who wore blackface—now a practicing plastic surgeon.  They made his name public and showed the building he works in.

Am I the only one who thinks outing a private citizen like that is beyond the pale? 
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:42 pm »
Slight thread hijack, but I don’t know where to ask this.

We had on the TV this morning before my husband went to work—- local news morning show.  They announced that they’d looked through Mark Herring’s yearbook and found someone else who wore blackface—now a practicing plastic surgeon.  They made his name public and showed the building he works in.

Am I the only one who thinks outing a private citizen like that is beyond the pale?

It is and people usually sue and win cases like this.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 04:14:26 pm »
It is and people usually sue and win cases like this.

May the force be with him.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »
Every person who has ever worn a mud mask should apologize.

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 04:20:58 pm »
Soon we will be banning dark tan suntan lotion.

Guess you are a racist if you appear darker than you should be.