Author Topic: Rep. Steve Scalise: Democrats don't want you to hear what I have to say about guns and the Second Am  (Read 626 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fox News by Rep. Steve Scalise 2/6/2019

Rep. Steve Scalise: Democrats don't want you to hear what I have to say about guns and the Second Amendment

Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing Wednesday on new gun control legislation Democrats plan to push on the American people. The top Republican on the committee, Doug Collins, R-Ga., asked committee Democrats if I could testify about this legislation in an appropriate setting to offer another perspective as both a survivor of a shooting attack and strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. But the Democrats said no. While liberals may try to silence conservative voices, I will not be silenced. The American people deserve to hear all perspectives. Here is the testimony I planned to give:

Statement for the Record

Republican Whip Steve Scalise

House Committee on the Judiciary

February 6, 2019

My name is Steve Scalise. I am the Congressman for Louisiana’s 1st District. I am the Republican Whip. I am also a target of gun violence.

Many of you may be familiar with the events of June 14, 2017. Around 7:00 AM, at the last morning practice before the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity, an Illinois man named James Hodgkinson opened fire on myself and a group of Republican legislators and volunteers on an Alexandria, Va. baseball field.

REP. STEVE SCALISE: ‘PLEASE GOD, LET ME SEE MY FAMILY AGAIN’ – WHAT WENT THROUGH MY MIND THE DAY I WAS SHOT

Fortunately, as a member of House leadership, I was accompanied by my Capitol Police security detail who were able to return fire and engage the shooter until additional law enforcement officers arrived and ultimately took down the shooter. I was shot and nearly fatally wounded, and both of my detail agents were shot as well. I am alive today thanks to the bravery of U.S. Capitol Police and the Alexandria Police, heroes like Congressman Brad Wenstrup and the first responders who rushed to the scene, the incredible medical team at Washington MedStar Hospital Center, and most importantly the grace of God.

I applaud the intentions behind this hearing and believe we are all pursuing the same goal of reducing gun violence. As someone who experienced gun violence, I do not want anyone else to go through that trauma. However, it is also important to me that we be honest with ourselves and the American people about what will -- or won’t -- actually prevent these tragedies. The shooter who targeted me that morning was armed with an SKS rifle and a 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun, both of which were purchased in compliance with Illinois gun laws.

The new gun control restrictions currently being considered by the Democratic majority in H.R. 8 would not have prevented my shooting.

In fact, these new gun control measures being proposed in H.R. 8 would not have prevented any number of recent mass violence events. Several perpetrators of recent multi-victim shootings also purchased their guns legally. In some instances, the background check system failed, and lack of intervention from law enforcement failed to intercept potential threats.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/rep-steve-scalise-democrats-dont-want-you-to-hear-what-i-have-to-say-about-guns-and-the-second-amendment

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
He's correct.  I hope he gets his voice out.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Can't have a Republican pointing out it was a Liberal nut job who was pulling the trigger that day.

It would ruin the Progressive narrative on guns.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

rangerrebew

Liberals don't want people to see ANYTHING that differs from what they believe or hope is true.  I say that since they are quite opposed to dealing in facts.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:22:29 pm by rangerrebew »