Author Topic: U.S. Nixing Landmark Arms Control Treaty With Russia  (Read 475 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
U.S. Nixing Landmark Arms Control Treaty With Russia
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:22:08 pm »
The U.S. is backing out of a nuclear arms treaty with Russia, the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Friday morning.  The Trump administration argues that Russia isn't keeping up its end of the bargain of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) arms treaty, which was has been a key component of European security since the Cold War.

"For far too long, Russia has violated the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty with impunity, covertly developing and fielding a prohibited missile system that poses a direct threat to our allies and troops abroad," a statement from President Trump said. "The United States will suspend its obligations under the INF Treaty and begin the process of withdrawing from the INF Treaty, which will be completed in six months unless Russia comes back into compliance by destroying all of its violating missiles, launchers, and associated equipment."

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/us-backing-out-of-nuclear-arms-control-treaty-with-russia/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: U.S. Nixing Landmark Arms Control Treaty With Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:23:09 pm »
They won’t care, since they’ve been skirting it for years. The only way our withdrawl really matters is if we start producing our own intermediate range systems.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: U.S. Nixing Landmark Arms Control Treaty With Russia
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:32:12 pm »
They won’t care, since they’ve been skirting it for years. The only way our withdrawl really matters is if we start producing our own intermediate range systems.

But, we must not allow... a mine shaft gap!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.