Author Topic: How to Save the Aircraft Carrier from Becoming Obsolete (Like a Battleship)  (Read 393 times)

rangerrebew

January 29, 2019

How to Save the Aircraft Carrier from Becoming Obsolete (Like a Battleship)

Can they evolve?
by Sidharth Kaushal

Key point: It may be then that the carrier is not being rendered obsolete but is evolving (or regressing) into the role that interwar strategists had in mind for it—a platform geared towards spotting and perhaps providing fighter cover for a twenty-first century variant of the battleship.

One of the great conceits of admirals in the interwar years was their dogmatic embrace of the nostrum that battleships won naval wars. Officers such as those of the Imperial Japanese navy proved particularly susceptible to this dogma, a thought process that found itself manifested in so called super battleships such as the IJN Yamato, which one Japanese commentator ranked alongside the pyramids and the great wall of China as one of history’s great white elephants. Indeed, even after British carrier borne aircraft had demonstrated their value against the Italian navy at Taranto and Japan’s own carrier wing had achieved a spectacular tactical success at Pearl Harbor, Japanese admirals held firm to the view that the sheer firepower of a battleship would be the decisive arm of any navy.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/how-save-aircraft-carrier-becoming-obsolete-battleship-42757

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If they're going to become obsolete, then I doubt there's much that could be done to prevent that from happening.

I'd reckon that this obsolescence will result from increasing vulnerability due to high-tech missile technology that will become harder and harder against which to defend...

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion