Author Topic: Forty-Three Republican Senators Vote to Rebuke Donald Trump's Plans to Withdraw From Syria and Afgha  (Read 1102 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Forty-Three Republican Senators Vote to Rebuke Donald Trump's Plans to Withdraw From Syria and Afghanistan
By Tom O'Connor On 1/31/19 at 6:40 PM

President Donald Trump's plans for a timely withdrawal from conflicts in Afghanistan and Syria were opposed in a vote held Thursday by the GOP-controlled Senate.

The Senate, where Trump's Republican Party enjoys a 53-47 majority, voted 68-23 to forward an amendment cautioning against any "precipitous withdrawal" from Afghanistan, where the U.S has long struggled to support local government forces against an ultraconservative Taliban insurgency, and from Syria, where a U.S.-led coalition has all but defeated the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in a campaign opposed by the Syrian government and its international allies. Forty-three Republican senators voted against the president's position.

The amendment warns that ISIS and Al-Qaeda, which were present in both countries, presented "a global threat that merits increased international contributions to the counterterrorism, diplomatic and stabilization efforts underway in Syria and Afghanistan."

Read more at: https://www.newsweek.com/trump-withdraw-syria-afghanistan-republicans-senate-1314083

Except for this and that with Mattis, maybe McMasters too, I've really appreciated most of what Trump has done and some of the stuff, I'd call even great. It won't be easy to bring North Korea to heel, these are big problems.

Offline skeeter

Maybe each senator should submit their own foreign policy platform, hire their own secretary of state and start calling themselves Senator/Commander-in-Chief.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:07:10 am by skeeter »

Online rustynail

Offline TomSea

War Pigs.

Oh really? Abandon our allies who beat ISIS? They did the dirty work of beating the worse terror force in modern history, they meaning the Kurds and CHRISTIANS, they shed their blood and we gave them air support and we abandon them?

The Christians over there never asked for Bush to invade Iraq and then, for Obama to withdraw troops from Iraq that has put Christianity in these parts of the Middle East which has been there since right after Christ nearly to extinction. That's not the American way.

Maybe you like Putin or something.

This is the way they voted

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00013

So, when 10,000 Kurds and Christians were killed.... fighting an enemy that arose after American intervention in that area, we abandon them? Sheesh.

By the way, we are in Syria for the long run anyway per Trump and the Military in al Tanf to watch for what the Iranians do.  I'd find it more valuable to see the situation stabilized, not be like an idiot like Obama did and withdraw.

Get a clue people, not to RN necessarily, learn what is going on.

Cruz, Nay, 

Menendez, Yeah

If there were warpigs, try 2011 or try 2003 but don't pin this on that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If you're curious, here are the votes: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00013

Alexander (R-TN), Not Voting
Baldwin (D-WI), Nay
Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
Bennet (D-CO), Yea
Blackburn (R-TN), Yea
Blumenthal (D-CT), Yea
Blunt (R-MO), Not Voting
Booker (D-NJ), Nay
Boozman (R-AR), Yea
Braun (R-IN), Yea
Brown (D-OH), Not Voting
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Capito (R-WV), Yea
Cardin (D-MD), Nay
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Cassidy (R-LA), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Coons (D-DE), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Cortez Masto (D-NV), Yea
Cotton (R-AR), Yea
Cramer (R-ND), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
Cruz (R-TX), Nay
Daines (R-MT), Yea
Duckworth (D-IL), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Not Voting
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Ernst (R-IA), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Fischer (R-NE), Yea
Gardner (R-CO), Yea
Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Harris (D-CA), Nay
Hassan (D-NH), Yea
Hawley (R-MO), Yea
Heinrich (D-NM), Nay
Hirono (D-HI), Nay
Hoeven (R-ND), Yea
Hyde-Smith (R-MS), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Isakson (R-GA), Not Voting
Johnson (R-WI), Yea
Jones (D-AL), Yea
Kaine (D-VA), Yea
Kennedy (R-LA), Nay
King (I-ME), Yea
Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay
Lankford (R-OK), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Lee (R-UT), Nay
Manchin (D-WV), Yea
Markey (D-MA), Nay
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
McSally (R-AZ), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
Merkley (D-OR), Nay
Moran (R-KS), Not Voting
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murphy (D-CT), Nay
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Paul (R-KY), Not Voting
Perdue (R-GA), Not Voting
Peters (D-MI), Yea
Portman (R-OH), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Risch (R-ID), Yea
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Romney (R-UT), Yea
Rosen (D-NV), Yea
Rounds (R-SD), Yea
Rubio (R-FL), Yea
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Sasse (R-NE), Yea
Schatz (D-HI), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Nay
Scott (R-FL), Yea
Scott (R-SC), Yea
Shaheen (D-NH), Yea
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Sinema (D-AZ), Yea
Smith (D-MN), Nay
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Sullivan (R-AK), Not Voting
Tester (D-MT), Yea
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Tillis (R-NC), Yea
Toomey (R-PA), Yea
Udall (D-NM), Nay
Van Hollen (D-MD), Nay
Warner (D-VA), Yea
Warren (D-MA), Nay
Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
Wicker (R-MS), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Nay
Young (R-IN), Yea

Offline TomSea

The situation is similar to what Iraq was in 2011(?), largely secured, little risk to our troops. These guys are, a lot of them are advisors, of that nature.  There really should not be that much risk to our own soldiers as was the situation back in Iraq.

Offline TomSea

23 no votes, 68 for, easily, most of those are the Democrats. 23 too, is a rather small number for a vote like this. This means a lot of Democrats, maybe most still voted Yea, I see Feinstein voted Yea. I'd call it lopsided.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

So, they should get with Pelosi and actually declare two wars.  Absent this, they've had their say and now they need to get on with their actual job.

Offline Frank Cannon

All these jackasses have two things in common. No son fighting on the front lines and they are all on Lockheed Martins payroll.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The situation is similar to what Iraq was in 2011(?), largely secured, little risk to our troops. These guys are, a lot of them are advisors, of that nature.  There really should not be that much risk to our own soldiers as was the situation back in Iraq.
ANY American dying in these muslim religious wars is one too many, time to pull them out, bring them home and let these mongrels go back to killing themselves............period! No matter how much money, no matter how many American lives we sacrifice to the barbarians nothing will change until one side is completely eradicated.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
War Pigs.
Ah, sounds of my youth, memories are made of this!

Sorry...

Offline dfwgator

All these jackasses have two things in common. No son fighting on the front lines and they are all on Lockheed Martins payroll.

"It ain't me/It ain't me/I ain't no Senator's son....."

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Absalom

Lord Palmerston wisely asserted, "Great Nations have neither allies nor friends; they simply have interests"; a concept we steadfastly adhered to until Weenie Wilson insisted we must save the
world for democracy by entering the Great War, which was none of our dam business.
Since then our foreign policy has been driven by piety and sanctimony rather than practical reality and the results have been gross incompetence and extravagance.
We are both self sufficient as well as a net exporter of oil and gas, having little need of the Middle
East and its neuroses; fomented by 13 centuries of militant Islam.
As for the GOP assholery, they are less less relevant than a cinder block.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:43:11 am by Absalom »