Author Topic: Analysis: Why the US Senate’s anti-BDS bill matters even if it never becomes law (Dems who voted for  (Read 421 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This is a complex matter, however, I thought it was interesting to see the names of the Democrats who voted essentially for BDS (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions against Israel). Harris voted for it, she's been billed as being pro-Israel before. No Menendez which seems to indicate,  on international affairs, he's rather astute. Booker voted for it.  More Democratic radicalism. Barely anyone decent in that party.

Here are the 22 Dems who support BDS. Only a few surprises.

https://twitter.com/JGreenbergSez/status/1090378171139215362

Analysis: Why the US Senate’s anti-BDS bill matters even if it never becomes law
i24NEWS

Following the longest government shutdown in United States history, the new Senate’s first legislative priority -- which includes a measure countering the political and economic boycott of Israel -- has sparked a heated debate between Israel advocates and detractors who see the proposed law as a threat to freedom of speech.

The Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act of 2019, or S.1, has garnered support from nearly all Republicans and about half of Senate Democrats, with several prominent Democratic lawmakers opposing the bill on grounds that its final subsection dealing with the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel threatens the constitutionally-guaranteed right to freedom of speech.

Initially introduced by Senate Republicans, the purpose of the Combating BDS Act (CBA) is to provide legal cover for state governments to avoid dealings with entities supporting the economic boycott of Israel and uphold existing anti-BDS legislation.

Read more at: https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/americas/194258-190130-analysis-why-the-us-senate-s-anti-bds-bill-matters-even-if-it-never-becomes-law

Reading that last quoted paragraph, this does seem a bit more complicated than I thought. "...to provide legal cover for State governments..."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:58:57 am by TomSea »