Author Topic: ‘No veteran should be buried alone’: Texas cemetery asks public to attend Air Force veteran’s funer  (Read 716 times)

rangerrebew

‘No veteran should be buried alone’: Texas cemetery asks public to attend Air Force veteran’s funeral
Posted 9:50 pm, January 26, 2019, by Natasha Anderson, Updated at 10:02PM, January 26, 2019

KILLEEN, Texas — A Texas cemetery has asked the public to attend the funeral of an Air Force veteran after it appeared that no one was expected to attend.

The Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery made the request Thursday, on Facebook.

“We have the distinct honor to provide a full military burial for unaccompanied United States Air Force Veteran Joseph Walker on Monday, January 28, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. at Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery. If you have the opportunity, please come out and attend. We do NOT leave Veterans behind,” the post read.

https://military.einnews.com/article/474828470/Fp-fOolHqJ-TnOcs?lcf=EYrTUjaZJ_J0inTq1VD-eA%3D%3D

Offline ConstitutionRose

Mark to check on this later.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good update:

Thousands answer call to attend 'unaccompanied' Air Force vet's Texas funeral

Thousands of strangers responded to an urgent appeal to attend Monday's funeral for an Air Force veteran from Texas.

The Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery in Killeen appealed for supporters to attend the funeral of “unaccompanied” veteran Joseph Walker in a Facebook post that went viral over the weekend.

“We are overwhelmed at all this love and support. We do NOT leave Veterans behind,” the cemetery wrote on Facebook after the service....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/thousands-respond-to-call-to-attend-unaccompanied-air-force-vets-texas-funeral

I wish I'd known in time; I would have gone.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Happy there was a big turnout. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Good update:

Are you near Killeen.  My son was stationed there twice.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Are you near Killeen.  My son was stationed there twice.

Somewhat.  In Texas terms anyway.

Both of my brothers were there too.

Online Polly Ticks

Good update:

Awesome!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

Good update:

Considering it's Texas, I was gonna say that cemetery better corner all the porta-potties they can find after that request... And it seems I was right about that, as expected.  :beer:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:16:46 pm by roamer_1 »