Author Topic: Ryan Crocker: The Taliban Will ‘Retake the Country’  (Read 519 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ryan Crocker: The Taliban Will ‘Retake the Country’
Michael Hirsh

Foreign Policy: What’s your reaction to the news that U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has reached a tentative framework agreement with the Taliban?

Ryan Crocker: I think the concerns are pretty clear. Thus far the Afghan government has not even been at the table. And that is of course a core Taliban condition, but it delegitimizes the government. The Taliban don’t recognize the government. They won’t deal with it. So whatever guarantees we think we’ve got, the outcome, I’m afraid, is going to be sadly different. If we withdraw as we’re talking about in an 18-month timeline, you will simply see the Taliban move in and retake the country.

FP: The New York Times report indicated that the United States is still requesting that the Afghan government be made party to the talks, and that issue was left hanging. Do you think the Trump administration will stand firm?

RC: That’s a great point. Zal Khalilzad I think is making a huge effort, but I would guess he’s very constrained by the current administration. I have no access to sensitive information from the administration. That’s a surmise on my part, but the president has made it pretty clear publicly he wants out. So I don’t think we’re going to see the time and focus on longer-term consequences.

Read more at: https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/01/28/ryan-crocker-the-taliban-will-retake-the-country-afghanistan-deal/

Offline dfwgator

Re: Ryan Crocker: The Taliban Will ‘Retake the Country’
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:21:28 pm »

Might as well beat the crowds to the Embassy.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:35:29 pm »
Nuke it from space.  It really is the only way to be sure.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:52:08 am »
Let the taliban have it.
A fitting sh**hole for them.