Author Topic: Duke official steps down after telling students to speak English  (Read 1188 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Duke official steps down after telling students to speak English
The academic said in an email that two faculty members were "disappointed that these students were not taking the opportunity to improve their English."

Jan. 27, 2019, 1:09 AM CST
By Dennis Romero

The director of graduate studies for a Duke University School of Medicine department stepped down Saturday after screenshots of an email reported to be from her circulated on social media, suggesting students refrain from speaking Chinese to "improve their English."

"I encourage you to commit to using English 100 percent of the time" on campus or in professional settings, the email states.

Medical school dean Mary E. Klotman apologized to her students for the email, sent out by Megan Neely, director of the Master of Biostatics Program.

"Dr. Neely has asked to step down as director of graduate studies for the master’s program effective immediately," Klotman said in a letter.

Neely's email, verified with a Duke spokesman by the campus newspaper, the Chronicle, said that two faculty members approached Neely to express disappointment that first-year students were speaking Chinese in student study and lounge areas.

"They were disappointed that these students were not taking the opportunity to improve their English and were being so impolite as to have a conversation that not everyone on the floor could understand," the email reads.

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/duke-official-steps-down-after-telling-students-speak-english-n963236
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Re: Duke official steps down after telling students to speak English
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 11:42:57 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:48:07 pm »
Sum ting wong with her being flyed like rice for saying that... 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:24:26 am »
It's not shocking that she said what she did. At least, not to me.

It is that she would feel pressure to vacate her position after saying as much.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 01:22:47 pm »
PC demands Special 'More Equal Than Equal Under Law' Rights for everyone.

It's inescapable concomitant is the Balkanization of society.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 01:30:50 pm »
No ticky, no laundry!

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 02:25:33 pm »
Her e-mail was a perfectly reasonable attempt to help the Chinese students succeed.  (English is the language of the medical field.)  That she was pressured to step down is the unreasonable thing.  I guess they don't want the Chinese students to succeed.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 02:32:00 pm »
Her e-mail was a perfectly reasonable attempt to help the Chinese students succeed.  (English is the language of the medical field.)  That she was pressured to step down is the unreasonable thing.  I guess they don't want the Chinese students to succeed.

She was also advocating a common method for becoming fluid in a non-native language.

My high school Spanish-3 teacher would allow only us to speak in Spanish once we crossed the threshold of her classroom. In retrospect, I guess we probably should have sued her or demanded her resignation.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 02:40:08 pm »

This is where I get confused. If English is the language of the medical field, why is it all Greek to me?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:49 pm »
This is where I get confused. If English is the language of the medical field, why is it all Greek to me?

Opa!

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »

Always remember Fred that drugs with a name starting in the letter X, Y, or Z sell better, as looking more scientific.

And if drug companies spent as much time researching their drugs as they did investigating X Y and Z the drugs themselves might actually Work.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 02:48:42 pm »

I get that!  Had a MRI done last week and they provided the results in the MyChart app.  Big "greek" words.  Looked them up on the internet and got more big "greek" words.  Called my son for an explanation in words I could understand. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 05:37:04 pm »
So called elite universities like Duke, Harvard, et al., are a joke.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 01:33:54 pm »
So the Doctor went quietly in the night without a whimper.

If they suggested she shoot herself, would she? Seems the
answer is yes.

There needs to be a Stand Your Ground response rather
than suicide.

Here I thought it took courage, dedication and perseverance to
take a degree. I would force a firing for all to see that Duke
is just a harasser of women.

:)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:34:53 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

rangerrebew

Duke Professor Steps Down After Asking Chinese Students to Speak English
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »
Duke Professor Steps Down After Asking Chinese Students to Speak English

The Associated Press

28 Jan 2019662

A professor at Duke University has stepped down from an administrative role after an email in which she asked Chinese students to speak English went viral online.

According to a report from Insider Higher Ed, Duke University Professor Megan Neely has stepped down from her position as the Director of Graduate Studies after an email she sent to Duke graduate students went viral online.

In the email, Neely said that there are “unintended consequences” for students who are speaking Chinese in campus buildings.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/01/28/duke-professor-steps-down-after-asking-chinese-students-to-speak-english/

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 01:41:09 pm »
So called elite universities like Duke, Harvard, et al., are a joke.

You spelled "effete" wrong Mountian.