Author Topic: Trump's surrender on the State of the Union makes it even less likely Pelosi will give in on border  (Read 470 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump's surrender on the State of the Union makes it even less likely Pelosi will give in on border wall
by Philip Klein
 | January 24, 2019 12:26 PM

President Trump's decision Thursday morning to surrender to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's demand that he wait until after the government shutdown is resolved to deliver his State of the Union speech in the House chamber is going to make it a lot less likely that Pelosi gives in on the funding for a border wall.

Sure, in the larger scheme of things, this childish skirmish doesn't matter much. No lives are going to be affected by whether the date of a speech is on Jan. 29 on some other time. But in an ongoing negotiation with no real movement, any standoff is going to become a proxy battle.

In this case, Pelosi's petulant action of rescinding her invitation to the State of the Union was an effort to flex her muscles. Trump responded, first, by canceling a Congressional delegation's overseas trip, and then sending a letter on Wednesday signaling he was going to show up anyway, widely seen as an attempt to force her hand. But Pelosi didn't flinch -- she has the power to block a resolution calling a joint session of Congress, and was willing to use it. Instead of trying to call her bluff by showing up, and forcing her to shut off the lights on him, or delivering the speech an an alternate venue, he instead announced he was completely capitulating.

As Mark Levin noted, Pelosi is going to now see this as weakness. Trump lashed out, he tut-tutted, but ultimately he gave Pelosi exactly what she wanted without getting anything in return.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/trumps-surrender-on-the-state-of-the-union-makes-it-even-less-likely-pelosi-will-give-in-on-border-wall
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
As Mark Levin noted, Pelosi is going to now see this as weakness. Trump lashed out, he tut-tutted, but ultimately he gave Pelosi exactly what she wanted without getting anything in return.

I agree with Mark...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

I agree with Mark...

Trump is at a disadvantage because the Democrats always stick together, unlike the Repukes.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I agree with Mark...

Simply put, the he nasty old Botox queen out negotiated him on this.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump is at a disadvantage because the Democrats always stick together, unlike the Repukes.

He is in a disadvantage because for the last two years, he focused more on firing up his own base and keeping them angry instead of selling his ideas and positions to outside his base. He would rather have a rally telling the red hats how everyone was against them and he was their savior, than he would going to the 1/3rd or more who could be convinced either way and sell his ideas. He lost enough of the people in the mid terms to swing the votes of the representatives of the people (Congress) away from him. He thinks he could do this by the pure presence of his will and ra ra rallies to his base instead of working within the foundation of a Representative Republic and being the master sales man everyone was told he was.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I agree with Mark...

I do too.  This was Donald Trump's "Read my lips" moment.  It was certain the moment the SCOTUS kicked DACA off the table.

@ABX  I agree with you:  This is a result of Trump not building on ideas since the election, but continuing to build on emotions instead.  Now there is no intellectual support for his "plan."  I don't see a path to success here, now that he caved to Pelosi for nothing in return.  She knows better than to laugh at him in public, but make no mistake:  She's laughing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
James 1:20